Thread: Predator Hunting Ft. Richardson

Default Predator Hunting Ft. Richardson

Hi all, never done this before, but I was on base in the ORV area, and I saw a sign talking about hunting coyote and fox in the area. It had the opening season as well as saying only shotguns or bow and arrow. I'm going to call and get some more info about where on base to do this, but I was wondering if anyone has done this and has some advice? What kind of shot would you use? 12 ga. or 20 ga.? Does it matter? Also, what are some recommendations on some good cheap calls, as well as techniques? Are the pelts in good condition generally this time of year? Sorry, its a lot of questions, but I would appreciate some help. Thanks.

Get a set of regs and read when the season opens!!

Default id wait

its a little early for good pelts...late october would be better for hair quality...i'd use a 12 gauge with a decent sized load...no less than 2 for the coyotes....maybe 4......check some other threads for shotgunning predators theres gotta be something
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Supporting Member

Default Shotgunning predators

I prefer a 12 gauge loaded with #4 buckshot if I am using a shotgun for fox and coyotes. Pretty dependable out to 50 yards with a tight choke and if you've patterned your gun before going out in the field. Good luck!

An old thread but was wondering how you did back there? If you need help calling some in back there hit me up. I got a hand full of mouth calls and an foxpro as well. Maybe we could get some video of them coming in. What size shot did you go with?

Mthunter