Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATV Weight Restrictions Willow Mtn

Default ATV Weight Restrictions Willow Mtn

Just a heads up that weight restrictions are now in effect for vehicles over 1000 pounds for the Willow Mountain area. Signs have been posted!!

may I ask who the authority is behind the restrictions? I havn't seen any info on it at all.

DNR I believe.....we had heard that the restrictions would soon be going into place and yesterday we seen the signs had been posted. Phone calls to Fish & Game confirmed the matter as well

Question

I know of the the trailheads at Purches Creek and ShirleyTown Road that will get you to Willow Mtn. Are there any others? Anyone tried coming in from the north?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

There are several trails past the end of the pavement that will take you up. Blacks trail is probably one of the most popular as well as the one right by the upper Willow creek bridge.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

actually there are always some sort of off road weight restrictions on state land.. of around 1500lb... they are in the statutes that DNR uses

it is not often they ENFORCE or lower the restrictions... such as the rex trail last year...

1000 is curb weight... that will limit the larger side by side ORV but not the ATV as most 4 wheelers curb weight is around 600lbs
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Can anyone post a link to these regulations. I searched and couldn't find any.

You have needed a permit for this area for 20 years or more. Most never get it. The last time I got this permit it was for the area east of Shirly Towne road. It never was in effect for the trail head near the beaver ponds further east. As the trail at the bridge and the one at the beaver ponds go the the same place we would take swamp buggys over the top at the beaver ponds.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

What's the purpose of limiting weight? Is it for hunting/hunting season only. I'd bet a truck/buggy/etc with 44" tires (or an argo) would do less damage than an atv. I know the fed trails around Nabesna (closed now) use to be a 1k limit.

Tim

I don't know what the weight is of an argo but I find it surprising that they picked 1K 1500 seems more reasonable IF there is major damage. At least the UTV guys could get out there then.

The Willow Mountain Critical Habit Area is always restricted to 1000# and on designated trails. ADF&G Habitat Permit FH-09-IV-GP14-SA. The signs go up during hunting season as a reminder.

The rest of the West Hatchers Pass Management Area is regulated by the Generally Allowed Uses regulations and allows vehicles up to 10,000# w/o a permit. If DNR is saying anything different they are asking for trouble.

edit:
    The Hatcher Pass Management Plan is currently being updated and there have been numerous public meetings this summer. If you or your group has not attended and put in your two cents shame on you.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    What's the purpose of limiting weight? Is it for hunting/hunting season only. I'd bet a truck/buggy/etc with 44" tires (or an argo) would do less damage than an atv. I know the fed trails around Nabesna (closed now) use to be a 1k limit.

Tim
    One trip back in from the bridge that snowbear mentions will tell the story about the difference in damage done between that of a truck/buggy/etc with oversized tires and an atv. I realize that each hunter has his/her own method of transportation but as a member of a family that uses only atv's, finding yourself stuck in the dark with a load of moose and gear, women and children and having to break a new trail thru the woods because you can't stay on the given trail as folks with buggies have been out having a hayday mud riding, isn't much fun! Many hunters use these trails, most carry their families, most ride atv's. It doesn't matter what area you are in, or what weight restrictions may or may not be in place, if bringing your buggy is what you desire, please be respectful of this fact! The more the buggies make the trails impassable to atv's the more the atv riders are forced to go around the mud holes left behind, and the more the country is destroyed. Like many other places, if this continues it is only a matter of time before these areas are closed completely to all motorized vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    One trip back in from the bridge that snowbear mentions will tell the story about the difference in damage done between that of a truck/buggy/etc with oversized tires and an atv. I realize that each hunter has his/her own method of transportation but as a member of a family that uses only atv's, finding yourself stuck in the dark with a load of moose and gear, women and children and having to break a new trail thru the woods because you can't stay on the given trail as folks with buggies have been out having a hayday mud riding, isn't much fun! Many hunters use these trails, most carry their families, most ride atv's. It doesn't matter what area you are in, or what weight restrictions may or may not be in place, if bringing your buggy is what you desire, please be respectful of this fact! The more the buggies make the trails impassable to atv's the more the atv riders are forced to go around the mud holes left behind, and the more the country is destroyed. Like many other places, if this continues it is only a matter of time before these areas are closed completely to all motorized vehicles.
    I'm not going to debate you in this thread but I disagree with your generalized assertions about impacts of the different motorized equipment.

Did I mention a bridge

Whats strange is noone with a buggy that I know would use the trail from the bridge. Its been a mess for 20 years. I rode that trail on an ATV (with a permit) 10 years ago and have never been back its a snow machine trail that gets you to the same place as the upper more hardened trail. Buggys have made some big messes but ATVs can make plenty of mess all by themselves.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Buggy's should be banned from that entire area. Period.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Buggy's should be banned from that entire area. Period.
    Why?

Is this a feud over who's sandbox this is, or do you have a legit reason to say that?

I'm an ATV rider, and in my experience buggies (the real ones, with the wide tall tires, not jeeps and pickup trucks) do far less harm to a trail than ATV's. We recently did Pinochle (three weeks ago) on a day where the buggy's had been in (we met them as they were coming out) and their presence on the trail was nearly undetectable. Only in a few areas could we even see their tracks at all. They certainly weren't the cause of the nasty mudholes and the rabbit warren of trails out there- that was the ATV's. We've met them on other trails also- Boulder Creek and Kings River- and again they were not the ones tearing things up.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Not a pissing match at all, but Ive seen first hand how they leave the trail, not to mention what they can do with their buggy...which could very well be a separate topic...and I'm not overly enthusiastic. Buggy's have a place, but surely not in Willow. The habitat holds far too much water.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Not a pissing match at all, but Ive seen first hand how they leave the trail, not to mention what they can do with their buggy...which could very well be a separate topic...and I'm not overly enthusiastic. Buggy's have a place, but surely not in Willow. The habitat holds far too much water.
    Okay- that's a possibility, I suppose. We tend to ride in rocky areas, not in swampy areas. So perhaps the terrain in Willow is more susceptible to damage- but wouldn't ATV's also be damaging?
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Okay- that's a possibility, I suppose. We tend to ride in rocky areas, not in swampy areas. So perhaps the terrain in Willow is more susceptible to damage- but wouldn't ATV's also be damaging?
    A 700# rig will not give you the ability to move as much earth, or go as deep as a 6500# rig.

Dont make ignorant statements like this.
    Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast