Thread: Bradley smokers. Anyone using them??

Default Bradley smokers. Anyone using them??

I am considering a Bradley smoker for pork shoulders, ribs, and salmon. Don't know jack about smoking. Anyone using a Bradley smoker? If so, what model do you use and what do you smoke? I am not sure if the digital model is worth the dough over the regular model. Beggers can't be choosers, so any info at all appreciated.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thumbs up electric vs. gas and more

Dan,

Do get input from Bradley users;that should be valuable.

I haven't. The only electric smokers I've used are big/little chief and they do minimal jobs ok and nothing more. The gas smokers can do anything, but watch for fire. This bradly seems to go to mid 300 degrees, so that solves most all problems when doing something big, like a pork shoulder; it should do that fine.

The larger smokers I've designed and built use only wood; no electric and no gas. Not feasible in a reasonably-sized smoker though.

Also looks likes it got some nice yuppie wood auto-feed options... that destroys the credibility of the story that you must sit in front of it and toss in a wet handful of chips with one hand and while holding a water spray bottle in the other, and doing a 12 oz. curl with the third... yeah, its tough work... but maybe you can still sell the boss that you must tend it so the house doesn't burn down... let me know how that goes.

Along the thinking of "more power" I'll stick with my Smoke Vault with its independence from an electric plug, ability to get and hold 450 degrees forever, and more. But yeah, that one looks very nice. You'd love it.

Good to hear from you man. Afterall, it was you of course that has me spending the last three days reading up on smokers

As for tossing in wood, spray bottle, and 12 oz curling.. Yeah, that sounds fun. I am looking at keeping the smoker on my screened porch by the grill. Pork shoulders, ribs, salmon, etc... Hoping the Bradley will suffice. Not a "real" smoker perhaps. Not in a traditional way, that is for sure. But the convenience is tough to beat from what very little I know about them. With the free hand using this model, perhaps a second beer
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Post Just one problem...

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Good to hear from you man. Afterall, it was you of course that has me spending the last three days reading up on smokers

As for tossing in wood, spray bottle, and 12 oz curling.. Yeah, that sounds fun. I am looking at keeping the smoker on my screened porch by the grill. Pork shoulders, ribs, salmon, etc... Hoping the Bradley will suffice. Not a "real" smoker perhaps. Not in a traditional way, that is for sure. But the convenience is tough to beat from what very little I know about them. With the free hand using this model, perhaps a second beer
    You got a point there; it should be less "work" to tend since it should not ignite like mine can, and can feed itself more wood (I think... I don't have that fancy pants stuff around here).

Likely the biggest problem you'll have with that smoker is convincing the wife that your presence accompanied by said 12 oz. curl is actually necessary during the smoke. I'd concentrate on the safety of the family angle.... Uh.... she doesn't read this forum, does she?

If you're getting serious about this, run don't walk to your favorite bookstore and buy Jack Whelan's book titled: "Smoking Salmon & Trout". There is none better, and though I've tried, I've never ever seen a recipe for the complicate Scotch Smoke process he describes so well anywhere else except in this one book - he devotes 12 pages just to that one process. Here's a link: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Smo.../9781550173024

Also, if you get one bought, I won't have to endanger my copy by bringing it down to palooza in a few weeks, to show you mine.

Whoops, I guess I should have checked to see if this site is selling it... if they are I suspect someone will chime in though...

Thanks again man. I just ordered a copy off Amazon. Thanks for the suggestion!

Default Bradley Smokers

I owned one for a little while about 5 years ago(non-digital) and it had it's advanteges and disadvanteges.We lived in the second floor of a duplex and the only space I had to put a smoker was on the deck and the Bradley was perfect for that reason.It was also very simple to operate.The things I didn't like was it didn't hold much fish/game.It took alot of the fun otta the actual smoking process and it was too yuppie for me.I like the looks of a good home built smoker along with all the extra room.Hope this helps.

I have a Bradley smoker and have enjoyed it a lot. I have plans to replace it with a digital model. The only thing that could make my Bradley better is thermostatic temperature control and now they offer it.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/index.php

All you will ever need for your smoking meat questions. Enjoy!

Angry Darn you John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post

I'm telling on you John - to my wife! By posting that link above you are now responsible for me spending more time online that before... darn you!

I love smoking meats and fish and have done so since the 80s... but I never thought to look for a forum discussing it. Thanks and +1.

Default PID

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I have a Bradley smoker and have enjoyed it a lot. I have plans to replace it with a digital model. The only thing that could make my Bradley better is thermostatic temperature control and now they offer it.
    Seems many with the original Bradley smoker add the PID below. From what little I know, this is better than a digital Bradley and few buy digitals and add this PID. Read below and I am sure you would get more out of the info than I did. On the Bradley wesbite forum, this sounds like the bee's knees...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...products_id=72

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post

Thanks for the link man. I appreciate it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

thanks John..another forum....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I've had a Bradley Digital Smoker for about a year now. I've smoked just about everything in it with great success. Salmon, halibut, oysters, venison, pork chicken beef ribs, brisket. It's also great for jerky! The smoke is perfect and heat is kept consistent because you don't have to open and close the door often. One thing that is a plus is I had made some aluminum "pucks" made that I use to smoke intermittently and to push through the last two wood pucks. Ebay has some for sale, but I had a "free source" make me some. Also, a good digital thermometer is just about all you need. The only other thing I wish it had is a rotisserie.

Thumbs up

smoking fish i use a "sausage maker smoker" when REALLY Smoke Cooking meats i use a WSM.
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I like mine a lot. It does not hold a lot of fish, but it does make the smoking easy. Controlling humidity is an issue with a lot of King Salmon. I always leave the door cracked open and only use the heat tubes for the finishing temps. The smoker alone is enough heat. The bisquits are pricey but convenient.