Thread: What thread should i use?

Default What thread should i use?

I will be tying mostly Sockeye flies that are tied on a large hook and a little bucktail. What thread would us recommedn? Waxed or Unwaxed? Size? Any help would be appreciated!

Default thread

I use many types when i tye big flies..if you want strong thread to pull very tight (hair bulky stuff) kevelar is good.

often i use 3/0 6/0 or 140 denier for salmon/steelhead flies I think it is danville flymaster type..waxed does not matter..you are not dubbing

Some brands are better then others..

Get a good ceramic bobbin if you dont have one..worth it

Here is a link for the thread i buy http://shop4.mailordercentral.com/ho...s.asp?dept=668

KGPCR, Sportsman's warehouse is liquidating most of their thread. I'm not sure where you are but if a SW is close by, they are cheap. I picked up about 60 different threads and leaded threads.

I use kevlar for Red flies all the time.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

You can tie sockeye flies with **** near anything... Whatever holds it on... Shoe strings?
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

I use 6/0 for most all of my salmon flies, non waxed.

I prefer 3/0 waxed monocord...able to get more tighter with fewer wraps on salmon flies.. A little headcement for good measure though it's not really needed. I am a heavy handed tyer though and the 3/0 serves me well!