Thread: Hey ! You forgot something!!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Hey ! You forgot something!!!!

WELP, after a nice ride the other night and spending some time on the trail patching and repairing my buddies NEW NEW NEW 2000.00 atv wagon....

it reminded me that one thing i see more of every year then moose?

YOUR meat wagons along side the trail missing a wheel
    every year a ton of guys hook on to it and run...

DON;T FORGET TO GREASE YOUR BEARINGS.....

pick up one side if the tailer if the wheel wobbles on its bearing... REPLACE them.. if not wobble or growl when spun... you should at least grease them

if they are more then a few years old.. bearing are cheap and easy to replace... bearing buddies with grease fittings in the center are a life saver...

if your wheeler hunting this season.. don't forget to pack a small grease gun in the wagon... all that water and mud will pack in there and fail when least expected...

if you just got a new used trailer???? HAHAH!!! bet it needs bearings... or at least a good grease job...

the process is easy if you never have...i will lay out the basics.

take the wheel off the trailer..

using a small flatt screw driver and hammer... tap and pry the center grease cup out..

remove the cotter pin in the center nut.\
    remove center nut...

( when replacing bearings GET NEW SEAL...on rear)

remove the OUTER bearing... and wheel /hub will slide off the Axel
    on the back of the hub is a wheel seal and another bearing behind the seal..

to repack a bearing...(all new bearings need packing)
    place a small amount of grease in one palm of hand... (apx table spoon x2)
    scrape edge of bearing in and out of palm while turning it .. until edges are full and grease is out of hand..( or you can buy the bearing packer that you pump with grease gun)

install bearing in revers order ( set in reaces correctly)and replace a new seal... a small flat bar across the seat and hub will ensure it goes in flat and flush...

put hub on the Axel and push into place replace outer bearing and center nut....

run it down snug..... spin wheel (pay attention this is important)
    snug up and spin....spin spin spin....

LOOSEN nut 1/2-3/4 turn and install cotter pin keeper...( don’t forget it or wheel will be along side trail)
    you have just pre-loaded your bearing in the races...

tap center grease cup back in place... BETTER YET ..

REPLACE IT with the bearing buddy grease able types...

one side should take 5-15 min.. depending on experience and will greatly increase the productiveness off your trip...
    i always carry a spare set of bearings ( hey there 2 bucks each) in my tool kit.

and spending an extra dollar on grease for marine water proof types GOES A LONNNNNNG way...

good luck... and get some rubber gloves if you dont like getting your hands dirty... you could pay a guy... but then you have to pay him extra when it is broke on the trail and you dont know how...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

good reminder...they should probably do the same with the trailer they are hauling the wheelers on too!

Default Nice Job.

Awfully decent of you to offer that free advise, Vince. It's simple, but can save a ton of grief!

YEP, and the non drive wheels on all 2wd vehicles! My buddy spent a week running around Colorado in the mountains w/ his ford ranger. HE rolled back into town (wichita falls TX) at the end of his trip and came by my place to see if I could look at his brakes since they were squeeling. I threw the jack under the rig and got the front tire off the ground then gave it a shake. The thang absolutly just wobbled around! A run to the zone and we camb back w/ like 15 dollars in parts. I yanked the wheel then lifted off the calliper. With the calliper off I reached down and grabbed the hub and pulled it right off!!! Notice I don't mention removing the castle nut or cotter pin, they were still there along with a few mangled pieces of the bearing cage!! This kid very nearly lost a front wheel right off the spindle, thank god for disk brakes!!! Moral is, learn this stuff folks it could save your life!

Default 1 wheel

yeah it is no fun driving two more miles to camp and putting your wheel back on every 500 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    Awfully decent of you to offer that free advise, Vince. It's simple, but can save a ton of grief!
    yeah I was going to rep him for it then I realized.... No Pics!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    yeah I was going to rep him for it then I realized.... No Pics!
    oh i thought about it... but you know digi cameras and wheel bearing grease, are synonymous with ticked off ol ladies...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    oh i thought about it... but you know digi cameras and wheel bearing grease, are synonymous with ticked off ol ladies...
    Aint that the truth!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    good reminder...they should probably do the same with the trailer they are hauling the wheelers on too!
    Yep and, before you leave, make sure you have the right spare for the trailer you are taking.
    “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by GreginAlaska View Post
    Yep and, before you leave, make sure you have the right spare for the trailer you are taking.
    sung with a song of familiarity?

meet on face book here