Thread: Kenai Fall Trout Peak Time?

Default Kenai Fall Trout Peak Time?

What would you guys who fish the Kenai Rainbow season say is the point where it starts diminishing on quality? That is given that the river doesn't surge up or anything like that. I was down last year the first week of October and did great from Skilak to Bings. It was snowing and cold, but the fishing was good. I want to come down again, and am trying to see if even later than that is better or if I'd be better coming down the last week of September. Thanks for any info on this, it's a gamble either way probably.

Fish it 'til it freezes
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Fish it 'til it freezes
    That pretty much covers it for sure. I find that from early october on you trade quanity for quality. You might not get 25 fish a day but the 6 to 10 you do get are big fat hogs. I will fish it hard through october then pick some warm days +20 to fish it in november through march
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Great

Cool beans, I'll push the boat across the ice if need be to get to flowing water. Thanks for the info guys. I'll sacrifice numbers for size any-day.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Cool beans, I'll push the boat across the ice if need be to get to flowing water. Thanks for the info guys. I'll sacrifice numbers for size any-day.

We floated sportsmans to jims through december last year. After the cold snap it locked up but we fished up at the bridge through march and still caught fish up to 28 inches there.

We have lauched the boat of some 4 foot ice shelves before. Those drift boats just slide right in
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

To me the balance of quality vs. quantity line is crossed the last week of Sept to the first week of Oct. The number of fish hooked really starts to fall off into mid October. I know you mentioned hogs will make up for slower action, but the fishing can slow enough that you will eventually trade off the possibility of a pig just to catch a decent fish. Some nice fish are available into October but the action can get very slow to non-existent. I'm as rabid as the next guy for catching big fish and I've caught rainbows in the Kenai every month of the the year (when it was legal) but at some point it you'll just want a tug on the line. once the calender gets into late fall I usually switch to steelhead for my big rainbow fixes. Good luck.

I was down the third week of September last year and then again the first week of October. I didn't really notice much of quantity or quality difference. The number of "The Living Dead" Pinks was amazing though and trying to stay clear of them at times was tricky. I'm probably aiming for the beginning to middle of October at this point due to work and friends schedule. Last year beads were still hot at the beginning of October. Does that change much time-wise from year to year, or are beads usually pretty hot throughout October? Thanks for any more tips, I'm bringing everything and the kitchen sink, so I'll be ready. There was a good post with new flies at alaskafishingoods in Juneau with a few patterns I "had" to get. Happy Meal is a really creative one I'm looking forward to trying out.

reading this with great anticipation...maybe I'll finally do a rainbow trip this year...sometime

Default Make the Trip

TradBow,
    Make the trip, you won't regret it. I went a few years ago for the first time, but the river was really high and fishing was poor. Last year though, it was unbelievable with lots of big fish. 10 minutes never went by without a fish on. Bring your beads and join the gang, it's a blast.

the only time I haven't done well is the first week of september because the fish are often so full by then they won't move at all to eat anything
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.