Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Sleeping Bags

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    71

    Default Sleeping Bags

    I am getting my gear in line for a hunt next fall. Just curious what sleeping bags all you guys use.

    I have been looking at some of the heavy single bags that are rated to -20 but if I make trips during a warmer season then it might be way to much.

    Has anyone used the 3-1 Mil-Spec bag? I used it in the Corps but never got in any cold weather. How cold have you used it in?

    Thanks
    B

  2. #2
    Member mod elan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Glennallen
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Need more info. Where are you hunting? Coastal or interior? No need for a -20 bag in the fall. Unless you want to use it for other seasons too. Hiking or motorized?

    My sheep bag is a Montbell U.L. S.S. Down Hugger +15.
    My winter snowmachining using a wall tent bag is a Cabelas -30. Don't recall the model, but it is under 200 bucks.
    Check out Wiggy's bags. My next one will be a Wiggy's. There are multiple bags and combos to choose from.

    Also search the old threads and you'll find more info on this subject that we've all discussed in the past.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Need more info. Where are you hunting? Coastal or interior? No need for a -20 bag in the fall. Unless you want to use it for other seasons too. Hiking or motorized?

    My sheep bag is a Montbell U.L. S.S. Down Hugger +15.
    My winter snowmachining using a wall tent bag is a Cabelas -30. Don't recall the model, but it is under 200 bucks.
    Check out Wiggy's bags. My next one will be a Wiggy's. There are multiple bags and combos to choose from.

    Also search the old threads and you'll find more info on this subject that we've all discussed in the past.

    Interior, Float hunt in Aug/Sept. I am not 100% of dates. I am not concerned to concerned about weight. I have looked at the Wiggy bags and they look interesting.

    I was looking for input on like a multi use setup. Like the military ECWS 3-1 that I can pack all together for cold nights or if I am in the spring I can just use one portion. Just checking to see if someone has used this bag and how it worked.

    I did search for sleeping bags and I found one main article that discussed Wiggy bags and the glacier bags.

  4. #4
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    My cousin has used the ECWS 3-1 and it did OK for him. Wiggys covers the same basic concept but w/ a much higher quality bag!! I have both their superlight 0* bag and the over bag which combine to be very comfortable in very cold weather! I also have their Glacier hunter bag for cold wet late season mountain hunts. Go and check out wiggys website or hit up wiggys Alaska in anchorage when you get stateside again. Marc Taylor will set you up right!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    My cousin has used the ECWS 3-1 and it did OK for him. Wiggys covers the same basic concept but w/ a much higher quality bag!! I have both their superlight 0* bag and the over bag which combine to be very comfortable in very cold weather! I also have their Glacier hunter bag for cold wet late season mountain hunts. Go and check out wiggys website or hit up wiggys Alaska in anchorage when you get stateside again. Marc Taylor will set you up right!

    Cool beans. I will look it up! I am on VBC where are you?

  6. #6
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,623

    Default

    For fall hunting go with synthetics all the way. I have a mountain hardware ultralamina 0. I like it a lot. I will run 210-230 depending on size. Integral designs makes VERY nice 500 fill (highest grade) primaloft bags. There 10 degree marcopolo is a very good choice. They will run you into the 300s. Unlike most manufacturers Integral Designs doesn't fudge the temp ratings, so the 10 is actually a 10 and not a 20-25.

    Brett

  7. #7
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by watkinsba View Post
    Cool beans. I will look it up! I am on VBC where are you?
    Up at Diamondback at the moment but technically have a room and some "stuffs" I rarely see @ JBB. I was just working down at VBC early last week too, it would have been nice to sit down and have a coffee w/ a fellow forum member!

    Keep safe!

  8. #8
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    We have Wiggy's sleeping bags. We have 2 of them. We have used them on every backpacking, hiking, and hunting trip together and it's kept my husband and I warm and dry.

    We also have the compression bags with our sleeping bags.
    http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?category=6

    ...and of course, I always mention that they are a USA brand!
    Lurker.

  9. #9
    Member Phish Finder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Searching for more cowbell!
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    I picked up a Big Agnes bag a couple of weeks ago. It worked great with one exception, there is no insulation in the bottom. It worked well as long as it was used in conjunction with a pad. Without a pad, it was just a blanket with a zipper.

    We nicknamed it the Big Agony
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

    "People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

  10. #10
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    We have Wiggy's sleeping bags. We have 2 of them. We have used them on every backpacking, hiking, and hunting trip together and it's kept my husband and I warm and dry.

    We also have the compression bags with our sleeping bags.
    http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?category=6

    ...and of course, I always mention that they are a USA brand!
    Can I get three "we haves" and a "we also have" in 4 incomplete sentances? Aparently CotoAK and Dr Suess took english comp at the same school

    I like my wggys bag, I like it on a crag, I like it in the sun, I like it on the run....


    Sorry couldn't resist it always the sweet ones that make such an easy target... Kingfisher please take it from here...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Up at Diamondback at the moment but technically have a room and some "stuffs" I rarely see @ JBB. I was just working down at VBC early last week too, it would have been nice to sit down and have a coffee w/ a fellow forum member!

    Keep safe!
    Yes Most definatly. I will be here until Dec then I am off for a vacation then back until May. Let me know if you are down this way again.


    Well I decided on the Wiggy Ultra Light with FTRSS. I also threw in a bivy sack for the extra protection on wear and tear/dirt and rain. I should be set sleeping wise after I pick up a pad and tent. WOOHOO I am getting stoked!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •