Thread: Silvers at DIPAC

Default Silvers at DIPAC

Starting to show up in fair numbers. Still pretty small fish. Nothing over 8#.

Only a few up in the ladder on Monday. Saw ~100 today at lunch.

Bring your Klawock spinners!

They could bust about 6+ folks a day for snagging over the line. One guy has been fined twice. Go figure.

Should be decent meat fishing in a couple more weeks.

Default Smaller Coho

Seems like we are collecting quite a few smaller Coho with the regular-sized ones on the salt around Shelter Island this year - I was wondering if a high percentage of them were headed to DIPAC. I'm not complaining - it just takes a few more to add up in the freezer.

I stopped by the Hatchery and saw signs of the Coho starting to show. I bet the Georges Rock / Outer Point area will be picking up for those returnees. Best of luck.

What's a Klawock Spinner?

And yeah, when I was there on Tuesday, they could've busted probably 10 guys for snagging from the bridge...

There was a killing made on fines today..... :P Gotta keep the snaggers at bay....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    What's a Klawock Spinner?
    The ubiquitous three-pronged attack!!! [treb hook]

Spot and stalk and rip is a fun fishing technique.

Had my chances after work last night. Just can't like spinning gear. I think I need to convert an 8' boat road to a 6.5 or 7' ripper. Cut my teeth on baitcasters / level-winds.

I'm still amazed that you guys can stand going down there....all the people and combat fishing drives me nuts....

I can go during my lunch hour. I don't to the wall-to-wall action or stand next to noobs. Eye protection in MANDATORY - you need polaroids to see the fish anyhoo. When it's hot I can get my limit during the lunch hour.

Still no where near as bad as the Russian River, where they stand two fishermen deep . . .

And last year it was something like $3.50/gal to go boating.

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    Seems like we are collecting quite a few smaller Coho with the regular-sized ones on the salt around Shelter Island this year
    Yeah, but 3- 22.0# or better cohos caught during the Derby. Cohos placing 6 & 7th.

IMO it seems like the silvers keep getting smaller and smaller at DIPAC.

Question I'm ignorant

Where is DIPAC?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

DIPAC is an acronym for Douglas Island Pink and Chum... its a hatchery here in Juneau...

Georges Rock was good for me on Sunday of the Derby got a 17lb and a 15lb there, plus 6 others.

Not sure where I am going this weekend.
    Last edited by Sobie2; 08-28-2009 at 09:46. Reason: added more

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    Seems like we are collecting quite a few smaller Coho
    Same thing is happening with montana creek. Out of the 3 i have pulled out of there so far, nothing more than 5 pounds, and havent seen anything larger than 6 or 7 pulled out all year. The one I got today was less than 20".

I think ya'll need to step your game up.....No problems for me....

Default 3.6 lbs

So DIPAC did their first round of cost recovery cohos, they sold 1200 lbs of fish. But they had over 300 fish putting the average size at 3.6 lbs.

There was an article in the paper today where they also said the Chums this year were smaller.....They think it might be to do with the amount of feed available at sea...

Default Klawock Spinner

Never thought that 'Klawock Spinner' was a phrase used off POW. That is great.

Quote Originally Posted by smpow View Post
    Never thought that 'Klawock Spinner' was a phrase used off POW. That is great.
    Maybe you/we need a new one?

How about Karta Kastmaster?

Things should be quite excellent by Wednesday. Give the water a chance to clear up. Couldn't believe how chocolately the channel was on Sunday!

3.6# must be the G&G'ed weight. That's about the size of the fish up in at the top of the ladder now. They must bypass the seiner show and net 'em right out of teh concrete box.

The silvers we caught at Outer Point on Friday averaged at least 10 pounds on the hoof. Can't buy into the not enuff feed. The wild fish are nice size. They always seem to get bigger as you get into September.

Default Pretty Much

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    3.6# must be the G&G'ed weight. That's about the size of the fish up in at the top of the ladder now. They must bypass the seiner show and net 'em right out of teh concrete box.

The silvers we caught at Outer Point on Friday averaged at least 10 pounds on the hoof. Can't buy into the not enuff feed. The wild fish are nice size. They always seem to get bigger as you get into September.
    Yeah they shock-em at the top of the raceway and sell them. Either way #3.6 G&G'd puts them at 5 lbs. Pretty small. The later fish should be bigger, coho's are unique because they continue feeding and growing right up until they hit the stream. Other salmon like kings stop growing when they make the turn towards freshwater.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    There was a killing made on fines today..... :P Gotta keep the snaggers at bay....
    Apparently the troopers rolled through there on Saturday and they made a killing on fines too....You would think people would get the idea...I heard all about it while I was collecting dead chums for bait..."there's some guy who sits behind a computer at the Empire who's calling the troopers!" LOL....

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    I'm still amazed that you guys can stand going down there....all the people and combat fishing drives me nuts....
    Agreed!!!

I took my son down there and his lure/line was caught 3 times by snagers illegally fishing. We left, my temper was flaring and it wasn't worth it.

I sent you a PM VanSlam...