Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Rod, Pissed off Customer

Default Broken Rod, Pissed off Customer

I was doing a few practice casts this afternoon out in the bay. I was trying to get used to my 10wt Albright EXS. I got it snagged a few times and kept casting. The last cast I got the fly stuck pretty good in between a few rocks, so I pulled on the rod in every direction I could to try and get it loose. Finally I put a nice bend in the rod and tried pulling the hook out. Well what I thought was going to happen was the line was going to part or by some miracle the fly would pop out. What actually happened was the rod shattered into about 8 or 9 pieces. I had 12# test for a leader and this 10wt rod exploded right in my face. I wrote the company an email but as I read their warranty I noticed that they do not honor rods bought on SierraTradingpost.com. Morale of the story is save your money and purchase a rod like a Sage or Winston or G loomis with a lifetime warranty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00032-1.jpg  

Thumbs up

All my money goes to Sage. They will warranty their product. Even a rod that you built from a blank. Of all the rods I have used, I can feel the fish bite better on the Sage. Don't know why, don't care.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

LI, how many fly rods have you used?

I'm not starting anything, just curious.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Holy cow. I have broke a rod before but I have never seen one go to pieces like that.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Bad Break

Wow,
    I've shattered some graphite before, but never that low into the rod. It looks like it shattered just above the cork, which should be one of the thickest areas of graphite on the blank. Very strange, sorry to hear about the warranty non-coverage deal. Sage, Gloomis for me... I've heard the TFO rod's have a super warranty too.

That's a bummer, there must have been something wrong with the rod to blow up like that! Makes you wonder if factory second rods are being dumped to Sierra hence the no warranty BS.

I can speak to the Loomis warranty......Last year broke 3 to bad luck (bone head) situations and told them straight up what happened and they replaced them all for $20.00 ea.

I've only seen one rod snap like that and it was being torqued more than any rod I've seen since. It must have had a chip near the handle or the cork was put on incorrectly.

That's a wicked break no matter how it's sliced.

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    What actually happened was the rod shattered into about 8 or 9 pieces. .

That is bizarre man. Not sure how many times you slammed the trunk on that rod, but that is alot of breakage. Never seen it before myself. Reading on Albright's website, I see your area of concern. Perhaps they will do the right thing, but hard to say by all the exclamation points at the end of the last sentence. I also take objection to the "not eligible for repair" part

"Please Note: Any products that have not been purchased from Albright Direct LLC via the Internet are not eligible for our Warranty program. Any products that have been purchased via any closeout services, such as Sierra Trading Post or other venues, are deeply discounted and sold “as is” without any warranty. Such closeout products, as well as discontinued products, are not eligible for repair or replacement.

*** The validity of all Warranty claims are STRICTLY determined by us in our sole discretion!!!! "
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The disclosure doesn't instill much confidence in Albright. I will not own one of their rods.

Discontinued rods are not warranted?

That's worse than Cabela's.

JUNK!

Default General thoughts....

The last cast I got the fly stuck pretty good in between a few rocks, so I pulled on the rod in every direction I could to try and get it loose. Finally I put a nice bend in the rod and tried pulling the hook out. .

Don't need to tell you this was a bad idea at this point

But below are some general guidelines on fly rod care from the Scott website. Some of the info may be of use to you.

Follow these simple steps to ensure your Scott fly rod will perform at its peak.

Asssembly and Disassembly
    Grasp the opposing rod sections close to the ferrule (without touching the guides) and firmly push them together with a downward twisting motion until the sections are aligned and snugly seated.
    Disassemble by gently pulling and twisting apart.
    Internal ferrules should have a 1/8-1/2 inch gap between sections to allow for proper flex and wear.

Effects Of Water On Your Rod
    Your rod is made to perform on the water and is designed to get wet. It is not made to withstand storage while wet.
    Always completely dry your rod before storing it. Otherwise, you will have mildew, mold and/or corrosion on your rod next time you take it out of its case.
    Always rinse your rod with freshwater and dry thoroughly if you've used it in salt water.

Preventing Rod Breakage
    Avoid hitting the rod with hard or sharp objects like tree branches, weighted flies, split shot, or rocks. This can either break the rod or cause damage that will lead to breakage.

When playing and landing fish, try to avoid rod angles greater than 45-50 degrees. Never lift a fish so that the butt of the rod is pointing at the fish (high sticking) or use your non grip hand to lift fish from the middle of the rod.

To dislodge a snagged fly, point the rod directly at the snag and pull back on the line until the fly dislodges or the tippet breaks. It is much less expensive and painful to lose a fly than to break a high performance hand crafted rod.

When stringing your rod, fold the end of the fly line in two and pull it and the leader straight through the guides without bending the rod.

The tip of your rod is the most vulnerable section as it is fine in diameter, light weight and usually nine or more feet away from you.
    Most fly rods are broken in car doors, windows, ceiling fans, vaccum cleaners, by pets, or just about any thing other than actual fishing. Extra awareness when moving with your rod assembled or setting it down will extend its life.

