Thread: sending meat back from Kodiak

Default sending meat back from Kodiak

I have a deer\elk hunt coming up and was wondering the best way to get meat back. We are flying in and out because conflicting ferry schedule. I was thinking about sending a couple big coolers down before hand and sending back with Alaska airlines or should I just buy some of those fish boxes?
    Anyone that has done this before please let me know.

Thanks

A couple choices. Alaska Airlines has a freezer and cooler in Kodiak. Here are their rules:
    If not packaged per the following specifications, the shipment shall not be transported.

Shipment(s) must be tendered for transportation a minimum of 3 hours prior to flight departure.
    Must be encased in a heavy-duty polyethylene bag regardless of outer packaging.
    Must be in leak proof outer container (no Styrofoam).
    Must have no noticeable odors.
    Maximum weight per piece 100 pounds.
    Labeled appropriately (FROZEN OR COOL).
    Dry ice (up to 5 pounds) or gel ice can be used. No wet ice allowed.
    Interline shipments accepted subject to meeting connecting carrier's rules and regulations.
    Cooler or freezer space not guaranteed.
    Federal Lacey Act requires specific labeling of all interstate shipments.
    All charges must be prepaid.
    All surfaces must be clean of blood and dirt.

You can also ship Northern Air Cargo. Their web site is:

http://www.nacargo.com/shipping/special.php

Good luck.

Default meat

I've sent meat back from Kodiak with Northern Air Cargo several times. Always worked out well, plan on doing the same this year.

Default NAC

Worked @ NAC for many years. Less of H/A than AK airlines to ship on. If you fly out with Andrews they can keep your stuff cool until its time to catch the flt home. NAC does not have a huge cooler or frzr space in ADQ. Any other questions drop me a PM.

Last year NAC's freezer in Kodiak was not functional at all. Every single person I talked to locally in Kodiak said to NOT ship meat by NAC because of this. I didn't have any issues with my normal gear with NAC, though.

I shipped through ERA, who uses the same agents as Alaska, but was cheaper. I shipped in a ducted tape shut Igloo cooler and labled Freeze. Meat was frozen when I went to pick it up in Anchorage the day after my AK Air flight got there.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Here is something I was going to share

This is my method for keeping and transporting meat on kodiak. To date I have never lost any meat at camp and only one deer in the field to bears. We take food and other gear over in rubbermaid totes. When a deer is shot we bone the deer into a trash compactor bag for transport in the pack and storage in the totes. Once at camp the bags are cleanly put into the totes and placed in water source it does not take real deep water to keep it cold. Two bucks 70# each can be put into a tote. Cycle cold meat to tops as trip progresses so that warm meat is closet to the water. We use a strap to keep them each closed and sprinkle mothballs on the lids. These same totes work to ship it home and load well into the airplane. The fence is a new addition since 2005 I still have no knowledge of a bear touching it. I did have one standing twelve feet from it one morning in 2005. I'm sure there are other ways but this has been very effective at tent camps for us on a dozen or more trips to kodiak. I will be heading down Sept. 30th with totes in tow.

Default Careful with NAC

We shipped a moose back via Northern Air Cargo last year from Kotz, paid extra for them to put it in their freezer since we went on to caribou camp for several days before returning to ANC. They left it sit on the tarmac and ruined the entire moose, cape and all. My father-in-law picked it up and the pallet was warm, leaking and reaking. The guys outside fessed up, but when we pushed the issue, the facility gal inside started trying to say she thought she saw it in their cooler at some point. Their limitation allows them to pay your pennies on the pound and are free to ruin your meat.

From my own personal experience and trying to deal with them afterward adn given the chance to make things right--which they didn't--I will explore every option, regardless if significantly more expensive before I would ever ship anything back with NAC. They were grossly negligent after accepting our money to freeze it, try to weezle around their admitted wrong, the one lady at the facility changed her story. We were left with rotten meat and a rotten taste in our mouths. Felt jaded and lied to. I see them as the absolute last resort.

