Thread: Tire question

Default Tire question

OK, you're going to think I'm crazy, but this is from a guy at work...so thats my disclaimer

I have a set of Mud Lites on my cat. The left rear tire feels like it has a flat spot in it and has somewhat of a slow-leak. When pressurized, it lessens the feel of it, but if its been sitting for a while and I take it out on the pavement, it goes flop-flop-flop on this one spot on my tire.

That said, I was complaining about this to a guy I work with and he said i had some sort of cut on the inside of my tire where one of the treads likely is and that putting a bit of sand in the tire should cure this.

Should I give it a whirl? If not, I need a used 26x12x12!

Default flat spot

How long does it go flop flop???

My Argo tires get flat spots from sitting in the garage all the time. Usually after a few miles of driving they work themselves out again.

Its always there...but only really noticeable on pavement. When not on that section of the tire, it looks fine but it just folds in when the tire revolution gets to that spot. I know I'm probably not painting a very clear picture of the problem, but I'm tryin!

Im thinking its only happening because that tire is lower pressure than the others. The Argo tires run very low pressure so flat spots are always a problem, but like I said they will work out in a short time.

If I were you I would find out where its leaking, fix it , air it up and go hunting. Not many critters on the paved trails anyway. LOL.

Also, once you break the tire down to fix it, you will see if theres anything going on inside where your buddy recommends the sand???

Good luck, sorry I couldnt be more help.

Let me know if you want to break it down and take a look, I have a manual tire machine that should take it apart.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default I would hesitate

before putting sand in there. Seems to me you are trying to get an abrasive into the tear. I can't figure out how that would help, might get rid of the flop for a while but it couldn't do the tear any good...
    I would pop it off the rim and take a look.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

My first thought here was could you have once used a tire repair product and not run the tire long enough and it settled? I did that once, and it ruined my tire. (this was on a car, not an atv). You could most definitely feel the lump o' goo in there that had hardened and threw of the balance of the tire.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Thanks for the help, guys

Mud, I'll have to hit you up on that and see if we cant find anything....

All 4 of my MLs have flat spots, 3-4psi. I just stay off the pavement and its never a problem

Depending how long the tire has been mounted you could have mud and gunk mashed between the rim and tire. This will cause a slow leak and will require taking the tire off the rim and cleaning up the rim.

I would bet money that is your problem.

If I remember right AKmud has a fancy machine that will break the bead of an atv rim. Another option is laying the tire and rim flat on the ground with the valve taken out of the stem. With pressure out of the tire drive your truck tire over it as close to the rim as possible. Once that breaks the bead pop the tire off with flat tipped screw driver wrapped with electrical tape. Once the tire is worked off, clean the rim, and tire, them reassemble. Set the bead with an air compressor and mount tire.

I've done that a handful of times. It's not as difficult as it sounds. The toughest part is breaking the bead.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    ...Another option is laying the tire and rim flat on the ground with the valve taken out of the stem. With pressure out of the tire drive your truck tire over it as close to the rim as possible. Once that breaks the bead pop the tire off with flat tipped screw driver wrapped with electrical tape. Once the tire is worked off, clean the rim, and tire, them reassemble. Set the bead with an air compressor and mount tire.

I've done that a handful of times. It's not as difficult as it sounds. The toughest part is breaking the bead....
    Grem, did you make this technique up yourself? That seems kinda cool..and yes, it does sound difficult, but I'll take your word for it. If Mud doesn't let me use his, I'll go this route

I wish I could take credit for that idea but I read it on Highlifter. Everytime I have someone else mount a set of tires for me they ALWAYS leak. And the reason the tires leak is because they do not clean the mud off the inside of the rim. I've broke down a couple sets of tires and mud packed into the rim has always been the culprit. Once you get the process down it doesn't take much time at all.

The truck is the only way I do it, it's easy.