Thread: Autoloader Reloading BAR

Default Autoloader Reloading BAR

I have an old Browning BAR 300 Win Mag.

I've considered FL sizing and COAL and thats just fine. A little shorter than what I would do for a bolt gun and I made sure they were sized completly to feed proper. But what I'm wondering if I need to go higher in charge weight to compensate for gas powered operation.

I just loaded up 40 rounds
    Mag Primer
    70g H4350
    165 Nosler Spitzer

Do you think that will be ok? I haven't fired em yet. I looked through two different reloading books but all the test guns were 24" barrel bolt guns.

Thanks

My wife has a BAR in 30-06. I typically load her some light rounds for practice and they seem to cycle fine. Not sure if this helps.

Default not sure about a BAR...

but my Garand works just fine with starting loads.

My wife’s Winchester model 100 in .308 and my M1 Garand also works fine with light loads.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thumbs up BAR Browning

I have a BAR 30-06 since early 70's.....my first.....I use RCBS Small Base Dies....that were orginally made for BAR........and changed my spring with a Wolff Power Spring. Made a world of difference.

I have used 57.0 of IMR 4350 with 180 Nosler Part as my standard load for years.....like over 30...........sure is great combination.

The BAR is piston operated which helps......just make sure you clean the piston in the forearm.
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I have an old Browning BAR 300 Win Mag.

I've considered FL sizing and COAL and thats just fine. A little shorter than what I would do for a bolt gun and I made sure they were sized completly to feed proper. But what I'm wondering if I need to go higher in charge weight to compensate for gas powered operation.

I just loaded up 40 rounds
    Mag Primer
    70g H4350
    165 Nosler Spitzer

Do you think that will be ok? I haven't fired em yet. I looked through two different reloading books but all the test guns were 24" barrel bolt guns.

Thanks
    The gas system of the BAR will handle the full range of loads for the 300 mag. It seems you are asking if you should increase the load to give the same velocity as a bolt gun. If that is the case, no. Any load from any manual should be worked up to the max level, I don't think your load is there, rather mild actually, but you don't need to add powder to compensate for any loss from the gas system. An autoloader is typically only a few fps slower than comparable barrel length bolt gun. I do think you will have more reliable feeding with small base dies. Since you have a standard f/l set you could buy a small base body die as an additional die and use it when needed. You will find that the higher pressure loads in the belted mags will need a SB sizer frequently. The autoloader does not have the strong camming action of the bolt gun and cannot close on a tight case from just return spring pressure, thus the need for the small base sizing. It won't help with the belt once you have expanded it to the point where it won't chamber.

Your rifle is by no means comparable to the Garand which needs a rather precise pressure at the gas port for smooth operation. This pressure must be 14,500 psi. There are only a few powders and bullet weights that can be used to give that correct presssure. The loads for a Garand not only must to be moderate loads they must use mid burning rate powders. For best results use H4895 and 150-168 grain bullets.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up BAR

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The gas system of the BAR will handle the full range of loads for the 300 mag. It seems you are asking if you should increase the load to give the same velocity as a bolt gun. If that is the case, no. Any load from any manual should be worked up to the max level, I don't think your load is there, rather mild actually, but you don't need to add powder to compensate for any loss from the gas system. An autoloader is typically only a few fps slower than comparable barrel length bolt gun. I do think you will have more reliable feeding with small base dies. Since you have a standard f/l set you could buy a small base body die as an additional die and use it when needed. You will find that the higher pressure loads in the belted mags will need a SB sizer frequently. The autoloader does not have the strong camming action of the bolt gun and cannot close on a tight case from just return spring pressure, thus the need for the small base sizing. It won't help with the belt once you have expanded it to the point where it won't chamber.

Your rifle is by no means comparable to the Garand which needs a rather precise pressure at the gas port for smooth operation. This pressure must be 14,500 psi. There are only a few powders and bullet weights that can be used to give that correct presssure. The loads for a Garand not only must to be moderate loads they must use mid burning rate powders. For best results use H4895 and 150-168 grain bullets.
    My BAR in 300 Win likes IMR 4350 @ 72.0 with FC Brass and FC 215GM primers using 180gr Noslers Part.
    I use RCBS Small Base Sizer Die and Hornady Seater Die when reloading.
    Very reliable load not to fast and not to slow.......just a tad over 3000FPS.
    Alaska

Thumbs up

In the BAR the Gas Rod takes a beating if you use heavy charged Hot Bolt Action Loads.

Also The BAR has a Piston operated action and the weak link is the gas rod going into the action and piston area.

I replaced my action spring with a WOLFF Power Spring years ago.......really good move!

Seems IMR 4350 in the 30-06/300 Win/7mm Mag as well as the 338 Win in the BAR seems standard for burn rate in BAR.

I have been handloading my BAR's since the early 70's great rifle.
    Alaska

Thumbs up

Reloader 17 and IMR 4350 medium burn rate powders for the BAR work great.

slower burn rate powders are hard on the gas system

I use a old RCBS small base sizer die just made for BAR's
    Alaska

Glad to see someone is having luck with them. I bought one in the late eighties, stripped the high gloss finish off and gave it a walnut stain and a couple of coats of tung oil. I also sent out the barreled action and had it parkerized a short time later but even when brand new it would stove pipe, FTF and hot gas and powder residue would coat the rounds in the magazine.
    Two trips to the local shop for warranty work by the smith there and a trip back to the factory and it would work for a few rounds or half a box and problems would come back. Sold it after about 6 months to a guy and explained the issues to him but he wanted it so off it went. It was nice and accurate, just not dependable. Haven't bought a Browning product since.

Yes that will happen if Your rounds are to hot.......the IMR 4350 works very well in the BAR Gen 1 in most of the Cal.

My 300 Win Mag I use 72.0 of IMR 4350 with a 180gr Part PP. and in my 30-06 I use 57.0 of IMR 4350 with the same bullet.

No Problem .......been using them both since the early 70's..........yearly cleaning of the Piston is required on the old ones.......the BAR gen 2 they cromed lined the piston area good move.

I guess IMR 4350 is classified as Slow burning powder.......I said it was a Med Burning powder my BAT!
    Alaska