I am not one to normally rant, but this remains a sore spot within our family and will happily share our miserable expierence at every opportunity.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default I had a BAD experience

shipping on AK Air a few years ago.
    PM me if you want details.
    Gary

If you have any doubts as to who to ship with call your air taxi. Seahawk and Andrews pull no punches when telling you who THEY'D ship with.

Trapperbob are they ok with the tubs flying out of kodiak on the small planes and what size of tubs are those its hard to tell from the picture.Looks like a great idea.

Its my first trip over there so im not sure what to expect and getting meat back in good shape was the main thing I was concerned about.

Thanks for all the info guys

Default AK airlines is NOT the way to go!

I know options are limitied, and I'm sure others have better experiences w/AK airlines. However, I went on a goat/deer hunt 2 years ago with a buddy. We both took NICE deer and goats. Everything was hung and taken care of (Trooper stopped by and said it was one of the best setups he saw for cooling the meat and taking care of it). Got to AK airlines and it was a hassle but got it in. Told them it needed to be froze and they put the freeze stickers on it.

Got it in anchorage, wasn't frozen, was rotten and full of maggots. Glad I brought the goat cape back w/me and didn't try to ship it. Lost all of the meat!

So....yeah, that sucked.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Man thanks for the heads up guys. I'm heading down there in Oct. for a goat hunt. I was planning on shipping the meat and cape back with AK airlines as checked baggage on my way home. Is this what you guys were doing?

Thanks again for the info.

We were trying to check it as cargo, so that it could go in the freezer. Had LOTS (stayed 2 days extra) of weather issues, and wanted to make sure it made it in a freezer (and they assured us it would).
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Checked baggage would be the way to go if you can keep it cool until that point.

ERA sure did a good job for me. After seeing the doors wide open on the NAC freezer and junk stacked in there last season there was NO way I was shipping through them.

If Alaska Air is out, and NAC is out there is only one choice left...ERA..

Does anyone know if there is dry ice available in Kodiak? If so, I'd be putting a bunch in a cooler just in case it gets left sitting out for a couple days. Dry ice in a good cooler will keep meat for days.

Will,

You got shafted by a ground handler in OTZ. Not by NAC. There is no Freezer that I know of in OTZ big enough to store moose. Or @ least two years ago there wasn't. Most out-stations have a chest freezer or very small walk in cooler. There is no way for them to handle the over flow for the hunting season. I expect most of your meat was ruined before it ever left OTZ for ANC.

NAC in ANC rent 40' freezer vans for the over flow during the hunting season. Good planning on scheduled departure & arrival dates, times, & doing some calling ahead to your out-stations can save you some grief.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I still use them from ADQ to OME & have yet to have any issues. Weather, M/X, & etc can leave your meat stranded for a long time. Never come out on a Friday for one! Your stuff could be setting all weakend on the tarmack!

Default 18 gallon rubbermaid rough neck totes

You can find them for $5.00 or $6.00 on sale. They work great in the beaver and the jet. Usually stack a few on the way over.

Default We used AK air

Last year coming off of Kodiak we had a large bull elk and a blacktail. We purchased wax boxes from Seahawk and filled them to 50 pounds on Seahawks scale. We stayed one night in Kodiak, and the hotel (can't remember which one it is, but it the one right there at the airport) let us put the wax boxes in their walk-in cooler for the night. Alaska airlines let us check 3 bags a piece in for in-state flights, and a fourth for 25 bucks. That's four bags with a weight limit of 50 pounds each for 25 dollars-can't really beat that. The extra gear that we couldn't fit we sent back with AK air cargo, but the meat travelled with us and isn't going to go bad on the flight back to Anchorage. I thought it worked real smooth, and we didn't have any hangups. Attached is a pic of an airport baggage cart that earned its keep and would hardly roll. This worked out well as there were three of us and we had one elk permit, allowing us to check a total of 12 bags. If you plan on killing more than one elk, good luck. It took us the better part of three days to get my one back to the beach.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the info guys