Thread: Probably a long shot.....

Default Probably a long shot.....

The wife and I just moved to Anch from Oregon and we are both huge duck hunters. I grew up hunting the Klamath Basin and she started to hunt with me. I knew I had to marry her after she layed in a frozen stubble field during a blizzard without complaint. We moved all of our gear up with us but could not find a way to move up any of our boats or canoes. The move up was super expensive so I will have to wait till next year to buy any toys or figure out a way to move one up. I am wondering if anyone could possibly take us out? I know it sounds bad but other than some walk in spots I am going to try I don't have a whole lot of options. We have any gear we may need including dekes just don't have transportation. One more question I have heard there is a spot in Delta that you can pay for a bind? Anybody have any feedback on that?

Post C&S Charters

Quote Originally Posted by BrianPDX View Post
    One more question I have heard there is a spot in Delta that you can pay for a bind? Anybody have any feedback on that?
    BrianPDX,
    Here's the number to C&S Charters in Delta, 907-488-2589. The flyer I p/u a few weeks ago shows $75 per person/per day. You can do a search on the forum for more info regarding. Welcome to AK and good luck this season.

Default boats

Well just a guess but taking it your not military. If you are then outdoor rec you can rent boats for sure and canoes i think. Also do a search to see if there are places to rent canoes down there im sure there is some where. Well good luck and happy hunting.

Matt

Thanks for the info. Nope not military, we just wanted to come up here for a long time and have the good fortune to work in a field that allows us to follow our folly. I will be more dialed in next season but I don't have it in me to sit on the sidelines for a whole year. I will be hoofing most days but from the what I have heard it aint easy.

Call me 227-4261
    Duckdon

Default look for sloughs around the area

I hunted in OR for years. I too am a transplant duck-a-holic. I looked at maps and google earth really close and found sloughs along the chena and tannana that were foot accessable. My first couple years I got an inflatable 10" raft from Sam's club and found two people with backpacks (one with raft/pump and another with a batch of dekes) could moved down to a slough near a river and do surprisingly good. Heres a simple one. Check out the area between North Pole and Eielson. Moose creek near the Tannana with a few dekes and a raft can be pretty good

Default hoofin it

Hoofin it isn't too bad. You can kill some birds that way. It isn't as hard as what everyone will tell you...but it isn't going to be a full limit every time you go out.
    Watch the mud - pay attention to the tides and put some rubber to the mud and you will find some shooting. These birds are not the brightest in the pond...you don't need many deeks. I don't mind hiking the flats - but my wife gets pretty scared of the mud

Default find a creek!

I look for small creeks with foot access and jumpshoot at the beginning of the season, well until I found a bear track my boot fit in. That was the end of jumpshooting that day!! I take 3-6 dekes and hunt smaller creeks and sloughs. I know a lot of guys have good luck with the huge spreads but I just cant carry all that in by foot.