Thread: Hunting birds

Default Hunting birds

I am looking to do some bird hunting around Eklutna Lake area. Anyone have any advice or experience bird hunting their. I am hoping to take Ptarmigan and Grouse.

Thanks for any help offered,

Default Lots of grouse

I have seen many grouse out there. I've hunted moose several times and only kill grouse. Come to think of it, I don't think I've even seen a moose out there. Anyway, try across and below the spillway. You'll have to walk through some pretty wet acreage first, but you'll see grouse. I can't help you with the ptarmigan. I haven't seen any, but then I've been up in elevation only twice.

Enjoy!

Turn and walk up the hill, once you get above tree line you'll start seeing Ptarmagin.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Talking

Thanks for all your help. I hope to take my 8 year old son with his bow. since getting back from my Bou hunt he has been really excited to hunt something. Also does anyone have suggestions on getting Flu Flu arrows? I have only found wooden arrows online. I find my Hunting arrows fly way to fast for the bird hunting. Then again, maybe a I need a new "bird" bow Will see what the wife thinks about that.

I refletch 5575's using a stacked set of 6, 5 1/2 inch shield cut feathers. Stupid chickens might not be fast enough to get out of the way of full feather fluflu's but ducks, crane's, foxes, rabbits and squirrels sure can!

Let me know if you'd like a demo sometime, I find fletching my own relaxing.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Here is a pic of how I rig my duck arrows. Note that I fletch all my arrows with a helical, even fluflu's, you can hear these bad boys spin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try. Does the big fletchings wear out the rest faster?? I have the Hostage pro rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try. Does the big fletchings wear out the rest faster?? I have the Hostage pro rest.
    If i am not mistaken, your fletchings shouldnt even contact the brushes on our hostage pro rest.

Well I guess I had wondered about that. someone once told me that the arrow was already spinning by the time the fletchings are passing through the rest. I was under the impression that this was one of the benefits of switching to the blazers rather than the 4 inch vanes. Needless to say I will still make some Flu Flu arrows to kill some birds and hopefully not lose too many arrows.
    Thanks again for everyones comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Well I guess I had wondered about that. someone once told me that the arrow was already spinning by the time the fletchings are passing through the rest.
    I dont think the Arrow starts spinning till it clears your riser. If it didnt it wouldnt matter what size vanes you use. Blazers sit as far back on your arrow as a 4 inch vane does.

Good luck bird hunting bro, post some pics of those flu flued arrows some time.