Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salmon Shark or Great White?

Default Salmon Shark or Great White?

This shark was caught by a seiner near Ketchikan. Reported to be almost 15 ft. long. seems too long for a salmon shark. Any able to tell from this poor photo?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Question no clue

but thats one BIG FISH!!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default bad photo

Pretty bad photo, but based entirely on size I would say - no way is it a salmon shark.

I just looked at the igfa website and they have a pending world record salmon shark at only 405lbs. I'm surprised its not bigger than that, but the fish in the photo is at least twice that big. There have been various reports of great whites in the past, including whatever grabbed this halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Pretty bad photo, but based entirely on size I would say - no way is it a salmon shark.

I just looked at the igfa website and they have a pending world record salmon shark at only 405lbs. I'm surprised its not bigger than that, but the fish in the photo is at least twice that big. There have been various reports of great whites in the past, including whatever grabbed this halibut.
    Anyone who's been out on the Bering Sea on a longliner (and I think the same is true in the Gulf of Alaska from talking to crews who've fished halibut down there) has seen tons of halibut with the bellies bitten out by orcas. A school of orcas will follow a longliner for days, knowing that the halibut will be easy pickings. I've seen halibut with big healed-over crescents missing from the belly muscle. I think there might not be a tougher fish in the north Pacific than the halibut.

I guess sea lions do that to some halibut, but my experience is they'd rather rip the belly out of a Pacific cod.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

to bad there is no tail in that photo...
    9. Caudal fin -- The caudal fin is the tail fin. In sharks, the caudal fin is heterocercal which means it has an upper lobe that is usually larger than the lower one. In fast sharks like the mako and the great white, the lobes are almost equal. In the thresher shark, the upper lobe can be almost as long as its body.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Too bad its not a better photo. If a salmon shark that would be a huge one. Pretty far north for a Great White but if you had a warm current they might follow it in from their northern CA ranges.

A Pacific Sleeper can get that big (and bigger) and its well within its normal range.

Default reports

Like I said "various reports" - could be orca, could be photoshop. The source of that photo is from an aprn article regarding a book on the subject. http://aprn.org/2007/08/06/great-whi...laskan-waters/ A few other links on that page as well.

I've heard enough reports over the last few years to believe that occasionally great whites are in Alaskan waters. I'd love to see the full story on it.

I also got that pic emailed to me a couple of weeks ago. I have also been trying to find out what kind of shark it is. The few people I talked with from fish and game did not hear about it. Hope someone has some info. I have been hearing of some big shark sitings southeast of Ketchikan.

We saw that photo 3-4 weeks ago and the only verification I've heard was it was someone's cousins uncle's boat that supposedly caught it. It was never in the local newspaper or comments by the local biologist about a big shark being caught locally so it raises suspicion.

There have been reports of Great Whites in the Gulf of Alaska. They come up with the warm current that sweeps threw there, just like the little sea turtles that get lost once in a while. Since Slamon Sharks are a member of the Great White family, I think it is feasible that is what it is.
    About 20 years ago while fishing the last set of Islands out of Seward I saw a shark chasing sealions that I am guessing had 8 feet between dorsal and tail. My guess is it may have been a lost Great White as well...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

for those that eat at the totem in Valdez, the baracuda on the wall is one of two that were caught during the El nino.. (96?97?) the other was so small it slide through the sien they were trapped in and escaped...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    for those that eat at the totem in Valdez, the baracuda on the wall is one of two that were caught during the El nino.. (96?97?) the other was so small it slide through the sien they were trapped in and escaped...
    That's not surprising. The El Nino of 1997 brought a bunch of fish up north that were hundreds or maybe thousands of miles out of their known range. They either caught a mola (sunfish) or it washed ashore in Kodiak that summer. Temperatures in the Bering Sea were way above normal. The crew of one pollock boat fished for yellowfin tuna on the way up from Oregon (not commercially, the fish they caught went in the freezer for home).
    It's just weird what happens when the currents bring warm water up. They might have had an El Nino the year the Aleutian Enterprise went down, which could be why more guys didn't die in that sinking. At least one guy was rescued who had stayed afloat more than an hour in the water without a survival suit or a PFD.

IF that photo is all legit, that would be a Great White, not a Salmon Shark. It is not surprising that there would be a shark like in South East. They have caught them in Washington State and there are Blue Sharks and Albacore in BC, so it would stand reason.

A charter boat captain in Homer told me another captain saw a great white up near Ninilchik a few years back.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

heck there are bluesharks in sitka on a regular basis AKCapt! Have caught more then a few

My folks took a photo of a shark in Seward in 76' laying on a boat trailer. 13ft, 2000lbs, looked like a giant fat burrito! It's a good reminder that the big ones travel up here.

Default sleeper

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    My folks took a photo of a shark in Seward in 76' laying on a boat trailer. 13ft, 2000lbs, looked like a giant fat burrito! It's a good reminder that the big ones travel up here.

I saw some 70's era photos of some huge Sleeper Sharks in Seward. They look like a giant black burrito.

For anyone interested , shark biologist Bruce Wright wrote a book about Great White Sharks in Alaska - its only available on digitial download. Here is the link

http://www.lulu.com/content/993212

Incidentially, hes the only one in the world to have been bitten by one.

by a salmon shark..that is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast