Thread: getting a boat

Default getting a boat

Hey guys as soon as I get home from Iraq, I'm thinking about buying a pontoon. Nothing to fancey but reliable, just something i could drift the kenei and the vally with. Any ideas???

Default Cataraft?

Quote Originally Posted by jdcollins86 View Post
    Hey guys as soon as I get home from Iraq, I'm thinking about buying a pontoon. Nothing to fancey but reliable, just something i could drift the kenei and the vally with. Any ideas???
    A raft for drifting rivers? Cataraft?

I have a Sortsman's Warehouse one man cataraft. It wasn't too expensive and it's nice and durable. I just floated the upper Kenai (Sportsman's to Jim's) yesterday and it worked like a charm.

Default Sportsman's

I'll second the sportsman's warehouse boats. I have the Sportsman's 10 and I am really happy with it. I wold stay away fromt he creek company boats myself, (the ones with the thinner fabric covering the bladders) and stick to the tougher Buck's Bags boats or the Aire cats (like mine.) The fish cat type boats carry Aire's 5 year warranty and are a fantastic value IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    I'll second the sportsman's warehouse boats. I have the Sportsman's 10 and I am really happy with it. I wold stay away fromt he creek company boats myself, (the ones with the thinner fabric covering the bladders) and stick to the tougher Buck's Bags boats or the Aire cats (like mine.) The fish cat type boats carry Aire's 5 year warranty and are a fantastic value IMHO.

I have a bucks bags 2 person. It is a freaking truck. I love it. 5 years on the water with it now and the only problems I have had was I had the stitching on the zipper coming apart. Went to tent and tarp 50 bucks later both toons restitched. I have run it over more gravel bars, rocks, stuff and it is a champ. We just did the canyon in it and i put it right through the middle of all the white water and it was a pleasure to row and enjoy the ride
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

If money is an issue at all, the Buck's Bags are nice craft. How many people are you gonna be fishing? If just you, the 9' will work well for $400. If fishing multiple folks, alaskahippie's raft might be a good option. It rows like a drift boat (or so I'm told) and has nice fishing platforms in front and back with casting bars.

NRS makes a nice boat but they are spendy and heavy.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

i would like to stay under a 1300$, i really dont know that many ppl that fish and are willing to drive from fairbanks to the kenei to catch some fish... i was thinking a 2 person just in case some one wants to come
    thanks jake