Thread: Employment oppertunities?

Default Employment oppertunities?

Hello All,

I'm new to this site, I just found it on a google search. I'm currently finishing up my commercial license at a flight school in Florida, but going to Alaska to work as a bush pilot has always been a goal of mine. My father has a contact with one of the companies up there and is trying to get me a job through that contact, but I'm just wondering if that doesn't pan out what the job market up there is looking like? I'm willing to put up with whatever conditions I need to, and will do whatever it takes to get my foot in the door. Also wondering if anyone knows of specific companies which may be worth paying a visit to, if there are decent prospects I will probably just come up there and start knocking on doors.

-Thanks for your help,
    Nick

Default Experience

Hey nick, your probably going to need at least 250 hours Alaskan time to get hired on. Alot of people get their CFI to add up some alaskan time. Bush flying is a niche, that is not for everyone. What kind of bush flying do you want to do, cub work, 206/207's, or a Beaver, or something on floats. How well, do you read gravel bars, beaches, mountain tops, snow covered strips, ect. I dont want to crush your dreams, but its a small world up here and sometimes hard to get that foot in the door. All the professional bush pilots I know dont make much money, but they do love there Job's(numerous). If you check the archives you will find more information. Good luck

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by nsandin88 View Post
    Hello All,

I'm new to this site, I just found it on a google search. I'm currently finishing up my commercial license at a flight school in Florida, but going to Alaska to work as a bush pilot has always been a goal of mine. My father has a contact with one of the companies up there and is trying to get me a job through that contact, but I'm just wondering if that doesn't pan out what the job market up there is looking like? I'm willing to put up with whatever conditions I need to, and will do whatever it takes to get my foot in the door. Also wondering if anyone knows of specific companies which may be worth paying a visit to, if there are decent prospects I will probably just come up there and start knocking on doors.

-Thanks for your help,
    Nick

Not to mention that our economy up here is rather fragile. Particularly in the wake of the recent slope and mining lay-offs.
    In my area we are seeing a influx of newly arrived, unemployed, outsiders lining up at the local welfare office. At least until the first serious cold snap.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

One of my former employees built time in Alaska with his own Champ that he started to fly in his early teens. He moved on to get his commercial, then started at the bottom flying mail out of Bethel. His next step was passengers in the same single engine planes in various places in N.W. Alaska. Along the way he upped his skills to instrument ratings and multi-engine. He now makes more money than I do and works less hours. It's not bush flying, per se, but it is tough flying in bush Alaska from airport to airport. He plays around with his own plane for the off-field stuff. I doubt he will ever get into a fulltime gig flying off-field, the money and benefits (health/retirement) for what he does now is so much better.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    One of my former employees built time in Alaska with his own Champ that he started to fly in his early teens. He moved on to get his commercial, then started at the bottom flying mail out of Bethel. His next step was passengers in the same single engine planes in various places in N.W. Alaska. Along the way he upped his skills to instrument ratings and multi-engine. He now makes more money than I do and works less hours. It's not bush flying, per se, but it is tough flying in bush Alaska from airport to airport. He plays around with his own plane for the off-field stuff. I doubt he will ever get into a fulltime gig flying off-field, the money and benefits (health/retirement) for what he does now is so much better.
    +1

I did pretty much the same thing, except I'm flying boring jets out of Atlanta now. Build your time...if you want to fly in the north, you need Alaska time, period. Instructing or flying something or other and doing whatever you can to pay for it. There is no place like Alaska, especially the aviation challenges. You'll know within a year of arriving there if you're going to be a north country flyer or not.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I am probably going to go the CFI route and hopefully go north with my CFI/II and a seaplane rating, does anyone know of any particular flight schools that I should fire resumes off to?

-Thanks,
    Nick

Default Alaska flight schools

Take Flight Alaska, www.takeflightalaska.com is always on the lookout for flight instructors. Aero Tech, www.aerotechalaska.com is another that seems to always be looking for flight instructors. My first choice would be Take Flight Alaska. Artic's Air Academy is another in Palmer, but I don't know anything about them or whether they're hiring.