Thread: I had a shooting fest today for 2 hours.

Default I had a shooting fest today for 2 hours.

Dang! and my shoulder is actually a little sore.Anyhow Been texting with GrouseH100 and I felt bad for him as he is having no luck and I had it in mind that If I saw him out there I'd have him tag along for a hunt and show him waht to look for........well.............

I Left work an hour early and hit the hills and found a single bird bam! as I was walking back to the truck I heard some birds and low and behold I saw several birds bam! ...bam! two more down and me running out of the woods back to the truck to get more shells.

So I sneak back in there and birds start busting out of there and flushing like mad....bam!bam! bam! reload bam! bam! bam! click. Well I peppered a bird or two and dropped 3 more.

So I find a couple of them and decided that was enough and went back to the truck to off load and head abck to search for the downed birds.

Checked the time and its been 20 minutes and I had a missed text from GrouseH100 (Ryan) I call him up and told him to hightail it to my location as I'd hook him up on a crash course in Grouse hunting 101.

All I got to say is he smelled purdy and I explained a few things to him and that I wanted him to shoot the birds.

right off the bat as where beating the brush Ive got a Grouse 20 feet in front of me and told Ryan to run over to me quick so he could shoot it. I had to laugh as you could see he wanted to shoot it but couldnt see it.... Finally he did lol! BAM! one for Ryan wahoo.

As we get together I explain to him what,where and what to do next and off we go with him spotting one running BAM! two down and a few flush and fly off.We kept at it with me guiding Ryan on our approaches which seem to work as he kept spotting them now.

yeah we lost a few birds in all that thick stuff and he did managed to get two more.It was cool to take a rookie out and see him do good. All in all I didnt shoot any birds with him and he managed four total and me with 6 more.

Ryan it was nice to meet you and you did good with me telling you what to do and when to move (sorry) I just wanted to line you out and make sure you got birds.So what the wife say to all those birds? hahahaha!

I need to go out wherever you guys are hunting. Where you on base?

Jeremiah

Default No Grouse...

Couldnt find any grouse today, may not im not in the right spot....nice looking grouse.....all of em ruffs?

AKtrpr

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahak View Post
    I need to go out wherever you guys are hunting. Where you on base?
    Jeremiah
    I sure am getting that asked alot these days lol!

Quote Originally Posted by AKtrpr View Post
    Couldnt find any grouse today, may not im not in the right spot....nice looking grouse.....all of em ruffs?

AKtrpr
    Thanks! and yes they are where all ruffies.Like I told Ryan he was hunting the wrong spot sort of. The last three days I hunted different areas and terrain according to the weather conditions.

I knew it was going to be hot today and I told Ryan to hunt hi and hit the shade.He asked about hunting around water and I flat out said no.I've just been lucky as of late.Keep hitting the hills dude, you'll find them.

you ever get any grouse up johnson rd? area looks pretty grousey to me? I can tell from your pics, your not on murphy dome, road surface is the wrong color.....

Aktrpr

Default johnson rd

When I was out on Johnson Road a week and 1/2 ago, I only saw moose and rabbits. I spend a fair bit of time on the pipeline ROW, between Eielson and Salcha River, and I saw no grouse. There were plent of bunnies south of Johnson Road on the pipeline ROW to Salcha River.

Default johnsons road

well used to get up and go in on eilson abd come out johnsons road used to get 10 to 15 birds aday. this was at the end of sept usually since i would head down and catch silvers after ward their there. Good luck

Matt

That reminds me of a funny story.... I was moose hunting 2 years ago and was coming back to camp and I was carrying my browning buckmark .22 with 10 rounds in the pistol and an extra clip with 10 has well.
    I was almost back to camp and as I was walking I saw a covey of about 20 grouse and I killed 15 birds with 17 shots this whole ordeal lasted maybe 35 seconds and the funny thing was ...when I was picking up the birds I noticed one was really stiff I couldn't figure out why until one of my hunting partners told me he shot one there the day before and couldn't find it.
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    ...when I was picking up the birds I noticed one was really stiff I couldn't figure out why until one of my hunting partners told me he shot one there the day before and couldn't find it.
    That reminds me, last year hunting the flats my cousin spotted a bunny tucked tight up under a bush just about 10' out. The took careful aim and popped it in the back of the head... That was strange he was sure he hit it but got no reaction. He went over and nudged it w/ his boot. To his surprise the thing was rock solid! I guess that it probably caught a single pellet from a shotgun and managed to elude the hunter, then hold tight in the cover and not get recovered.