Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Late season berry picking (South Central)?

  1. #1
    Member Crab_n_fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, Alaska
    Posts
    269

    Default Late season berry picking (South Central)?

    I have this weekend off, after working for the past seven days. Where in South Central will one still find blueberries in abundance, this "late" in the season? A couple weeks ago I had an offer to meet-up with a forum member in Eagle River. I was also told by one "guesser" from work, that in Hatcher Pass the berries are "already picked over," which I find hard to believe.

    Looking for blueberries, salmonberries, lowbush cranberries, etc. If not this weekend I may try the next depending on my own availability. (I hope my employer doesn't call me in to cover a shift on my day(s) off.)

  2. #2
    Member ironartist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Ran down to the swamp tuesday by my place and it was FULL of blueberries, big fat ones. Just go for a walk and look for the plants they are pretty abundunt and real easy to spot right now.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    230

    Default

    There are probably still quite a few in Whittier. When I was down there a week ago I found some places that looked like blueberry forests, and the berries had gotten huge, possibly because they had a couple good rains the week before. I read that once the berries start getting really ripe they're not as likely to set when made into jam. If that's true, I'd get a-pickin' before it gets much further into the cool weather. Almost time for cranberries, anyway.

  4. #4

    Default arctic valley

    The lower slopes are picked over, but head up high and down the valley and you will find plenty of bushes full of berries. Just picked several quarts on Sunday.

    -hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Whittier is still loaded with berries. After paddling today we picked blueberries out Shotgun Cove Road. The berries are enormous (easily twice the size of Arctic Valley berries) and still nice and firm. I'd say there's at least another week of prime berry picking down there, maybe more. Salmonberries are pretty much done for the year, though we found a couple nice patches of them.

    Take good repellent if you go. The no-see-ums were swarming today.

    It's going to take sandpaper to get the purple out of my hands.

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    13

    Default Blue Berries are still good

    We just came from Whittier this evening and there are still an enormous amount of blue berries on the bushes along the Shotgun Cove trail. They are still firm, however some are starting to get too soft. We got over two gallons of berries and would have gotten more had we had more time.

    The only thing that I'm not sure about is that the berries in Whittier seem to be a little less sweet than those that we have collected in the Chugach Mountains and along the Denali Highway. Any ideas?

  7. #7

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Northernl View Post
    We just came from Whittier this evening and there are still an enormous amount of blue berries on the bushes along the Shotgun Cove trail. They are still firm, however some are starting to get too soft. We got over two gallons of berries and would have gotten more had we had more time.

    The only thing that I'm not sure about is that the berries in Whittier seem to be a little less sweet than those that we have collected in the Chugach Mountains and along the Denali Highway. Any ideas?
    Those are High Bush Berries. Not as good as Low Bush and often much more wormy. Put them in a bucket of salt water for a while before you clean them to use. This helps get the bugs and worms out. Low Bush Berries are the preferred by most people.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •