Thread: new pup

Default new pup

Well i got my new Pup. any advise on crate training? He goes in his crate but when i close the door he whines for about 15 to 20 min. is this normal? will this go away? will me putting treats in it and letting him go in and out thru out the day help?

Here's an article (which I haven't read thoroughly) on crate training - http://www.training-dogs.com/crate-training.html

The whining will go away, so long as you don't reward him for it [i.e. treats or taking him out every time he squawks]. He'll get used to it & the crate will become a good place to be -- not a place of punishment. It helps to feed them in the crate too. I start teaching them "kennel" right away, will often use a little treat (or a couple kibbles of their regular food) to start, but do tell them "kennel", even if I have to place them in there.

Good Luck & hope ALL goes well !!

Karen

thank you.

I always found that when I kenneled (crated) my dog, I would take him somewhere in the truck, usually training. He would love to go and jump right in with no problems. Even taking him for a short ride while kenneled is worthwhile.

Have fun.

Heck I spolied my dog so bad, even after 9 years, if I'm even thinking about the front door, he's there before I am.

He's a pretty good dog tho, and I love him lots.

He's a reg. choc. lab, 3rd generation and one of the best dogs I've ever owned.

The thing to do is and I can't say this in the right way, is not let them get that close to you, or you will never have a piece of mind.

He go's everywhere with me and the longest we have ever been apart is when I had my surgary.( 2 weeks)

If I leave him with someone he will whine for about an hour then sulk til I get back. Then he will give me the cold shoulder for a few hours, then come up and bury his head in my chest.

Did I metion he's about 160 lbs

160 lbs
    Wow !! Is that a lab or a brown bear?

If you met him in the woods you'd shoot him.

His front paws are 4" or better across.

He reminds me of a bear when he shakes, and I keep telling him I'm going to skin him out and nail his hide to the wall. ( Dadgum hair)

Default Crate training

I'll reccomend it! It worked for all my dogs...Make it 8...