Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly line and backing for 8 wt. fly rod

Default Fly line and backing for 8 wt. fly rod

I am trying to determine if it is possible to purchase a single fly line and backing that I can use for silvers and reds in Alaska as well as steelhead in New York streams off Lake Erie. I will be using a Sage FLI 8 wt. fly rod and a Ross Momentum fly reel. So, what type of fly line would be best (floating, sink-tip, etc.)? Can I get away with one type of fly line or would it be best to have two? What brand of fly line is dependable yet doesn't cost an arm and a leg (if that is possible)? Is backing backing or is it just as important to choose quality backing as it is to choose quality fly line? What brands and/or types of backing do you recommend?

You guys were a considerable help when choosing my fly rod and fly reel. I hope I will get the same helpful feedback in response to this post. As always, I appreciate all the help.

Thanks,
    Chad

Extra spools for the Momentum are cheap enough. I would buy a spare spool and keep a sink tip on one and a shooting head on the other.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Erie

WF floating all the way...nothing else makes sense..you can do it all...you never/seldom need a sink tip in most Great lake tribs..it can be nice sometimes but high sticking long leader and indacator is the norm im sure you know. I love to fish Erie and slam fish with all tyoes of flies with a 7 wt floating a 8 wt is to big in my opinion for most steelhead rivers Big rivers it is fine but a 9'6" or 10' 7 wt is ideal most often

Get a overrun line at hook&hackle.com $30 works great..your not dry fly fishing..so any good floating line works..if you fish in the cold ice can damage big money lines also

Backing 20 lb or 30 lb dacron..its all ok no big deal on brand..

I fish Erie & other great lake tribs all season and never change out my WF Floating..in big streams like the Salmon river a Shooting line is great but not smaller tribs..shooting lines get you down deep & out far

Good luck!

Treeguy, do you do much silver fishing in Alaska?

Default reply

Nope just my 2 cents on 18 + years of fishing salmon steelhead trout everwere else.

I love sink tips for silvers.

Drops quick and lets you strip hard and fast while keeping the fly in the target zone.

Default sink tips

They are great but if i had one line it would be a floating wf for most waters i fish ( sounds like he fishes those waters also). If he wants to buy two lines & spare spool perfect!

I am with Phish 100&#37; on this one. A sink tip is my choice for silvers in Alaska. I like the Scienific Anglers "wet tip" type III or IV 14 foot sink tips on my 8 wt. For your Great Lakes fishing, who cares. Just kidding. But having two spools (or more) is the way to go in my opinion. I sure as hell would not fly 4,000 miles to fish silvers in Alaska with only a floating line. Give some thought to another reel and/or spool for your 8 wt.

Below the Momentum spool #4 (7-9 wt) in black is marked down to $180. You can likely find them online cheaper than this. Cabelas was practically giving these reels/spools away recently until they sold out. Look around for some deals.

http://www.fishusa.com/Ross-Momentum...-Spools_p.html

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeguy View Post

Backing 20 lb or 30 lb dacron..its all ok no big deal on brand..
    !

I thought the same until this past week when I spooled a few new fly reels and my centerpin reel. I got some chartreuse Cabelas "Prestige Plus" and it is garbage. The coloring flakes off like powder all over your hand/reel. I have used this backing in the past, but it was white. Worked fine. But don't get the colored Cabelas stuff. I also got some Scientific Anglers (colored) backing for the pinning reel and it was perfect. None of the problems I saw with the colored Cabelas backing. And if anyone wonders why I care for the colored backing, I don't. They were out of white
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Thanks everyone! Some follow-up questions...

So, it looks like it would be best, if I have the extra cash, to have a spool of floating line and a spool of sink-tip, correct? Anyone have any opinions/experiences contrary to this recommendation? Are there any other suggestions of brands of fly line or backing to consider, especially on the inexpensive end?

Thanks,
    Chad

Yes, a WF line and a sink tip would be a nice thing to have. For prices, I say anything in the $30-50 range will give you a good fly line. The premium lines are more like $50-70. I would not get the cheapest line I could find. Personally, I feel that the fly line is very important. You wouldn't put re-treads on a Ferrari would you?

One other thought, adding a sinking section to your WF line. Maybe a way you could cheap out and keep one reel with WF line that you would use more on your home waters. Someone else will have to help you with this one. I don't cheap out on fly lines. I will save my money somewhere else. But some do use a sinking section they attach to floating lines. I am just not the person to tell you about this as I have never used it. But wanted you to know that there may be a different option.

Default Thanks

[QUOTE=danattherock;565634]Yes, a WF line and a sink tip would be a nice thing to have. For prices, I say anything in the $30-50 range will give you a good fly line. The premium lines are more like $50-70. I would not get the cheapest line I could find. Personally, I feel that the fly line is very important. You wouldn't put re-treads on a Ferrari would you?

Off the top of your head, can you think of any specific fly lines in the $30-$50 range?

Default Cheaper lines...

Check out Sierra Trading Post as they have some lines marked down quite often. Seems they sell lots of Orvis lines. Not my top choice, but I have used some in the past and they are good lines. I prefer Scientific Anglers myself. Cabelas has all their lines. Rio is very well thought of. Teeny has some interesting lines. Their T300 is a popular sinking tip. Many choices, but expect to pay $40 or so for a decent line.

Quote Originally Posted by chadakin View Post
    [Off the top of your head, can you think of any specific fly lines in the $30-$50 range?

What kind of line do you want? Are you getting an extra spool? I have some time and will look around online if you give me more info. What else is there to do at 0200

Wife and I work nights, off tonight, so we are just sitting here. Tell me what you are looking for.

Treeguy: I have always used WF line for fishing steelhead, but I wasn't sure how that would translate to fishing in Alaska for salmon. A 7 wt might be more appropriate, my dad actually most often uses a 6 wt, but I wanted a single fly rod that I could fish steelhead in NY and salmon in Alaska. Thanks for the posts.

Chad
    Last edited by chadakin; 08-29-2009 at 23:19. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    What kind of line do you want? Are you getting an extra spool? I have some time and will look around online if you give me more info. What else is there to do at 0200

Wife and I work nights, off tonight, so we are just sitting here. Tell me what you are looking for.
    Well, I will likely pick up an extra spool if I can find one cheap (cheap by my standards of course). So, I guess I am looking for a good $30-$50 WF line as well as a good $30-$50 sink-tip line. As for backing, most anything will work, correct? That is, as long as it isn't colored and flakes off

Chad

whatrya a cabelas rep?!

Quote Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post
    whatrya a cabelas rep?!
    Yep, they sell lots of great stuff.

Default Again, thanks...

What do prefer among Scientific Angler, RIO, and Cortland brands if price is somewhat equivalent? Is a $30-$50 fly line sufficient or would I notice a considerable difference in performance, especially durability and longevity, if I stepped up to the $70 range?

As for backing, will any work or is some backing better than others? Do you recommend 20# or 30# backing for reds and silvers? Sorry for all the questions, but I thought I would ask them well I have you guys on the line (pun intended ).

Thanks,
    Chad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast