Thread: Castnets in Kodiak

Default Castnets in Kodiak

I did a search and the only one I found was illegal in Petersburg area. What about in the Kodiak area? Completely illegal or have size restriction?

I don't think they are legal anywhere in the state, though I have been mistaken before.

I have a couple that will probably dry rot unless I can find a use.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I agree. I haven't seen any regulations that permit cast nets. If they allowed them at all I could see limited openings for it for hooligan when there's no chance of incidental catch of salmon. If you're ever in Florida on the Atlantic coast it's a blast catching mullet with a cast net. There's no better bait for all the predator fish. It's also lots of fun catching shrimp with them, especially when the shrimp move in thick in the Intracoastal Waterway and St. John's River. I'm hoping to go down there for a visit next month and I'll see if I can get some photos.

We used them for shrimp and bait for wahoo and Mahi fishing in S. Florida.

It took a while to learn how to spread the thing. Once I started fishing with the old timers, the learning curve shot up

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    I agree. I haven't seen any regulations that permit cast nets. If they allowed them at all I could see limited openings for it for hooligan when there's no chance of incidental catch of salmon. If you're ever in Florida on the Atlantic coast it's a blast catching mullet with a cast net. There's no better bait for all the predator fish. It's also lots of fun catching shrimp with them, especially when the shrimp move in thick in the Intracoastal Waterway and St. John's River. I'm hoping to go down there for a visit next month and I'll see if I can get some photos.
    I miss throwing my cast nets, especially under the lights powered by a 4000 watt generator at night when the baitfish/shrimp/squid come in very thick! During the day I'd often gather all the mullet or shrimp I'd need in a tidal ditch for a night's worth of fishing. "Why buy it if you can catch your own?!"

Your not kidding about the shrimp. I use 2 hydroglows when I go. Hopefully I will get one last shrimp run this winter before I transfer out.

yeah I had a am not especially good at tossing it but I have one and was efficient enough w/ it that I could usually put enough green backs in the live well for a day of chasing speck trout and reds around tampa bay.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    yeah I had a am not especially good at tossing it but I have one and was efficient enough w/ it that I could usually put enough green backs in the live well for a day of chasing speck trout and reds around tampa bay.
    I think you could've used a dipnet in Tampa Bay. I wish everywhere I fished had bait that quality and quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    Your not kidding about the shrimp. I use 2 hydroglows when I go. Hopefully I will get one last shrimp run this winter before I transfer out.
    If you're going to be in central Florida in September you should see if you can find out when the shrimp run on the St. John's near Palatka is. I think it's mid to late September. Biggest shrimp I've ever seen. They run up to about a foot long. Scary things and just as good as the little ones, especially fresh out of the water. There's something like a 5-gallon limit, which takes about two throws of the net if you get in the right spot.

Gotta admit, there's probably no other state that comes close to the fishing in Florida. With or without a boat you're never more than an hour from a hot place to fish, and except for some of the jetties and piers you never see a crowded spot.

FloridaScuba, I used to take my HID dive light out to LBTS and drop it in about 4 feet of water, stand behind it, and cast into the light.

Shrimp galore!

Have you ever dove with Kevin in Boynton Beach?

Default cast nets in alaska

this is an issue screaming for a BOF proposal... no reason not to allow them in salt water for smelt and herring, especially since there is no limit on PU fisheries. just needs a proposal and some testimony and i bet it would pass.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Homerdave,

Ya have a good point. However, I fear that cast nets would be used to poach salmon in our rivers and creeks if said nets became available at any given Wal Mart. Then again, that may not be the case due to paranoia often associated with fishing in relative close proximity of other fishermen, and hypothetically game wardens. Also, for example, for those who'd "fish" Cottonwood Creek it'd be easy to poach all day long if one is willing enough to hike away from the crowds. (Yeah, one could counter that without fishing poles one could snag fish with a twig and thread, so what is the "big deal?!")

Crab, with my limited experience, I haven't thrown a net yet that I would feel comfortable horsing a 25# fish out of yet. My net would be ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    FloridaScuba, I used to take my HID dive light out to LBTS and drop it in about 4 feet of water, stand behind it, and cast into the light.

Shrimp galore!

Have you ever dove with Kevin in Boynton Beach?
    Which Kevin? I have fished with a Kevin that is the CEO of divers direct and know he dives a lot. Not sure if its the same Kevin though.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Crab, with my limited experience, I haven't thrown a net yet that I would feel comfortable horsing a 25# fish out of yet. My net would be ruined.

Good point, Phish! And there isn't anything like buying that new net and snagging on an oyster reef either! I've torn up enough of 'em to make me cry...er, scream!

I've waded in the surf during the fall mullet migration run(s) and a few (horse mullet, over two lbs each) get heavy really fast when drawing 'em in from the wade gut, or off the first bar, and wading back to shore to put your catch in the ice chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post
    Good point, Phish! And there isn't anything like buying that new net and snagging on an oyster reef either! I've torn up enough of 'em to make me cry...er, scream!

I've waded in the surf during the fall mullet migration run(s) and a few (horse mullet, over two lbs each) get heavy really fast when drawing 'em in from the wade gut, or off the first bar, and wading back to shore to put your catch in the ice chest.
    If it's a single 25 pound fish it's likely to do less damage than 25 to 50 roe mullet. I caught a pretty big jack crevalle in a net once and maybe I was lucky but was able to release him pretty easily. But those big mullet put up the spiny fins and it's like a vaudeville routine when they start thrashing. If you can drag 25 or so of them up to the beach or into your boat you'll be picking fish and treating puncture wounds for an hour.

I'd be all for cast nets from boats for herring and smelt, but not from shore unless it was allowed by limited openings / EO's. If you set a season that overlaps any part of a salmon run you're going to end up with incidental catch of salmon.

All we need now is for people to find out that a cast net is a lot more effective than a dip net and you'll see people at the Russian River sneaking in after midnight with them or tossing them late at night off the beaches at Kenai and Kasilof. It'd be fairly easy to hide a cast net in your cooler and pull it out when you think you can get away with tossing it. Pretty hard to hide a dip net!