Thread: Fishing Fun and Fellowship on the Kenai Pen

Default Fishing Fun and Fellowship on the Kenai Pen

Finally! I get a chance to make the annual trek to one of my favorite small streams for some bent rod action. Along is a dear friend, Joe H. We get underway at 7:00 am and head to the boat launch. The weather looks great, but the forcast not so great. We cannot resist the urge to believe that the forcaster is never correct!

With the boat launched, and on step, heading upstream, we encounter some small chop, but not nearly enough to turn us around. We arrive at the mouth of a small stream and marvel at first of all how much the terrain has changed from last year, but also at the number of mostly eaten salmon carcasses littering the shore. After the boat is secure, Joe tosses a few casts with the ultra-light, hoping for a coho or two and smacks a nice dolly on the first.

We grab the fly rods and head upstream. As we make our way to the fishing area, we are walking on some "pre-made" trails in the tall grass! Carefully stepping over the piles of poo, mixed with fish and berries... But not to worry, I had along Mr. Remington 870 with 5 3" magnum Brenake slugs in the pipe. The sound of snapping twigs and occasional grunt left no doubt that we were not alone. The furry guys stayed off the radar today however.

We tie on some painted beads and let the games begin.... Joe was the first to produce but I was not far behind. While the action was not as fast as usual, the dollies and rainbows were staged in the deeper holes... the average size however was greatly increased over years past.

We made our way up stream working every seam, eddy, and deep hole the small creek had to offer.

The day produced many line stripping, rod pulsing moments of excitement resulted in many smiles and stories....

While attempting to make that proverbial "last cast", Joe yells out.... "Whoa.... this is a really nice one!!!" I cast a glance downstream and see a flash of a very nice dolly... the line was peeling, the fish was running, but in the end, Joe was able to put a hand on this beaut of the day:

All in all, it was a spectacular day of Alaskan small stream fishing with tremendous fellowship and fun mixed in.

Disclaimer: No fish were harmed in the making of this report.

Cheers

Looks like a nice trip, thanks for the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    Looks like a nice trip, thanks for the pictures.
    I agree, great post, thanks.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Great pics and some sexy dollies for sure. thanks for sharing with us
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Great pics!!

So Joe really is a better fisherman then he is a plumber, and thoses nice pics prove it. thanks for sharing.