Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm problems

Default 7mm problems

I have had this 7mm for 10 yrs and it has always been a tack driver out to 300yds. This spring when i brought it to the range I noticed it wan't grouping like it used to but I just chalked it up as i havent shot it in a while. Over the last week I have shot about 30rds though it and cannot get it on. I have taken everything apart, lock tighted it and put it back together. yesterday I went back out and sighted it in at 50yds (had it dead center) took it out to 100yds and it was all over the place, brought it back to 50yd and it was all over the place, during this time the gun never left the vice. at this point I have no idea what it could be but is sounds like somthing is getting jarred loose yet everything I can see is tight.

sounds like an l.p. problem. (leupold problem)

I would try a different scope to see if thats your problem. Your shots all over the place seem to be more than just copper fouling in the barrel.

What's your total round count for this gun? Is the barrel shot out?

Wow how did you know it was a leopold??
    I got the gun from a family freind about 10yrs ago and I think he had it for about 10yrs. I don't think the the barrel is shot out since I only put about 50rds though it a yr.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    sounds like an l.p. problem. (leupold problem)

Yeah the Leupolds sure are junk

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    at this point I have no idea what it could be but is sounds like somthing is getting jarred loose yet everything I can see is tight.
    From all accounts it sounds as if something is loose. You checked the scope mounts, what about the action screws? All kidding aside, it may well be a problem with your Leupold. They are good scopes, but I have excellent service from their warranty department and that means I've had my share of problems with Leupolds. If everything is tight slip on another scope and see if that cures the problem.

thanks for the info. This scope has seen its share of abuse and I supose they can't last forever. It just sucks that everything is going to hell 3 days before my goat /moose hunt and I will have to barrow another rife, I can here my 7mm wimpering from the closet.

well.....beings that I may have predicted your l.p. ......I may as well give you a quick and affordable fix to that paticular l.p........
    http://swfa.com/Burris-2-7x35-Fullfi...ope-P5973.aspx

the toughest scope that 180 dollars could by......next day air it and all should be well. 14 psi springs in the recticle.......quite a bit more than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    during this time the gun never left the vice. .

I would pull the barreled action out of the stock and check for cracks. If this rifle was never glass bedded and is old a crack is certaintly possible if you are using a vice when shooting it.
    Another possibly is over the years you have compressed the wood under the floorplate to a point the action is loose in the stock. And finally, check the crown with a magnifying glass to see if it had been nicked. Other than a bad scope and or loose mounts I think it would be pretty easy to track down your problem.
    Tennessee

I wouldn't waste your time with a Burris scope. They really are not the quality that they used to be. I think the newer Phillipine production scopes are junk. I have had to deal with Leupold and Burris and lets just say, I no longer buy Burris scopes. Forever warrenty doesn't really mean forever.

Based on my customer service experience with Leupold, I continue to buy their products.

The only scope I have ever had fail on me in the field was a Burris.

Our last experience with Burris customer service ended with them flat out lying to us. Never again. If you cant afford a Zeiss, Swar or an S&B, then get a Triji or a Leupold.

Default they all break...

Bansners Rifles and D'Arcy Echols think Leupolds are good scopes. They can build as good a rifle as any one and have built more then most. Anyway, pull the gun apart and make sure it ain't cracked behind the recoil lug or anywhere else. Make sure the clearence in the barrel channel is the same as it always was. Make sure the bases and rings are properly tightened as well as the rifles action screws. Clean the bore very well, use a good solvent, Shooter's Choice or a similar brand and apply a good aggressive copper solvent. Then go back to the range with ammo your gun likes. If it is still not happy then try another scope. Let me say this, if I had a million dollars in a "checking account" my rifle would still be wearing a Leupold scope. The others are no tougher, weigh more and don't have the eye relief of a Leupold. Are they bright, sure, is that all that counts?

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. The 338s groups went from 1 inch to over 1 foot. Tried all the stuff you mentioned with no luck. Pulled off the Burris and put on a Leupold and today I'm back to 1 inch groups. This is the second year I've had to send the Burris back. Last year the internal lense coating came off and left flakes of stuff in the scope. Burris said it couldn't happen, but when they inspected it in Greeley, CO they confirmed it. This year it appears the old scope just gave up. I do have a few other Burris scopes that have performed great. Anyway, I'll get out of the weeds and recommend trying another scope.

Unless I read right over it, you don't mention what kind of rifle it is. Would it happen to be a Ruger M-77?

What you've got going sounds exactly like the results when the wood starts to bear on the angled forward action bolt of an M-77. Relieve the hole in the stock with a rattail rasp, refinish and try again.

Over the years I've bought several "shot out" M-77s and turned them back into tack drivers with this small "repair."

What kind of rifle are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Unless I read right over it, you don't mention what kind of rifle it is. Would it happen to be a Ruger M-77?

What you've got going sounds exactly like the results when the wood starts to bear on the angled forward action bolt of an M-77. Relieve the hole in the stock with a rattail rasp, refinish and try again.

Over the years I've bought several "shot out" M-77s and turned them back into tack drivers with this small "repair."
    This is one fine piece of information!

A lot of good advise so far. And I too have a 7 RM (Ruger M77) A 7mm RM barrel will shoot out in about 1000-1500 rounds.

So do an over all check of action/reciever, action bolts, scope, make sure all your copper is cleaned from the bore and then maybe get the bore boresighted to check for a fried throat. Might also be the crown?

A 20 yr old 7mm RM barrel that has been shot regularly is probably near the end of it's life.

-MR

The number one problem scope for me over the years has been Leupold! I seem to be snake bit with them. While others I know love them and swear by them.

I to have had good luck with Burris (at least the older ones). I have never had or heard of anyone having a problem with a Nikon either.

If brown Bear didn't nail it then it has to be the scope!

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have never had or heard of anyone having a problem with a Nikon either.
    Now ya have...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...service-45932/

If brown Bear didn't nail it then it has to be the scope!
    BrownBear could very well be right, but it could be the tang screw compressing the stock too. And.... a 20 yr old rifle.... it just might be shot out....

I think we should all throw a buck into the pool... winner takes all with correct guess/diagnosis

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have never had or heard of anyone having a problem with a Nikon either.
    I think of Nikon like I think of Lee reloading equipment, they make krap for cheap and they make some good product for a fair price so you kinda get what you pay for. I have had some real junk from both Nikon and Lee and avoid most of their product lines now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast