Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Buying lefty?

  1. #1
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default Buying lefty?

    as i sit and watch my daughter shoot out the window... i realise i really need to seriously consider a proper rifle for her...


    she loves her browning 270 but she shoots lefty as she is Left eye dom. and right handed...


    however Leftys are hard to come by at times and they seem to all be large cals...

    where in Anch.. or FBK would i find a good selection of used leftys?

    new is always good but not the norm on our budgets these day...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    How old or how big is she?

  3. #3

    Default

    I'd be searching for a real bargain on a used gun, then rebarreling to whatever suits you. I've done that all my life to come up with calibers in lefties. My all-time favorite lefty and one I'd recommend for her is a 257 Roberts. It started life as an 06. Come to think of it, the Remington 700 lefty comes in 270, so it could be a pretty straight transition for her. For that matter a Savage would be easy to rebarrel, while also cutting the cost corner a bit.

    And one more thought, watch for a great buy on a Ruger #1. They've always been my alternative to rebarreling a lefty bolt to get a caliber I want.

  4. #4
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Vince, I've got a lefty -06...prolly big for her now, but like BB said, a re-barrel would be an option...

  5. #5
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    she is thirteen and slight.. in nature..

    i am not sure i am going to get into the whole rebarrel things...just never considered that.

    kinda leaning towards an 7mm -08 or another 270 etc... even 308...

    the hard part with her is finding one she likes. we went through stacks before she liked that a bolt.. Medalion...

    Hunt we have plenty of time... can take a peek at it when were are down next month this one is going to be like Brian buying a truck.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Boondocks usually has some lefties on the racks plus they have the lowest prices on Remingtons in the state.
    Have your daughter take a peak at a lefty SPS Youth model:
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_700_SPS.asp

    Browning has a nice selection of lefties as well. Boondocks can order whatever you want. Just a couple of weeks ago I ordered a right and left handed TBolt and they came in within two weeks of ordering.
    Tennessee

  7. #7
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    she is thirteen and slight.. in nature..

    i am not sure i am going to get into the whole rebarrel things...just never considered that.

    kinda leaning towards an 7mm -08 or another 270 etc... even 308...

    the hard part with her is finding one she likes. we went through stacks before she liked that a bolt.. Medalion...

    Hunt we have plenty of time... can take a peek at it when were are down next month this one is going to be like Brian buying a truck.....

    well......have her pick up a micro medalion in left handed configuration. it comes in some darned good calibers. It weighs about 6.4 lbs. I'm almost certain she would like that rifle.......want to bet on it?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Vince, the Micro is a nice one.

    I also like the Rem 700 Youth synthetic in 7mm-08. I think we may even have one..I know we have one in 243. Stop by, we will take care of you.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default Boondocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Boondocks usually has some lefties on the racks plus they have the lowest prices on Remingtons in the state.
    Have your daughter take a peak at a lefty SPS Youth model:
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_700_SPS.asp

    Browning has a nice selection of lefties as well. Boondocks can order whatever you want. Just a couple of weeks ago I ordered a right and left handed TBolt and they came in within two weeks of ordering.
    Vince dont you even think about going to Boondocks - without stopping by here; just a half mile away.

  10. #10
    Member e45colt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    317

    Default Boondocks has a 7mm-08

    Vince:

    Boondocks had one of the youth model lefties in 7mm-08 when I stopped by Monday. If I remember right it was $795.

    Wild West guns has always done me right so don't forget to check there too.

    Ed

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    Vince:

    If I remember right it was $795.
    yikes!

  12. #12
    Member Unalakleet yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Unalakleet
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Vince,

    I have a left handed A-bolt hunter in 270wsm. Drop me a note if that would be something that would interest you.

    Thanks

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    55

    Default I'm a lefty, too

    I ordered a micro-hunter in 7-08 when Boondocks had their Browning sale in May. It isn't here yet but that's OK - I still owe a few $$ on it. $670 for that one.

    The online price for the SPS seems to be more in the $550 range. Boondocks has had one of those for awhile (7-08.)

    Tikka makes lefties. Not too bad new, and a used one comes around now and then.

    A CZ 452 American is a great match to practice with (LH bolt .22.)
    Drink indigenous.

  14. #14
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Vince, the Micro is a nice one.

    I also like the Rem 700 Youth synthetic in 7mm-08. I think we may even have one..I know we have one in 243. Stop by, we will take care of you.
    nope have a 243... may beinterest in that mod. 700 270... and get hunt_ak to painter up....but your a month away from visiting yet! ( it is moose season) and i have time... thanks where are you guys anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Vince dont you even think about going to Boondocks - without stopping by here; just a half mile away.
    LOL well you know if you ever answered the phone....... Book sellers is coming up in oct... why dont you ride up with him

    Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    Vince:

    Boondocks had one of the youth model lefties in 7mm-08 when I stopped by Monday. If I remember right it was $795.

    Wild West guns has always done me right so don't forget to check there too.

    Ed
    see wild ak!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    yikes!

    thats what i said!!!!





    Quote Originally Posted by Unalakleet yooper View Post
    Vince,

    I have a left handed A-bolt hunter in 270wsm. Drop me a note if that would be something that would interest you.

    Thanks
    shoot me some pics and interesting details vince@alaska.net if Tweety is still out that way tell her i said hello
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    as i sit and watch my daughter shoot out the window... i realise i really need to seriously consider a proper rifle for her...


    she loves her browning 270 but she shoots lefty as she is Left eye dom. and right handed...


    however Leftys are hard to come by at times and they seem to all be large cals...

    where in Anch.. or FBK would i find a good selection of used leftys?

    new is always good but not the norm on our budgets these day...

    Consider the Browning BLR. Great gun in my opinion for the money. Got one this year that is stainless with a synthetic stock in 270 wsm. Very accurate at 200 yds and not bad to shoot. Trigger a little heavier than my custom rifle but it cost about 1/5 as much. :-) Looks sharp, has a cool feel in the hands and the action is incredibly smooth. Makes a great left handed gun (I am a lefty and have a custom bolt, an old blued browning A bolt and this BLR). Nice thing its just as useful to a righty as it is to a lefty. The stainless 270 wsm were shot show specials but new ones can still be found on Gunbroker and Gunsamerica from time to time.

  16. #16
    Member e45colt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    317

    Default Price Error my fault

    For all interested parties......................I stopped by Boondocks today to verify the price on the lefty Rem700 Youth in 7mm-08. I had thought it was $795.00........................................boy is this a "senior moment"(but I don't qualify age wise).

    Price IS $595

    Totally my screw-up.

    Ed

  17. #17
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Consider the Browning BLR. Great gun in my opinion for the money. Got one this year that is stainless with a synthetic stock in 270 wsm. Very accurate at 200 yds and not bad to shoot. Trigger a little heavier than my custom rifle but it cost about 1/5 as much. :-) Looks sharp, has a cool feel in the hands and the action is incredibly smooth. Makes a great left handed gun (I am a lefty and have a custom bolt, an old blued browning A bolt and this BLR). Nice thing its just as useful to a righty as it is to a lefty. The stainless 270 wsm were shot show specials but new ones can still be found on Gunbroker and Gunsamerica from time to time.

    auto loader eh?


    i had not considered it.....


    that may be cause to buy the progresive loading press I have been eyeballing.... if she shoots them fast then i can make them...........
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  18. #18
    Member e45colt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    317

    Default BLR vs. BAR

    Vince:

    FYI

    BLR is the "Browning Lever Rifle" which is often confused with BAR "Browning Auto Rifle".

    Either way you would have reason to consider a progressive press.

    Ed

  19. #19
    Member Armymark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    624

    Default

    I grew up a lefty and it has created a "style" I guess you would say for lack of a better term. I never really got into a bolt gun because they were hard to find or expensive or a pain because it was for a right hander. I have lever actions, autos, pumps, and Ruger #1's. Theres a lot of great choices beyond the standard bolt gun. My oldest gun is the Marlin 39A Mountie my Dad gave me in the 70's, which I still own. I recently bought a Marlin 1895 MXLR chambered in .450 Marlin, but there are all kinds of lever guns, 357 Mag,.44 Mag, 30.30, .308 and on. There are numerous choices of caliber with pumps and autos out there. I have a freind in the lower 48 that hunts deer with a .270 Remington Pump. I still have the Remington 742 Woodmaster in 30.06 Auto my Dad paid a hundred bucks for when I was a kid. If you can get into what I call the "modern day Sharps", the Ruger No. 1 is a great way to to develope the "make your shot count" rifleperson. 2 cents from a lefty...

  20. #20
    Member e45colt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    317

    Default I agree

    Have multiple levers and a single custom lefty bolt. I also have a Ruger #1 in .45-70 that rocks. My taste for shotguns runs towards the side-by-sides with pumps second. Blued with wood.

    Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •