Thread: Nightforce?

Default Nightforce?

I've heard several folks talking about Nightforce scopes lately and given their goofy sounding (at least to me) name I thought they were a cheap Phillipines or Chinese derived knock off of something else.

I was kinda surprised these are a US made "premium" kinda optic. I'm really interested in their 2.5-10x32 NXS compact for my mountain rifle but haven't ever seen one.

Anyone have experience with these?

Default NF Experience

This is a relatively new model. I ordered one early this year as soon as they announced this model w/ zero stop and a Mildot reticle. This scope is mounted on a flattop AR using NF unimount. This unit is setup for a specific purpose and long distance carry isn't a factor. My experience with this scope is similar to all the various NF models I have used for years for tactical and sporting pursuits, all quality optics - no complaints. Rugged as all get out, that also means heavy. I wouldn't recommend for use on a dedicated mountain rifle, if lightweight is a primary consideration. With Nightforce you get quality, but, it will cost you. YMMV.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Smith View Post
    This is a relatively new model. I ordered one early this year as soon as they announced this model w/ zero stop and a Mildot reticle. This scope is mounted on a flattop AR using NF unimount. This unit is setup for a specific purpose and long distance carry isn't a factor. My experience with this scope is similar to all the various NF models I have used for years for tactical and sporting pursuits, all quality optics - no complaints. Rugged as all get out, that also means heavy. I wouldn't recommend for use on a dedicated mountain rifle, if lightweight is a primary consideration. With Nightforce you get quality, but, it will cost you. YMMV.
    Good report, also they are almost never discounted, sometimes 5% the most I have ever seen was 11% on line.

Thanks for the info... after digging into the specs and finding a 19 oz. weight I'm less than enthusiastic. I'd still like to see on in person someday.

Little to heavy to huff and puff up a mountain given a choice though.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

I thought they were a cheap Phillipines or Chinese derived knock off of something else.

?

Wrong. These are super high end scopes. The reason you have not heard of them is most folks can't afford them. Talk to anyone in competitive rifle shooting, 50 BMG clubs, etc.. and you will realize these scopes are above Leupold, Burris, etc... in quality. But you do pay for that of course. Top shelf stuff all the way. I wanted one for my Armalite 50 BMG, but got the Burris Black Diamond instead. I am super impressed with Burris (as always) but it was a thousand dollar difference that made me choose Burris in this case.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.