Thread: Ptarmigan or Quartz - Bows and Dollys

Default Ptarmigan or Quartz - Bows and Dollys

Was thinking about taking a newb out for some easy bead fishing and wondered if anyone had fished Ptarmigan or Quartz lately. Might be a little too late probably lots of fish moving back into the lake and main river at this time.

Any thoughts?

Quartz was very hot but there is a thread on it going now that said it had slowed down quite a bit. I have no idea on ptarmagin. quartz is still worth a shot, Folks were fishing it when i came home last sunday or you can walk into the kenai and see what is happening
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I fish the Quartz on Friday with beads and it was hot! Dolly's and bows.

I fished the kenai lake shore a few days ago and there are still lots of fish rolling in the lake near the ptarmigan outet and the trail river outlet.

I have been skunked on Ptarmigan creek on every outing because I'm trying to teach myself to fly fish. I had a great trip over the denali hwy and caught lots of fish, but I just want to be able to do it closer to home. Ideally in ptarmigan and quartz creeks.

I saw some people floating these orange marshmallow looking things I imagined were supposed to look like eggs and they said they were picking up rainbows off of them. I just want to catch and release these fish so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm ready to hit the creek whenever, I just need to know what to do.

I'm particularly interested in learning some tips for Quartz creek. I've walked some large sections of it and I think its such a pretty creek. But I've always been skunked there too.

Fished Ptarmigan the other day and it was slow. Did not see anyone else fishing all day either. Fish were holding in unusual spots as well.

Default Quartz

Fished Quartz on Saturday with good success. Stars of the day were nice 23" Dolly and a beautiful Bow. 6mm beads seem to still be doing the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish6025 View Post
    I saw some people floating these orange marshmallow looking things I imagined were supposed to look like eggs and they said they were picking up rainbows off of them.
    The floating marshmallow-looking things were strike indicators. They're used to alert the angler that a fish has taken the bead egg attached below the indicator.