Thread: Shrimping tech?

Default Shrimping tech?

Alright this is my second season of shrimping. I thought I had a good system but I now question myself. I have found great ledges and dropped right where they should be stacked up and came up with very few. Now I am thinking that not haveing heavy enough pots and the fact that I start slowly motoring off once about 50'ft of rope hits the water is causing my pots to never make it to there desired destination. What do you guys do? slowly troll off the spot once the pot hits the water and feed the line out? or do you wait there and drop it right ontop of the spot you like? This can be a slow process if you are setting out 600'+ of rope! Just seeing what I should start doing? Where do you get your weight? Rebar? How much weight do you run? I am just using a ACE hauler and I like to set double pots.

I run a five pot string of the round, stackable pots. Total length is 1000+ feet. I set them under power going with the tide. If you go against the tide, it has been my experience that the pots will stack up on each other. Steep and deep and Potbuilders shrimp pellets are a great combo! I like 450'- 600' depths.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Shrimp

I toss my pot out then between 50 and 100 feet later snap on the second pot. I then start motoring the direction I want them to lay. I also run double pots per line. I have been averaging 70-130 tails per pot on 3-5 hour soaks depending on where I am.

I actually make my own weights. They are approx 18 inches long 2 inches wide and 3/4 of an inch deep. Right at 4 pounds each. I zip tie 2 of them on the post on the bottom and they work great. If the tides are running hard I just add more of them. I also use the Ace, not as fast as the one Steve sells but I only have a 21 foot Trophy and have limited space.
    I also make smaller cylindrical weights about 3/4- 1 inch in diameter and 6 inches long with the light weight halibut clips to snap on my floating line every couple hundred feet to keep it down. I run 600 feet of floating line with 350 feet of sinking line on top. I also make the cannonball halibut weights. I lucked into about 700 pounds of lead a few years ago and have just flat been melting and pouring my heart out. Now I got the **** things everywhere, even rolling around on the garage floor.

Default Downrigger Weight

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    I toss my pot out then between 50 and 100 feet later snap on the second pot. I then start motoring the direction I want them to lay. I also run double pots per line. I have been averaging 70-130 tails per pot on 3-5 hour soaks depending on where I am.

I actually make my own weights. They are approx 18 inches long 2 inches wide and 3/4 of an inch deep. Right at 4 pounds each. I zip tie 2 of them on the post on the bottom and they work great. If the tides are running hard I just add more of them. I also use the Ace, not as fast as the one Steve sells but I only have a 21 foot Trophy and have limited space.
    I also make smaller cylindrical weights about 3/4- 1 inch in diameter and 6 inches long with the light weight halibut clips to snap on my floating line every couple hundred feet to keep it down. I run 600 feet of floating line with 350 feet of sinking line on top. I also make the cannonball halibut weights. I lucked into about 700 pounds of lead a few years ago and have just flat been melting and pouring my heart out. Now I got the **** things everywhere, even rolling around on the garage floor.
    Could you make a downrigger weight? I need one and they want a fortune for them.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default What I do

I put 8' of 3/8" chain around my round stackable pots using zip ties; that added about 12 pounds of weight.

Each pot is separate and has between 800' - 900' feet of line. When I drop each pot, I come to a stop and drop the pot straight down. Now that I've added the chain, my pots sink pretty fast which helps make sure they land where I want them to.

I tried using floating line but found it got tangled too easy. Now, my whole line is the weighted ground line.

I use an Ace Line Hauler and it does ok. However, since I've added the extra weight the puller does have to work a little harder. This is especially true when there are 80 - 120 spots in each pot creating drag against the water as it's coming up.

Default Funny you should ask....

I do have a 8 pound downrigger mold coming in the mail........

I'll let you know when it shows up.

Default PM ya

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    I do have a 8 pound downrigger mold coming in the mail........

I'll let you know when it shows up.
    I'll send ya a PM
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public