Thread: CMP M1 Carbine arrived

Default CMP M1 Carbine arrived

I bought the kid a CMP M1 carbine, it arrived after a 7 month wait. CMP is out of magazines so we can't shoot it yet. I ordered a $12 orig WWII and a $10 repro.

If anyone in Anch has a spare mag, and maybe a sling, I'd like to avoid waiting 2 weeks. Also, anyone KNOW FOR SURE of any ammo available in a store? We can't find any.

What shape is it in and what quaility level did you ask for

Default Magazine and oiler

I have an extra 15 rd. orginal magazine and some orginal oilers but no sling. I think I have an extra box of surplus shells - but I have better check.

I also have an aftermarket? 30 rd clip but it is not a solid back - I'm saving those!

I'm in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    I bought the kid a CMP M1 carbine, it arrived after a 7 month wait. CMP is out of magazines so we can't shoot it yet. I ordered a $12 orig WWII and a $10 repro.

If anyone in Anch has a spare mag, and maybe a sling, I'd like to avoid waiting 2 weeks. Also, anyone KNOW FOR SURE of any ammo available in a store? We can't find any.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

If this is for your Jr. and you reload...I've got a deal for you.

I have a set of Lee dies and maybe 400 bullets left over from when our son went shooting with me. I'll drop them in a flat rate Uncle Sam box for you. Just send me what the shipping cost was when you get it.

If you're up to that, PM me a shipping address. It's iffy if I can get them out on Tuesday, but Friday for sure.

The only brass I have is a new box of factory ammo. I'd rather not break it down, but let me know if you have nothing.

Default Also,...

have a couple or three extra magazines, (original GI) 15 rounders, and could also ship them flat rate to ya! Your kid'll like the little gun so much, you'll kick yerself for not getting two!
    BTW, I ordered a repop sling from Numrich, and it fits and functions great, just like the original, that is. Without an oiler to anchor it in the butt, I've used a short section of dowel to secure the sling, and it works well, till I found oilers.
    IF you can wait on the shipping, we've been stocking some of the Korean mfg'd 15 and 30 round mags and the feedback we get from the folks who've bought them, they work just fine. They're a bit pricier than GI mags, though. IF you have the option of getting the Israeli mags, they also work just like the GI mags. For some reason, the Israelis still use a LOT of carbines, mostly civilians who I've seen photos of packing them around on single point slings next to their handbags.....better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick if you've a need to poke a hole in two legged critters.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 08-31-2009 at 06:08. Reason: ..

Default Ammo

The Ammo Can has 30cal 272-AMMO ANCH

We have several thousand rounds of US made 30 carbine ammo in stock, good luck with your new purchase

Default ammo

How much for your 30CAL ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by sdi View Post
    How much for your 30CAL ammo?
    SDI,

Do you want some, so you can scalp it at the next gun show?

Are you a gun dealer? By reviewing your previous posts, it would appear that you are an FFL holder.

Default .30 Carbine

Hi All,

Thanks for the generous offers and replys. A local guy sold me an oiler / sling and magazine.

Leonard: I PMed you and I'll take you up on the Lee Dies.....Lee is all that I use because I think they are the best. My son likes to help and asks so many questions that it is distracting to the point that I have write notes while I reload . A few weeks ago, I gave him a couple bucks for helping with a chore. The next morning I got up early and was reloading and he came in and offered me his money if he could help......so I guess I'll write notes and be happy to reload with the kid. At $27 per box, I just can't do it, and want to reload for him.

Someone asked about the CMP rifle......I ordered a service grade. They called after 6 months to cancel my order so I accepted a rack grade. I thought that it was the ugliest thing that I had ever seen (it was black with dry powerdy residue) until a local collector told me that it was fantastic and he would trade for any of his. Apparently, they steam cleaned it. Now, after ten minutes with #0000 steel wool and two applications of lindseed oil (a week apart) it looks great, like a fine European walnut. The collector used gauges and said the muzzle/bore and chamber were in great condition ( I think they sent me a nicer one because I asked them to get me anything before I deployed and they said they would see what they could do). It shoots a little high even with the rear sight adjusted all the way down. I hear that you are susposed to file the front sight down????

I'd like to find an extra magazine, maybe 10 or 15 rounds, and reloading stuff.

Default Your CMP experience sounds...

typical! Received my Dad's 'Service Grade' Garand, and it was severely under-graded. Harrington & Richardson 5-55 barrel date, all matching H&R parts, and the wood, though it had a bunch of 'rack rash' turned out gorgeous after steaming, sanding, and oiling. Beautiful rifle that appears to be a near-unfired, and perhaps handled and poorly stored for awhile
    REMEMBER!!! You move the REAR sight in the direction you want your hits to go, and filing the FRONT sight will make your hits go even higher than you're getting! You adjust the front sight the opposite direction you want your hits to go, so filing to correct a high shot is bad juju!

Default M1 Carbine

You are correct...........now I remember having to buy extra tall sights for most war era mausers because a lot, like Swedes they were set for 300 meters plus and hit 10 inches high at 100. Thanks, I was bass ackwards and will consider increasing my memory vitamins. Glad I didn't try it yet.

Default In the Mail, almost.

Just got back from seeing the ocean with the better half; now back to the work cycle. I'll drop the goodies in the mail on Wed.
    Have fun!

Default Thanks

Thanks, I'll pm when it gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Just got back from seeing the ocean with the better half; now back to the work cycle. I'll drop the goodies in the mail on Wed.
    Have fun!

Stuff arrived! Thanks.....very generous!

We're all squared up. I like your idea of passing on an act of kindness.

Be safe and have fun.