Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick puke shoots swan...

Angry Sick puke shoots swan...

Great, just great guys! Someone shot a swan with a bow! Nice! Gee great going guys...can't wait for NO ONE to be prosecuted for this!

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildl...ry/915103.html

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

seems like every year there is a photo of some goose or duck with an arrow in it... normally it is kids with target tips and the arrow is removed correctly..

really it is beyond me as to why a person would do this. i hope some one turns this shooter in and they are prosicuted...

just goes to show there are dinggle berrys every where...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs down

This is the reason why hunting is looked down upon by so much of the general public. Not that the Sick #@%$ who did this is a "hunter" by any stretch of the word, but his actions are dragging every one of us down with him. If you know anyone who does this sort of thing, do us all a favor and report him to the troopers.

If this kind of thing is being done by "kids" with or without target tips... then the parents need to have a good beating. Teach them right or don't buy them the tools to start with!!!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

It is so frustrating that such inconsiderate behavior is ever present. I wonder if F&W or ADF&G thought to dust for finger prints, assuming the arrow has been recovered. Viable prints may lead to the culprit now or sometime down the road.

Without a witness or tip that may be the only avenue to pursue.

Default swan hunting

I have taken a swan in a legal area, 15 years back. I will not take another because if the fact it is a beautiful bird and having blood on white feathers did not sit well with me.

It is simply unacceptable to see an arrow sticking out of a bird like this, or any other animal for that matter. We, as bowhunters, need to agressively pursue the culpit in this instance to ensure the offender(S) are held accountable. It is shXt like this discredits our priviledge to bowhunt.

This kinda of publicity is bad for all archers. I was very dissapointed when i saw it in the paper. This is the kind of thing that closes down archer only hunts.

Default Any news?

Just drove by Tern Lake a couple hours ago. One swan was right by the road feeding. Glassed the whole lake from both the highway and the picnic area and saw no sign of the swan with the arrow. There were a couple vehicles at the pullout with some kind of wildlife conservation logo on the doors and some folks standing by one of the vehicle deep in conversation.

Has anyone heard any further stories on what became of the stuck swan?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Trumpeter Swan shot with arrow

Swan update: At around 10am this morning the Alaska Sealife center captured the swan with the arrow in it. Kayak Adventures Worldwide, one of the Seward kayaking outfitters, volunteered their help and kayaks to herd the swan to the capture area where the SeaLife center staff were ready to capture it. Their Head Veterinarian removed the arrow, disinfected the wounds and the bird was taken back to Seward for Xrays and blood tests. The Xrays revealed no broken bones and no infections. The bird was released on Tuesday evening at Tern Lake and joined its mate.

Default That is good news!

Now, lets get the SOB that did it, and put an arrow in his posterior to see how he likes it.

OK so I agree that shooting a swan before they are legal should be prosecuted. If the shot was taken in a area where hunting swans is a no no he should get hit with that too. Yes the compound shooter who did this should be in a world of trouble. (see fletching in photo no trad guy shoots plastic vanes)

However I think more than one of you is suffering from Bambi syndrome! All do respect guys this is a big white goose and if I get a legal shot I'm taking it! A bird that big is yole dinner for all my geusts and left overs for casarole!

Big dady
    Dude you don't hunt ptarmagin? Blood on brown or black fir is OK but somehow higher contrast colors are out?

Gogoalie
    Is virtually everyone you know a sick puke when they eat snow geese? Hows it diferent when the birds a bit bigger?

Joat
    Agreed this guy is no hunter.....because he didn't follow the law! What if this was a legal harvest gone wrong?

B radford
    Agreed this is really bad for archery hunting.......shoting an out of season critter is never good and a moose with an arrow in the behind is why the anchorage bowl will never see an archery moose hunt. However are you looking to ban archery hunting for waterfowl? Thats were this thread is headed!

