Thread: Need a favor

Default Need a favor

My hunting buddy pulled a Kenai caribou tag in a area that does not allow 4wheelers but does allow jeeps. I have a lifted jeep but it is only kind of road worthy. We tried to put a tow bar on it today but no luck due to the lift. We only have 4 days to pull this hunt off and a broken down jeep between anchorage and Kenai would eat a lot of that time up. We are looking for someone that would be willing to rent (cheap) a car trailer. The dates we will need it are Thur 27th thru Monday 31st. If you could help us out or have any ideas please IM me. I am in Anchorage. Thanks for your time.

No 4wheeler but you can take a jeep? Strange..

You didn't post til the 29th and the next thur 27th isnt til May 2010.

Nevertheless!!!

U haul in anchorage rents tow dolly for $44 and a transport for $54. If thats within your budget, yes, I did a little free gratis research for a fellow hunter-so sue me.

Lasthillbilly, you might want to check on the regs with the USFWS as to the use of off road vehicles. Now if you are only using the vehicle on Mystery Creek road, I would imagine you will be ok, but I'm not sure about going off road with it. Give them a call 262-7021.

Default I messed up the dates

I messed up the dates 3rd of Sep – 7th, thanks. Next I have looked into U-haul, however I would rather give some money to fellow hunters, if they have a trailer laying around. And I will just be using the jeep to get down a real ruff road then hike; the trailer would only be used on main roads. Thanks again for everyone’s time and insight, good hunting to all this year.

Seems to me that if it is permissible to drive a jeep down a real rough road, then surely it would be OK for you to drive your ATV down the same road before you start hiking - might be worth checking.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Seems to me that if it is permissible to drive a jeep down a real rough road, then surely it would be OK for you to drive your ATV down the same road before you start hiking - might be worth checking.
    well depends on how the reg is written in that area... NO atv.. does not mean NO highway vehicle..

in areas that require an ORV permit for vehicles over 1500 lb... does not need a permit for HIGHWAY vehicles unless it states ORV and or highway vehicle...

it all gets rather convoluted but DNR can keep it straight...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Opps, I was following intuitive common sense which admittedly sometimes seems to be conspicuously absent from some DNR regulations....IMHO.

Call the Kenai bio and ask him (I couldn't find his number for you). I believe that common sense does not apply here. I seem to think you can't atv mystery road, but can drive it. Don't remember for certain. Can't drive Resurrection Trail though.

Tim

Default Hmmm....

I didn't realize that there were any roads into that area that you could drive anything on. Mystery Creek Road is a good distance away in unit 15. I guess you could walk to unit 7 from there, but it would be a long walk. Resurection Pass is a trail and not open or accessable by atv or jeep despite it being listed as a road in google maps.

I love how this forum works, some one asks for a favor and everyone dissects his question and offers a bunch of useless information. Frustrating!

Perhaps some of this "useless" information might save him from an expensive mistake.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Perhaps some of this "useless" information might save him from an expensive mistake.
    I'm the buddy that drew the tag and have already looked into every option, so in fact it is "Useless."

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    I love how this forum works, some one asks for a favor and everyone dissects his question and offers a bunch of useless information. Frustrating!
    That does happen a lot, BUT, the answer is in there somewhere:

From Nickster:
    "U haul in anchorage rents tow dolly for $44 and a transport for $54. If thats within your budget..."

Tim

Look at the haul road problems until they clarified it, I agree better to ask first.

Default I read them too

I'm the buddy that drew the tag and have already looked into every option, so in fact it is "Useless."
    You might lose your ass if you try with that mentality. They say they recommend horse if available. Contact the troopers first, just in case.
    I see someone overlooking the regs for a loop hole

I am sorry I am not one to drop a dime but call the troopers first.

Additional Requirements and Information

• Hunt Area: that portion of Unit 15B (East) within the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge Wilderness Area. It is recommended to use horses to access this area.
    • This area is closed to off-road vehicles and aircraft acess is extremely limited.

Spoke to the refuge manager, thanks for the concern.

Default cool

sorry if I sounded like an *****, I just reread my post and it sounded too rude and I apologize for that. Just hope you have a good hunt and stay out of trouble.

good luck
    Robbie