Thread: Salmon: Run Times and Meat Quality?

Arrow Salmon: Run Times and Meat Quality?

Hiya everyone!

So it occured to me that alot of the salmon season is already gone, and it started to get me thinking. When I go out now to bird creek, ship creek, ressurection creek all I see are pinks and chums that are dead and dying. I have heard people say that the silver run is already over, and others say that it has yet to start.

About what time does the Silver run start and stop to you (And on what rivers)? And also, how spawned out does a silver (or any salmon for that matter) have to be before its disgusting, even if you cook it within 2 hours of catching it ?

I am just curious what my options are, I was hoping to get a few more fishing trips in between geology classes, but if the runs are over and any fish I catch are going to be so spawned out that I get sick then I guess it makes the whole trip pointless hm?
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

I normally wont keep a silver if it's more then just a slight blush to them. After that they seem to change to a soft mushy not so nice to eat state for me! Guess I've been spoiled with much gooder eats...I still love catching them though....cant wait for delta clearwater again this year..and those fish are LOOONG past thier prime LOL! But man do they like to chase wogs!

Generally speaking meat quality starts to deteriorate as soon as the salmon starts to change color. Some will say as soon as they enter the fresh water. As Trtadbow states, I usually don't keep them if there is more than a very slight blush. The silvers at Whittier have not yet arrived so that may be an option.
    BTW Alaska isn't THAT cold!

In general I do not keep females with more than a blush color, their meat seems to go mushy first but I will keep reddish fish IF they fight well. I've noticed that good fighting fish have better meat. Females not as consistent. Don't fall for the chromer female that rolls over and comes in easy. You know those females always look good at first......

Pick up the book: The Highway Angler by Gunnar Pederson. You can get it right here of the forum, and most likely in your local bookstore. It has charts of salmon run times for most Alaska Highway River Systems for the whole state. It is a very useful tool and I would definitely add it to your arsenal. Here is a link to the book:

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...&products_id=3

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

There are still some bright fish to chase around, the key is getting them to bite. It seems like the places I fished this week(fish,jims,race) have decent numbers of fish, but they are spooked real easy. I'd say you still got a few more weekends worth fishin