Thread: Maybe a dumb question.

Default Maybe a dumb question.

Can non-resident's purchase harvest tickets after a season has started? In Oregon all tags had to be purchased before opening day is this the case in AK?

Default harvest tickets are FREE

but non resident tags cost money....and they can be purchased at anytime
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Talking

Alaska will even let you buy them after the season is closed. No Problem, the state wants the money so bad, you can even buy them on the internet.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Harvest Tickets

The tickets are free and you can get them at any WalMart, sporting goods store, or ADF&G Office. Check the regulations concerning the need for harvest tickets.

I did mine online and was sent caribou harvest tickets for a registration hunt - definitely not necessary.

Regulations vary by species hunted.

Default non-resident tags and harvest tickets

The 2009-2010 Alaska game regulations are free and should be availabe at any sporting good store, or you can download them, here is a link to the regulation web site: http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...gulations.main

Non-resident big game tags- The cost money and it varies depening on the animal. However, you must also complete a harvest report as well, which are free.

Non-residents must be accompanied by a registered guide, or a resident relative.

Page 10 of the regs have all of this info.

Thanks for the link I have read the regs. I think there is a copy in each bathroom and car for my household. I am planning to go down to SE to hunt deer I am know we can take two bucks each I was confused because the season is so long and I am accustomed to having to buy tags before the first day of a season. The regs say you must purchase a tag prior to hunting. I am also confuse as to whether or not I have to purchase a tag for eaxh buck in the limit or if I prchase one tag and then can get two HT's? Also if I was to purchase a black bear tag could I harvest a deer under that tag if unsuccesful with bear as the deer is of lesser value? If so how do I obtain my HT's under the black bear tag?

Default confused

First off........go strait to the source.
    Contact the Fish and Game troopers in the area your hunting. They will tell you what you can and should do.

This is the way I understand it and should only be considered a secondary source of information. I could be wrong.

You have to buy a $150 deer tag for each deer you want to take.
    You can use that $225 Black Bear Locking tag for the Deer or course you'll be throwing $75 dollars to Alaska.

So if you go in the field with a Deer and Bear locking tag you can take two deer OR a bear and deer. I did that on POW as a non-res one year.

You also need harvest tags. In the case of the bear you will have to have it sealed and fill out a hunt report with your regional F&G conservation department.

Depending on what unit your hunting you'll have to watch the dates in regards to deer hunting. All the SE AK units have a little different approach to deer hunting.

POW has the best deer hunting. Don't go anywhere else. All the other islands are void of deer. Run the roads down there and have a good time.

Brian just so there's no confusion, in AK your license is separate from any tags you purchase. In some states your tag serves as your license and some folks use the two terms interchangeably. Also, the term harvest ticket implies a resident while tags in most cases means non-resident...you pay for tags while harvest tickets are free.

You can buy your license and tags at any time before you begin hunting. If that's during the season so be it.

For species with multiple bag limits, like deer and caribou, the harvest ticket comes with multiple tickets to be detached and marked as animals are taken.

For your group you guys will have to buy two individual non-res deer tags if you intend to take more than one deer. You'll still get issued a harvest ticket (used to report hunting and harvest data) with 4 tickets but the most you will use is two (unless you spend the additional ducats to relocate to another GMU with a bag limit of more than 2)

In short, you can buy your stuff in person after you arrive with no worries.

Thanks Erik, we moved to Anchorage last month. With the cost of the move I am trying to do my hunting in the most economical ways I can. I have a brother that lives in SE hence the deer hunt. I was also considering buying a BB tag here but was confused as to whether I can use that tag to harvest deer if unsuccessful. Are you saying that the one tag I purchase will cover me for the bag limit of said species? I.E. my wife and I will be able to harvest two deer apiece after purchasing the tag once? That would make the most sense as it would be a bummer to have to leave the field to purchase an additional tag. I have been trying to ask some of the local guys who sell tags/ dispense HT's and have gotten answers varying from I don't need a tag to hunt black bear to I am not allowed to hunt as a non-resident. I should probably just go down to fish and game.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianPDX View Post
    Thanks Erik, we moved to Anchorage last month. With the cost of the move I am trying to do my hunting in the most economical ways I can. I have a brother that lives in SE hence the deer hunt. I was also considering buying a BB tag here but was confused as to whether I can use that tag to harvest deer if unsuccessful. Are you saying that the one tag I purchase will cover me for the bag limit of said species? I.E. my wife and I will be able to harvest two deer apiece after purchasing the tag once? That would make the most sense as it would be a bummer to have to leave the field to purchase an additional tag. I have been trying to ask some of the local guys who sell tags/ dispense HT's and have gotten answers varying from I don't need a tag to hunt black bear to I am not allowed to hunt as a non-resident. I should probably just go down to fish and game.
    No. Tags are per animal within a given bag limit. In your case if you want to kill 2 deer you must purchase 2 non-res deer tags. If you decided later to go to Kodiak to take another two deer, aside from the logistics, you would have to purchase an additional 2 tags, and if you killed two more deer you'd then utilize your two remaining harvest tickets to report the kills.