Matt
    Good to know there are still some big hearted save everything folks left. Too bad they wasted funding for the real endangered critters on what should have been dinner! Xrays, vet time and antibiotics are expensive, personally I'd rather see them spend that money and time on a species that needs help instead of one thats doing fine.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default ADF&G won't make the effort unless force too

Last year we reported a swan being killed off a little pond close to us. We had taken pictures of the pair a couple of days before and then one came up missing. I look around the area to see if a fox or dog got it but the only thing I seen was foot prints. The swans would come right up to you so who ever took the other swan was no hunter but some low life poor excuse of a human being. Call the F & G and they took down the info but never investigated. Push the paperwork and if by some chance they happen to wonder across a swan they would pursue it. Remember the kids last summer that ran over the swans on Big Lake, never heard nothing if anything was ever done to find them and they had a picture of them doing it. As a hunter it infuriates me when they tag a criminal act as hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    However are you looking to ban archery hunting for waterfowl? Thats were this thread is headed!
    Not in the least bit bro, if you knew me you would know that i am a very avid bow hunter and that my bow comes along on more hunts than my rifle. I was just stating that this is a bad thing for all archers. I personally dont waterfowl archery hunt, but would hate to see those that do get thier season banned. I was refering to the Anchorage bowl hunt getting banned becasue of moose wandering around with an arrow stuck in it. I think you took my comment the wrong way.

Default Rick P...

Hunting at Tern Lake, which is skirted by two of Alaska's major highways and flanked by a state parks picnic area and interpretive site, is no more "hunting" than going to the dang Zoo and shooting a bird in a pen. It is a highly visible tourist site that always has people in the pullouts taking pictures of these birds. The birds are accustomed to people. It would be a very poor decision by anyone who would choose to.

The ADF&G website states that swan hunting is not allowed in this area at any time. So that should answer any questions about whether this was hunting or a criminal act. Obviously it was the later.

Clearly the person(s) who did this (and I'll put cash on the table that more than 1 person was present) do not possess the ethics and decision making capabilities that a real human should have. That real hunters do have. They are scum and don't deserve to be in possession of the tools of our trade. We can only hope that the arrow was taken into evidence and that the culprit(s) slip up again and can be pinned for this crime.

That said, I'm glad that the Sealife Center is putting all that money we give them to practical use. Good that the swan was captured (after the state guy said there is no way to capture a swan... remember that next time they say something can't be done) and hopefully it recovers just fine.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

That was not hunting by any means, the word was clearly taken out of context because an arrow was used.

Butcher Baker used a bow, but that wasn't hunting either.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Is virtually everyone you know a sick puke when they eat snow geese? Hows it diferent when the birds a bit bigger?

Only when they live in town.

I have been served swan on many occasions. along the Yukon and Kuskoquim rivers.

they were called $1000.00 DINNER plates, by the locals...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default We have to police our own...I'll pony up some $$$ for a reward

As has already been said, this reflects poorly, very poorly on all of us. "Us" includes bowhunters, swan hunters and all other breeds of hunters. Personally, I would love to harvest a swan, legally though.

In all aspects of life I subscribe to the police your own or somebody else will theory. I will through $50 into a pot to go to the person who turns this person(s) in.

This person was not a hunter and hunters should not allow the public to associate ourselves with this degenerate.

Anybody else in?

Ryan

Default FYI

ABA has issued a reward of $1,000 for any information leading the apprehension of the individual(s) responsible for this. Even though notice was sent to the ADN article write somehow that didn't make it in the article but the Alaska Wildlife Alliances did...go figure

Actually, the reward info is quite prominently placed in the ADN article...

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildl...ry/919322.html
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Highly doubtful...

that this was a "hunted" bird, as I am sure that a hunter would have either used a blunt, or a turkey blade, or even some sort of razor tipped arrow head. If that were the case, one would believe that the swan's days are numbered, & quickly. However, that doesn't seem the case, so I am leaning that this is a target tipped arrow that some kid or young adult thought would be an opportune time to "arrow" a swan...

Cool

LOL...good one gogoalie,,,im pretty sure he was trying to get a rise out of folks here, considering the caribou slaughter at point hope. WTG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast