Thread: Shooting in the rain.....round #2!

Default Shooting in the rain.....round #2!

Last wednesday we had a very intense low pressure system roll through this part of the country. So intense infact that my rain gauge ran over in less than 24 hours and it holds 6.5 inches of rain. Durying this storm there were two periods when the sky just opened up and dumped. I was at my lease doing some scouting when the first wave hit and since I knew it was coming I had Dad's old 340 Savage 222 with me in anticipation of shooting it in a heavy rain. I had nailed an old slow moving vehicle sign to a stump next to the drive exactly 98 yards from the mower shed. When I felt the magnitude of the rainfall was about on par with the the rain all those years ago when shooting at the bullet proof coyote I gave it a go.

I fired three rounds at the middle of the sign and then shut the shed doors. Later as I was driving out the drive I looked at the sign.....not a bullet hole one. I just got home from the lease 10 minutes ago. Today is a nice bright sunny day and the three rounds I fired today all made neat little holes in tiny little group in the middle of the sign.

SO...... in regards to the other thread on this subject......I don't give a hooey about formulas, or how many rain drops are in a cubic foot of air, or who shot what group with a 30 cal on a drizzly day.

What I do know is that a 50 grain Hornady SX bullet traveling along at 3300 fps will will not reach its destination at a mere 100 yards in a heavy rainfall! That was my original claim but the nay saying had me second guessing my shooting ability. Not anymore, my shooting is fine its just that those little bullets and the rain can't get along!

Now it can be a dead horse!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thanks ELmer!!! now.. for your next experiment...

we need you to sneak up on that sign in that down poor to give us maximum range... and pattern... to see how close/far we can be.

3 shot groups one yard at a time.. should give a good wash
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Last wednesday we had a very intense low pressure system roll through this part of the country. So intense infact that my rain gauge ran over in less than 24 hours and it holds 6.5 inches of rain. Durying this storm there were two periods when the sky just opened up and dumped. I was at my lease doing some scouting when the first wave hit and since I knew it was coming I had Dad's old 340 Savage 222 with me in anticipation of shooting it in a heavy rain. I had nailed an old slow moving vehicle sign to a stump next to the drive exactly 98 yards from the mower shed. When I felt the magnitude of the rainfall was about on par with the the rain all those years ago when shooting at the bullet proof coyote I gave it a go.

I fired three rounds at the middle of the sign and then shut the shed doors. Later as I was driving out the drive I looked at the sign.....not a bullet hole one. I just got home from the lease 10 minutes ago. Today is a nice bright sunny day and the three rounds I fired today all made neat little holes in tiny little group in the middle of the sign.

SO...... in regards to the other thread on this subject......I don't give a hooey about formulas, or how many rain drops are in a cubic foot of air, or who shot what group with a 30 cal on a drizzly day.

What I do know is that a 50 grain Hornady SX bullet traveling along at 3300 fps will will not reach its destination at a mere 100 yards in a heavy rainfall! That was my original claim but the nay saying had me second guessing my shooting ability. Not anymore, my shooting is fine its just that those little bullets and the rain can't get along!

Now it can be a dead horse!
    Well thats no good!!! Don't know the thread you are reffering to but, I just sighted my Kimber while it was raining. Still able to group with 3 shots touching during the sight in process, but you are saying that my 0 might be off since its not raining?? But it usually rains more than its not during moose hunting so I may just take my chances.

Nah! Next time I have the need for smoking a critter in the pouring rain I'll just drag out something bigger and tougher than those thin skinned little 50 grainers!

Besides Dad has already willed the 222 to my brother and he did plenty of pi$$ing and moaning about me shooting the hundred dollar clunker in the rain.

The test that your askin for are liable to rust the hole in the barrel shut! I'm already the black sheep, somethin like that might get me kicked out of the will altogether...if I ain't already!