In AK a non-res hunter may use a tag on a different species the tag specifies if the dollar value of the tag for the other species is equal to or less than the one purchased. So if you wanted a BB tag you could buy 1 deer tag and still take 2 deer by using your BB tag to tag a deer since the BB tag costs more.

Default Fly in the ointment

But......if you hunt SE in a GMU with a limit of Two and max out your CAN NOT travel to another unit and proceed to fill out that Limit even if it is larger legally. Once you reach the annual limit for one unit your done with that species for the year.

Go in the field with two tags so you don't have to go back to civilization.

You'll lay down like $400-500 aprox. for a non-res deer season with the possiblility of Black Bear just in licensing and tag fees.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    But......if you hunt SE in a GMU with a limit of Two and max out your CAN NOT travel to another unit and proceed to fill out that Limit even if it is larger legally. Once you reach the annual limit for one unit your done with that species for the year.
    You sure about this statement?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Correction

I stand corrected. I reviewed page 17 of the regulations and it does alow for the contiued take of big game as long as you haven't exceeded the annual limit of that species yet.

I tried to cut and paste but It wouldn't in PFD format.

If ya got em, smoke em.

Default specific deer issues

look at page 14 in the reg book....read the light blue section labeled "Harvest Tickets", particularly the last paragraph stating that deer harvest tickets must be used in sequential order and all remaining tags must be carried while afield.......next read the green section labeled "harvest Reports" which states "harvest tickets (except for deer) come with harvest reports attached to them." "for deer, random surveys are mailed to hunters to gather harvest data"

breakdown of what you will need
    each non-resident will need the following:
    -ak non-resident hunting license $85
    -atleast one non-resident deer metal locking tag $150
    -harvest tickets for deer FREE

additional items you might want:
    -second non-resident deer metal locking tag $150
    -non-resident black bear metal locking tag $225
    -black bear harvest tickets FREE
    -federal duck stamp $10-15?
    -state duck stamp $5-10?
    -shotgun with steel shot

all licenses, metal locking tags, harvest tickets, and stamps can be purchased at anytime BEFORE YOUR hunt....one of three ways:
    -license vendor
    -www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license/
    -or by mail from ADF&G Licensing Section
    Po Box 115525
    Juneau, AK 99811-5525
    I believe the phone number for ADF&G Juneau is 907-465-4176 however you should be able to call any ADF&G office and they will set you on the right track

ps good luck hunting.....i have never been able to harvest a sitka blacktail deer....but in my opinion they are the best looking of all the deer species...just remember they aren't as big as whitetails or muleys if you get a 3x3 with eyeguards thats a nice buck...if you get one with forked g2s then thats an awesome deer
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Smile a long years wait...

If it costs to much wait till you are a resident. Heck, you can carry a gun with out a license and do lots of scouting for next year. A "walk in" moose or black bear hunt is probably your cheapest option. Moose puts lots of meat in the freezer, just don't get to far from your truck, they are heavy. Lots of folks do a DLP on brown bear for nothing here on the Kenai. Just kidding, don't do that. Also, understanding the regs as it relates to moose antlers is a challenge, especially for new hunters. Good hunting to you and welcome to Alaska.

Two bits of advice for new to the state hunters. Get a non res small game license for $20 and spend time in the field. Spend the season making sense out of the hunting regs, it took me at least a year when I first came up to make some sense out of them. -