Please take good care of your rod. It will take good care of you back.

http://www.scottflyrod.com/scott-home/home

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    All my money goes to Sage. They will warranty their product. Even a rod that you built from a blank. Of all the rods I have used, I can feel the fish bite better on the Sage. Don't know why, don't care.
    My experience is just the opposite. I sold all 17 Sage rods that I had and now fish Winston rods.

It's not that Sage rods aren't good rods, because they are very good rods. It's just that for me Winston rods are better. I can feel the fish better on the Winstons and they protect tippet better than rods by the other companies.

I've sent it two Winston rods and one Sage rod for warranty repairs and both companies sent the rods back looking like new in a reasonable amount of time for only the cost quoted in their warranty.

You're lucky you didn't get some of that back in your face! Doesn't look like a high sticking issue since it's broken so far down, but maybe a combination of overstressing at the wrong angle and poorly spined or stress cracked. Is the section just above the cork the piece about 4" long in the lower right part of the pic?

here is the email I received from the CEO of Albright. I think I am going to send him the picture and reiterate how poorly the rod performed.

William,

Unfortunately that series has been discontinued for some time and most probably you bought it on a Close-out from someone like Sierra Trading Post. We are trying to re-start a Warranty program for the EXS but that will not be until 2010. I would recommend getting one of our XX 10wts http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-r.../xx-910-4.html and with our Direct pricing you are still getting a great deal as well as FREE Shipping.

Thanks,

Michael Kahn
    CEO/Owner
    Albright Fishing Products
    Corporate Headquarters
    300 Jericho Quadrangle
    Jericho, NY 11753
    Tel: 516-683-0775 Int'l
    Tel: 866-359-7335
    Tel: 800-781-7703

I am 100% positive I will not be sending Albright any of my money for a new XX 10wt!

My Ugly Stik could pull a car out of the ditch. Not pretty or fancy, Hell its not even that good as a fly rod but its a great Sockeye rod.

Default rods

I broke a cheap rod Bass pro brand few weeks ago...never agian will i have anything like that happen..

I own good rods like Winston Batson & so on and they take it back and fix it...pays big time in moments like this

Many buy TFO these days becasue they have such a awsome deal no fault fix

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    My Ugly Stik could pull a car out of the ditch. Not pretty or fancy, Hell its not even that good as a fly rod but its a great Sockeye rod.

I here you. I have an Ugly Stick 11/12 wt that will stop a train. I found it on the confluence on the Russian/Kenai several years ago in about two feet of water. It was low water, October. It had a reel attached as well. It had been there a long time due to all the creatures living on the rod and reel.

I cleaned it up and now it's my go to combat rod. I once stopped a 50 in Willow king from going into the brush that was about 20 feet away from where I hooked it at my feet. I had on some 40 lb test and put one heck of a bend on the rod and just about instantly stopped the surge of the fish. I'd never have tried that with my fancy pants Loomis 10 wt.

It isn't a sweet caster, but it sure is tough!

BTW, if the owner sees this they can have it back. Let's not start a guessing game for the rod/reel combo either.

I try to get some sort of warranty on all my rods here in Alaska. In the very least I like to know that I can get a replacement section for a reasonable price if I am the one who busted it. Done that more than once.

AKGunner

Default Any advisory from Sierra Trading Post?

LitoAk,

When you ordered the rod from Sierra Trading Post, did STP give you any idea that product warranty might not apply? Seems reasonable that they should.

6X

Holy smokes! I've never seen a break so clean in so many places. This doesn't seem physically possible while fishing. Makes me wonder how it really broke!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    Holy smokes! I've never seen a break so clean in so many places. This doesn't seem physically possible while fishing. Makes me wonder how it really broke!
    Trust me it broke just how I said. Pulled on it to see if I could get the hook freed but it exploded right at the top of the handle.

Also I can't remember if Sierra Trading Post mentioned anything about a warranty. But these rods brand new were sold for almost $500. I don't care if the rod was purchased from Sportsmans, B and J or wherever, a rod that expensive should be backed up by a warranty.

Trust me it broke just how I said. Pulled on it to see if I could get the hook freed but it exploded right at the top of the handle.

Also I can't remember if Sierra Trading Post mentioned anything about a warranty. But these rods brand new were sold for almost $500. I don't care if the rod was purchased from Sportsmans, B and J or wherever, a rod that expensive should be backed up by a warranty.
    No offense, friend... but as a composite/graphite/carbon-fiber aircraft and powerplant mechanic with 25 years of experience. That just plain wouldn't happen with the scenario you describe. The breaks are just too clean in the picture you're showing. Have you ever seen a carbon arrow destruct? They shatter in shards and it's not pretty. I don't know if your rod is brand new, or if it was tampered with prior to your ownership. I'm not claiming that your story is BS. It just doesn't jive with the mechanics of the construction of your rod!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast