Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgun while hunting

Default Handgun while hunting

If your out hunting what Handgun do you carry? This would most likely need to be used to protect from Brownies & big foots!! It isn't the primary hunting weapon but more of protective measures.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by watkinsba View Post
    If your out hunting what Handgun do you carry? This would most likely need to be used to protect from Brownies & big foots!! It isn't the primary hunting weapon but more of protective measures.
    Nope, It's extry weight when I've got my rifle along.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If I carry any handgun while hunting big game it would likely be a .22 caliber for picking off ptarmigan or spruce hen for a dinner bonus. Otherwise my protection is going to be my primary hunting weapon (rifle).

I Carry Two 45/70 handguns, both in Low slung Quick-Draw rigs. And I carry one extra spare 45/70 rifle slung across my back. I have a 45/70 derringer in each pocket. And you should see the size of the knives I carry.

I've carried 44.45 and now 454 most of the time when out and about. Often when fishing I just carry a small SP101. I always carry a few different type of bullets than whats in the gun at the time.

Default once in awhile...

I usually don't carry a hand gun when hunting with the "big rifle". It is just one more thing to carry. If I do it will be the S&W Mountain Gun in caliber .44 Mag. It is a 4" slender barreled stainless revolver that I like better then any .44 I ever owned and I have owned a bunch over the years. Holster selection is important. Mine is a Galco Cross Draw that is based on the old Jackass Leathergoods Company patent. I cut it to fit a 4" revolver and installed a "Chicago" screw as an extra retention device.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hand guns for protection?

Real Tarzan men.. carry a big knife and roar!!!

mine stays in the tent for while asleep.. My 300WM keeps them at bay easy enough

( i am still working on my roar!!!)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I was talking about my adventures coming up next fall and they asked what I was taking other than the 30-06. I told them nothing. I figured that if I am being aware of my surroundings then I won't have to worry about something jumping out at me!

They just got me thinking. I will prolly stick with just the trusty 30-06. In Indiana we don't really have anything that will come and eat you while out hunting HAHAHA.

Most folks who advocate not packing a handgun can't hit the barn from the inside with one.

Quote Originally Posted by aksalcha View Post
    Most folks who advocate not packing a handgun can't hit the barn from the inside with one.
    While I cann't speak for others, inn my case that is correct. I am MUCH more accurate with my rifle at any distance than my handgun. A little more power out of my rifles for knock-down power than my handguns as well. Even my little Kimber in .308 putting out 2,800-3,000 ft lbs compared to 1,400 lbs out of a .44 MAG. So its kinda a no brainer for me.

A handgun that puts out less than half the energy that I can't shoot as well as my rifle and plus no reason to lug around the extra 2 or 3 lbs. I have kept one in the tent while wheeler camping/hunting when weight isn't as big of an issue like Vince does, but even then when out in the field hunting then I'll just take the rifle. But to each his own and best to go with what gives you the warm fuzzy.

Many Alaskans wear a handgun and camoflodge the first year, maybe even the second year. But they get it figured out. I am enrolled in the tent flashlight with the trigger accessory for night trips to the Cathole. Like a Surefire Light w/ a G-20 attached as an accessory to the light. The light being the main tool, yet comforting that has a trigger, if needed. Or a flashlight w/ a revolver attached would be goooder.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by aksalcha View Post
    that is not entirly acurate... I hunt often enough with a hand gun. most people DO NOT practice enough to be proficiant with it to begin with... most buy one much to large to handle...and dont practice with it...
    most do not wear adequate hearing protection,,, , thus dont practice with it...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Depends on . . .

I usually carry a handgun while in the field, a 4 inch Redhawk in 44 Mag. I am not the best shot with a handgun, but I practice a good deal and enjoy shooting them. While hunting I often carry the Redhawk in my pack, but once an animal is down out comes the 44 into a Galco D.A.O. There are a lot of bears in unit 17, a lot of bears. Two years ago a Dillingham dentist had a large brownie rush him while skinning a moose and it may have turned out very differently had he not had a 44 (published account in Sporting Classics August '09). A handgun is not nearly as effective as a rifle, but I cannot keep my rifle slung on my shoulder during the skinning process and the 44 is always available. Some may consider it paranoid or an unnecessary hassle, but to me it makes good sense. I practice with it and trust my abilities with it much more than my left cross or uppercut. Having a gun on my person instead of a rifle leaned against my pack while I am engrossed in skinning just makes sense to me. I will add that if there are extra guys to literally stand guard (w/ a rifle) while I am skinning I prefer that to carrying a 44.

I am not afraid of the bears, but the fact is you will see bears and normally will see several while moose hunting in our area. I consider a 44 like a seat belt in a car. I don't plan on wrecking and it's uncomfortable and a hassle to snap on each time I'm in the car. But in a wreck I am convinced it is best to wear one so I try to stay prepared even though I really try to avoid all wrecks.

Its often been said the only reason for a handgun is to fight your way to a rifle... with a rifle in your hand a handgun seems kinda superfluous.

I tend to either carry one or the other but very seldom both at once. Not going to knock the guys that do but I found it a real hassle- enough that I quit the practice.

as i seen a handgun is for shtf and it comeing you way and you have to deal with right then and there ..
    yeah it nice to have a rifle to deal with it but it not allways handy so have a backup plan works and work great if need be ..

iam not bs when i say this but i have to thank a member on this site for the tip about the grips and how they help with recoil for putting them onto the revolver then going out and panic shooting a target there was a big diff in groups from the last time shooting ..

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    that is not entirly acurate... I hunt often enough with a hand gun. most people DO NOT practice enough to be proficiant with it to begin with... most buy one much to large to handle...and dont practice with it...
    most do not wear adequate hearing protection,,, , thus dont practice with it...
    But it is acurate.....

I have lots of pictures around camp and doodling though out the day....the rifles are nowhere near anyone.

Have filled the freezer many times with big game using the sidearm cause the rifles are overthere.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Jist Personal preferences

I hate carrying a rifle when I'm packing meat, but don't want to be without a gun, doing that, so after the first trip, I take the 44 and leave the rifle behind.

When I'm not hunting, I might carry both a rifle and handgun.

It depends on what I hope to do. For small game, a beeg rifle, and a 22 handgun, OR a 22 rifle with a Beeg handgun so you have something to fight off a bear with.

I have a couple-three places I fish where I'm all alone, in which case I usually take just the beeg handgun.

Every gun has a purpose, but I enjoy having them, carrying them, and needing them too. So, if you wanna, then I say tak'em all.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

For me anyway I carry 99% of the time so why quit when I go hunting. I've never pushed through tag alders where a rifle would be of any use at all and alot of the time there is little room to even put a pistol into play. I also enjoy takeing game with a pistol and if the chance happens I'll use the pistol insted of the rifle.Its just what you are comfortable doing and knowing you can do it.

Smile .454 Casull

My .454 goes everywhere with me. I mostly mountain hunt and my rifle is always secured to my pack in some fashion (depends on which pack I am using). A bear is not going to give me the time to get my rifle off of my pack. Large "magnum" handguns take practice to master but I am sure that most here could do it if they took the time.

Two main reasons I carry a pistol when I'm hunting:

1) My rifle is a piece of mechanical wonder, any part of which may fail at any time. In 1997 I called a moose into 42yds and took four shots from a prone position on a bipod, hitting only one time 18" low and 6" right through the brisket and breaking his off-side foreleg. I pushed my rifle aside in disgust, drew my 629 and finished the poor guy with one 305gr CorBon Penetrator. (Leupold VX-III failure) This would have likely been a lost animal if I hadn't had immediate access to a secondary firearm.

2) Have you ever tried to attend nature's business will toting a rifle?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast