Thread: New Light Weight Rain Proof Barney's Bag!!!!

Default New Light Weight Rain Proof Barney's Bag!!!!

Hi all. I got the chance last weekend to test a new light weight rain proof prototype bag. It weighs about half the normal weight and dispenses with the need for a pack cover!!! As always the weight to $$$$ ratio will be in affect, so expect $$$$. Barney's should be offering them in limited quantities for next fall's hunting season! This one is a pinnacle and I should be able to test the Hunter version here in the next few weeks! Enjoy!!
    Brett

Is it noisy? No offense but it looks like tarp material.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Is it noisy? No offense but it looks like tarp material.
    I agree. It looks like it might be noisy. Actually it kind of looks like Tyvek to be honest. Think it is a tough as material as the the regular packs?? I mean would you feel confident dragging it across the rocks?

Does look pretty flimsy. Almost looks like Frog Tog material.

Looks interesting, but saving a few pounds for a couple years of service isn't worth it to me! I think Bob has just about hit the weight/durability limit already.

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    Does look pretty flimsy. Almost looks like Frog Tog material.
    No It looks like dyed 100% Dyneema to me. If I am right however I am going to doubt the water "proof" claim. It may be lined w/ something like DWR or polyurethane but Dyneema itself is not water "proof". It is VERY strong.

Oh yeah and the "Kevlar" packs I am pretty sure are Large grid Dyneema (spectra grid), which is not kevlar but rather a fantastic high end fabric w/ less name recognition. Dyneema is the strongest tensile strength fiber currently in existance.

Does this look familiar....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    No It looks like dyed 100% Dyneema to me. If I am right however I am going to doubt the water "proof" claim. It may be lined w/ something like DWR or polyurethane but Dyneema itself is not water "proof". It is VERY strong.

Oh yeah and the "Kevlar" packs I am pretty sure are Large grid Dyneema (spectra grid), which is not kevlar but rather a fantastic high end fabric w/ less name recognition. Dyneema is the strongest tensile strength fiber currently in existance.

Does this look familiar....
    I sure hope your right. I had a Barney's hunter pack in "kevlar" dyneema and it sure didn't look all crinkley as it does in Brett's pics. Brett claims "rain proof" not water proof obviously cause that woudl require waterproof zippers, a roll top seal and what not. If its may out of a Tyvek like material it will surely be rain proof.

yeah the Dyneema grid ("kevlar") is actually ripstop nylon w/ the white Dyneema strands in a square pattern through it. Full Dyneema is as it sound just Dyneema fibers in the weave. It gets a crinkly look with the dye on it. You can see that pretty clearly on the McHale packs website.

A full dyneema pack is quite literally "bullet proof"

The use of Kevlar, a registered trademark of DuPont, has made body armor lighter and easier to work with, but flexibility has still been a problem. Today, there is a new substance in use called Spectra, a composite material that is stronger, lighter, and more flexible than Kevlar
    Note, Dyneema was invented by a Danish company and was sold in the US under the name Spectra, so they are in fact the same thing...

I'm not sure about fabrics on the respective packs. I will ask Bob the fabric guru. "rain proof" was my phrasing. It is water proof. Unfortunately (or fortunately ) it was dry on my hunt, so i didn't get a really great test. It is noisier. I would drop my pack a little extra in advance with this fabric when on a stalk. It isn't as tough as the Kevlar or Cordura. It is ment to be an ultra light sheep pack not a beat'm up decades of use pack. It is strong fabric whatever it is.

Brett

Dyneema (spectra) is used in the construction of compound bow strings..Mega tough stuff that is not very abrasion resistant.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

costs more, last shorter, is noisier all to save how much weight? two lbs? whats the weigh difference?...i can think of alot of other things i could shave outa my sheep pack to save two lbs and several hundred dollars every couple years.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    whats the weigh difference?..
    x2

I like it though. I actually like it a lot.

I'll be in tomorrow afternoon. I'll try to remember to weigh it.

Brett

Smile green fabric

I'm guessing the fabric in the pack is Cuben Fiber. It is Dyneema fibers laminated in a Mylar sandwich - it is basically a sailcloth, so stay out of heavy winds!

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Moose View Post
    I'm guessing the fabric in the pack is Cuben Fiber. It is Dyneema fibers laminated in a Mylar sandwich - it is basically a sailcloth, so stay out of heavy winds!

Im sure you're right, extremely tear resistant and easily patched with tape. Terribly expensive, if you thought the old pack was spendy wait until they release the price of this thing.

Default heavy packin' material?

Will that bag carry out a hind moose quarter like my Pinnacle in Kevlar will? It doesn't appear to be that strong, who knows? ...test it and tell us.

Resurrecting a dead thread...

Any word on this pack? Did it come to fruition?