Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 16B black bears

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    york, pa
    Posts
    14

    Default 16B black bears

    anyone have any tips for hunting black bears along the yentna or lower end of the skwentna in mid sept.? More browns or blacks in this area? Thanks for any help.

  2. #2

    Default don't bother...

    its all hunted out.
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

  3. #3
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    You'll see blacks, and maybe a brown or two if you're lucky. Some of 16B has been hit real hard with predator control, but I think you'll get a bear without too much trouble.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  4. #4
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by y2kadle View Post
    its all hunted out.
    Please don't listen to this. There are lots of bears in Unit 16 of both variety. True, predator control efforts have been ongoing, but there are still plenty of bears. The moose population in the area is just starting to bounce back and could use all the help it can get.

  5. #5
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by y2kadle View Post
    its all hunted out.
    you know it would have better to have not said anything at all.......unless your trying to keep people from hunting "your area", Or: your a friend of the bear lover that used to live there! Or: you just dont know any better!


    jda if you go out there good luck on your hunt and help save a few moose!

  6. #6
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Just curious, cuz it says you're in York, PA. Are you heading up here in Sept just to try for black bear in 16B? Don't think that unit is open to non-res for moose.

    There was quite a bit of baiting all summer along the Yentna and Skwentna, and the season goes all summer long now as part of the bear control efforts. You should check with F&G on non-res regs, could be they are allowing baiting to go on during moose season and you could hunt over bait. Good luck,

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    york, pa
    Posts
    14

    Default

    I am a non res of AK, but our trip will be a couple res, and a couple non-res, I realize non-res can't shoot moose or browns, just trying to do somewhat of a black, brown combo i guess, so we can all hunt. Thanks to all for the input.

  8. #8

    Talking

    If you are flying in, try your luck at RABBIT LAKE. There are a lot of them, both blacks and browns. Take your lab dog with you, with lots of food. The smell will bring them in.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9
    Member ripnlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    291

    Default

    done the Yent to Skwent a couple times in the spring. Try to get away from the river as its very busy with boat traffic. Good luck.

  10. #10
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    My buddy did a hunt around Alexander lake as part of predator control. He said they saw so many bears they couldn't believe it. They shot like 7 bears in 3 or 4 days.

    But 16B has been hit real hard in the last year or 2, and that's a good thing. Over 500 bears were harvested out of this unit last year. The moose are starting to come back too. But don't buy into this crap that they aren't any bears left...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  11. #11

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by jda View Post
    I am a non res of AK, but our trip will be a couple res, and a couple non-res, I realize non-res can't shoot moose or browns, just trying to do somewhat of a black, brown combo i guess, so we can all hunt. Thanks to all for the input.
    Google up Bear Haven, teacher and bear or ask your AK Res partners to tell you about it. Then go to Rabbit Lake and take measures into your own hands. I don't think you could go wrong on this hunt.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    york, pa
    Posts
    14

    Default bear man...

    yeah, i've seen the pics of the bears in the yard around that guy's place..pretty amazing...anyways we are definitely heading up that way sept. 15-20 after we hunt PWS for a few days. Thanks for the advice. Everyone's suggestions are welcomed as we have never been to this area.
    Planning on doing alot of filming on this trip, will post pics or vid of any bears we wack. Thanks.

  13. #13
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default 500 bears?

    Quote Originally Posted by pike palace
    Over 500 bears were harvested out of this unit last year.
    Where did you hear or read that?

  14. #14

    Default

    I just got back from a couple of bear hunts on the Skwentna. We hunted almost three weeks between the mouth of the Hayes up river to the Happy. That part of the Skwentna is pretty slim picking. There are less salmon and more berries this year than I think I have ever seen. This is the first year I haven't hit a 100% for Brown or Black bears anywhere in 16. The only bears I saw were two small (maybe 6' 6") brownies and a five foot black bear. I know there are bears out there I just didn't connect.
    Chuck

  15. #15

    Default

    Just got back the first of the week from a Brown hunt in the area, and on the skwentna, hayes, and happy. There were three of us hunting and we did no good on the browns. I personally saw 3 blacks and took a nice boar that was alittle over 6'. I saw one 2 year old brown on a creek by its self, and a very large sow with 2 two year old cubs on another creek. Very few fish and the hunting was rough. All three of us actually killed a black. a 6 footer, alittle over 6', and a solid 6-1/2 footer. The one I took was actually off the carcass of the first bear taken.

  16. #16
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Where did you hear or read that?
    I have a friend who works for F&G. I'm not sure if he meant just 16B or all of 16, but he said over 500 blackies were shot in that area.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •