Thread: Stainless youth rifle??

Default Stainless youth rifle??

My son, who is a large 10 year old, is comfortably shooting my 30-06 with factory 180 loads. However, he can only do so from a comfortable rest due to the stock being too long for him.

I've been looking for a rifle for him and I am surprised that I cannot find a stainless action/synthetic stock youth rifle. Does anyone know of any that are out there?

On the flip side I have been considering ordering a Savage or Remington in stainless with the adult size stock, then ordering a youth stock seperately if they are available. I'd hate to do this if there was a difference in the actions. Any suggestions?

Default suggestion

You are correct. I can't think of any stainless long action youth rifles. Ruger's compact rifle is the only production SS youth rifle that I am aware of. However, it is only available in short action lengths (.308, 7mm-08, .243) which obviously precludes the possibility of getting one in 30-06. If you want to stick with a long action, I'd suggest buying whatever caliber you want then buy an extra stock off ebay for 40 or 50 bucks then have it cut down and pad installed. The original stays in the closet until he grows into it. Do a search on ebay or gunbroker with the keywords "700 stock" and you'll get quite a list. The Remington 700 SPS stainless will cost you about $520. Ruger's M77 stainless will cost you just about the same amount by the time you buy scope bases and rings for the Remington. They're both excellent choices with the main difference being push feed (Rem) versus controlled-round feed (Ruger). The Ruger is noticeably heavier as well. Have fun!

After posting this thread I found the Ruger compacts. Definately an interesting choice. I don't mind a laminate stock and could probably live with him shooting a .308 . I personally have shot a black bear and a moose with a .308 and it did a good job... you just definatley have to be sure of your shot. I think I will look for one when I'm on vacation in the states so that he can try it out for fit.

I'm not advertising Sportsman's Warehouse, but I know they have them in 7mm-08 if you just want to check fit.

Weatherby makes their Vanguard in a package deal that comes with 2 stocks. A youth sized stock and an adult sized stock. It's blued with black synthetic stocks and is only available in that package with the short action cartridges. I was also looking for a youth sized 06 since my 10 y.o. was able to handle the 180's out of a .300 Savage this past season. The NEF was available in 06, but not in the smaller size. Savage makes a synthetic/stainless youth rifle, but not in 06. We also looked at the Ruger compacts in 7mm-08 and although they were nice, decided that the Weatherby in 7mm-08 was the way to go for him since it came with the 2 stocks.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Youth rifle

Remington Model 7 is a good rifle. 308 with a 165 grain Barnes-X or any other premium bullet is the match of the 30/06 for most uses. Above 180 grains, the 30/06 is better, but 308 is suitable for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBob View Post
    Remington Model 7 is a good rifle. 308 with a 165 grain Barnes-X or any other premium bullet is the match of the 30/06 for most uses. Above 180 grains, the 30/06 is better, but 308 is suitable for hunting.
    I own a model 7. They're great and it was my first rifle but it doesn't have a shorter length of pull in the stainless version.

Default Youth rifle for ten year old

I highly recoomend the Ruger compact. I got my son the Ruger compact in .243 when he was ten years old (he's twelve now). He loves it, it fits well, and best of all he can shoot it well and shoot it with confidence. Several whitetails and groundhogs have succumbed to the Ruger with him shooting it. It is a very accurate rifle, I have shot many three shot groups with it under an inch at 100 yards developing loads for him.

Heres a 30-06 option for you: I have an old Winchester 670 30-06 and it's stock has a shorter length of pull and a short barrel from the factory. My son used it this October to take an elk with it shooting 180 grain Nosler partitions. You might find one of these on the used market, and they do have shorter barrels and L.O.P. over standard rifiles. It wouldn't be stainless/synthetic though.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

the m77 stainless in .270 then take it to percsion arms? there in Anchoage and have it fitted(shorten stock) with decelerator added, great gun for the money from GNG and the refit was very resonable and quick!

Default Ruger frontier rifle

I own and hunt with a ruger compact .308 and really love shooting this gun. I might consider the Ruger frontier rifle in .300 WSM. I believe it has scope mounts over the breech as well as forward mount ability. The.308 can be a little light in some Alaska hunting situations. I have harvested several black bears, caribou, Mt. goats, and numerous blacktails with it.