Thread: Moose on the Slope?

Default Moose on the Slope?

Just wondering what you guys who have been up the haul road this year having been seeing for moose. I have the permit for north of Atigun Pass to Prudhoe and will be leaving sept. 4th to hunt for 10 days. I have seen them in the past around Pump 3 but would love to hear whats going on currently. Even spots where you've seen or hunted bulls in the past would be appreciated. Thanks.

No help to you but I just heard of a great big monster near the road. I didn't inquire where because it would've been meaningless... He was north of Atigun. I have the south of Coldfoot tag.

Have a great hunt!

Taylor

When you headed up Marc? I have the same tag.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I cross the bridge on the 14th. You?

Taylor

-[]------->

Cross the bridge on the morning of the 10th. Leaving Talkeetna after work on the 9th, but driving with my 13y.o. so I will be doing all the driving. Look for a Silver crew cab Chevy with Moores' Hardware door stickers. Say Hi if you see me.

In past years we have seen decent bulls just north of Pump station 2 around the boat launch. Seen the bulk of them right around pump 3 though. Furthest north I've seen a bull is about a mile south of the west guard shack in Prudhoe.

If I see any between now and the 31st, I'll make sure to let you know.

We went in August, all the moose we saw were south of atigun pass.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Thanks....

Thanks for the info. I've gotten some PM's that have been helpful. Looking forward to a good hunt.

Default Cow called this one

to my truck! I never thought anything like this could happen. By Galbraith lake. Hopefully picture will show.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default moose on the slope

Last year 2008 we seen two cows and one bull moose around pump three. They were laying down in the brush near the river.

Default Moose

Thanks for all the info guys. I spent 9 days hunting up there, shot a couple nice caribou but didn't connect on the moose. I did see 3 different bulls and could have shot a small 25" in the first couple hours the first day but I wanted to see what else was around. Oh well had a good time and saw moose in most of the places mentioned. Thanks again.

I'm also back. Passed on a small bull late in the day hoping to get on him the next morning. The next morning there was a big grizzly in the same spot feeding as he walked away from the road. No way I could get in front of him and he picked up the pace when I stopped the truck.

Marc Taylor's van has some good dust graffiti on it now..

Messed up my knee and hip later in the day so we cooled our heels with a cup of coffee at the Borealis Lodge in Wiseman talking with Heidi and June, while my son hung out with Heidi's son Josh. Really nice folks with a 40 year history in Wiseman. I walked away with a good education of their viewpoints of the area.