Thread: Seat's for the Lev

Default Seat's for the Lev

Im thinking of making 2 seats for my Lev out of 3/4- or-1''1/8 plywood rounding all corners and coating with thick coats of lauqer and 2 holes on each end for straps to D-rings,Going from center of tube to center of tube (maybe a lil longer?) So my Question is: should I coat the tubes of my raft with something for wear?? Or should I glue something to the bottom of the plywood seats?? Thanks for any info??

Default Seats for the Lev-

Reilly,

The plyboard you speak of will work fine, as long as it doesn't sag. I think the thickness you're talking about should prevent that though. If it were me, I'd just glue a wear patch to the top of both tubes in the area where your seat board will ride. This will protect your tubes from wear.

You could apply urethane coating in the same area, but I believe the wear patch would be a longer-lasting solution. You can do this yourself without too much trouble. Give Tracey Harmon a call over at Alaska Raft and Kayak and he can walk you through the process.

Were you planning on installing a regular seat to the board, or just the board? If you go with a bolt-on seat, I think the leverage against that seat back when you lean back will cause your seat board to rock back and forth a bit. If you were going with just the board, you might consider glueing some closed-cell foam to it for a cushion and to keep your hindquarters warm.

You could do the same thing up front for your passengers too. But up there you have that grommet strip to contend with. The strip sits dead-center on top of the tubes, so you might have to trim out part of it, otherwise your seat board will cause the grommets to dig into your tubes a little. Maybe not a problem, but something to think about. I would probably avoid using the grommet strip to strap your seat board, because the board needs to extend over the top of the tubes. Just my opinion though. There are other ways.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

My Lev don't have the grommet strip so I'll be ok there and I was thinking on some glue down closed cell stuff for seats...So you think that going to center of the tubes would be fine? And the Other ways??

Default Wood seats

I have done a bunch of the wood bench seats over the years, and one of the best ways I have covered them is to take the boards after you have all the edges and corners smoothed is to take them over to a place that does Spray in truck bed liners. I have just left mine for them to spray the next job they do. I have them hang them from the bolt holes I have pre drilled and they totally enrobe the board sealed up tight. I don't care what color it comes out, as it is usually black, but I have had silver and tan done before also.The marble effect of the bed liner makes them really pretty slip resistant. and they last for ever. never need to paint them or laquer them up ever again.. It does not add any real measure of weight as the coat is only a 1/16 of an inch thick, but way tougher than any painted on stuff..
    I still have a set I did about 9 years ago..Weather has basically no impact on them so I can leave them out all summer..
    the idea to add a wear patch where they will ride on the tubes is a good idea...
    Good luck..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Great idea, Max!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    ...have all the edges and corners smoothed is to take them over to a place that does Spray in truck bed liners. I have just left mine for them to spray the next job they do. I have them hang them from the bolt holes I have pre drilled and they totally enrobe the board sealed up tight.Good luck..
    Max
    Max,

I learned something new! That has to be the slickest idea I've heard in a long time. Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay