Thread: Koyukuk DM830, my dilema...

Unhappy Koyukuk DM830, my dilema...

So I heard the Koyukuk is 4' lower then last year and I heard it was low last year. That big 26' Hewes Craft I run needs some water. We have 1 DM830 permit and I am worried about going all the way there from Kenai and not finding enough water. Also, if it is low and the temp drops it will get lower and maybe freeze. The thought of not getting my boat off the Koyukuk is curbing my enthusiasim. Backing out on the hunt is something I hate doing as I don't back out on hunts unless an emergency exists. Our 2007 trip up there was the best and going back will be great. Are any of you going up there with a big prop boat? Does any one have a phone number for Glenn Stout, the area biologist or away to know the current river levels? The weather reports do not show much rain in the future. This is eating me up and I may have to see a mental health counselor or start drinking and cussing. Crap.

Glenn Stout
    907-656-1345
    glen.stout@alaska.gov

I would imagine he is heading out to Ellas Cabin about this time. I have hunted the Koyukuk a lot of years and water was never a concern but I run a jet. I would be very aprehensive in a big prop boat, it will definetly add new elements to your trip.

My memory is failing me - which area is that hunt and which period early or late? I have no luck at drawing so I can't keep them straight.

Default yukon water

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    So I heard the Koyukuk is 4' lower then last year and I heard it was low last year. That big 26' Hewes Craft I run needs some water. We have 1 DM830 permit and I am worried about going all the way there from Kenai and not finding enough water. Also, if it is low and the temp drops it will get lower and maybe freeze. The thought of not getting my boat off the Koyukuk is curbing my enthusiasim. Backing out on the hunt is something I hate doing as I don't back out on hunts unless an emergency exists. Our 2007 trip up there was the best and going back will be great. Are any of you going up there with a big prop boat? Does any one have a phone number for Glenn Stout, the area biologist or away to know the current river levels? The weather reports do not show much rain in the future. This is eating me up and I may have to see a mental health counselor or start drinking and cussing. Crap.
    hello,,just returned from the bridge brought down new boat,,8.5 hours bridge to galena,,no problems water is raising,,, a little bit of drift from bone yard down,,my phone is 656-4561 if you have questions
    Last edited by alaskachallenge@yahoo.com; 08-27-2009 at 08:55. Reason: miss spelling

Although my hunting experience is limited to one trip up the Koyukuk I have known guys who have done it since the early 80's and have picked there brains for years.

Freezing can happen especially if you hunt the last part of the season as we do. One group had to leave there boat till the following summer but luckily it was able to be pulled from the river. There advice was if we noticed ice on the water to pack up and get out of dodge immediately. We seen freezing temperatures a couple of days last year but no ice.
    Remember to leave your motor down when the boat is on shore overnight so the water in the pump does not freeze.
    Good luck!
    Tennessee

Default low water

Just talked to one of the FW troopers that flies the Koyukuk during moose season. He said the report was ..... "you could walk across at the shallow spot on the Long Stretch." Might be trouble for a big boat. Might be trouble for a small one.

Default AKChallenge

Thanks for the trip info. I do think I'll bring the chainsaw winch to pull us across a sand bar if needed. Did your new Wildlife Trooper show up yet? You probably know him if you have been in Galena awhile.
    Not to get too far off topic, but what new boat did you take down? Pretty good time too, but I'm sure you know the road pretty well. Thanks again for any info on the river conditions.

Unhappy I am a wretch...

Thanks for the info guys. I need some one to run a 180 miles up the Koyukuk in a big prop boat and tell me how it went. Just call and wake me up any time. I can't make up my mind. I now know what it feels like to be a wretched, indecisive person. My wife looks at me and shakes her head. If I had a dog it would run away. Crap.

I say go for it! We never know when F&G will change the rules and possibly end this hunt for non permit holders. If you don't make it all the way find a good place to hunt reguardless.

We are still planning on going and if lack of water stops us so be it. Who knows, might rain like crazy for 3 days before you depart.
    Tennessee

Default Agree

Low water, Smoh water, I'm going anyway. I believe once you get above the Gisasa River the permit is good. Given, there might be a bunch of us camped out there like a shanty town, but so what. I've seen moose from Ellas all the way to where we hunt in between upper and lower Three Day. Actually the largest black bear I've ever seen was going up Long Stretch.
    I understand the apprehension, the 26' Hewes is a big boat. Remember the last time you went it rained pretty good while up there and the water came up about 1-2'.
    We certainly don't run 180 miles up, you just might have to shorten the length of the run.
    Last year three of us had DM817, and we did a bunch of research but got stopped from where we wanted to go with low water. We improvised and had a great trip.

Default Another note

I emailed Glenn Stout and he said the check station will be about 1/2 mile downstream of the normal site. I wondered when the hill might give out there on the corner.

Default Lowest in a life time

According to elder friend in Huslia "lowest he's seen in a lifetime" Bring props and tow rope to pull me off the bars both on the river and at Archies, See ya there!
    Good Luck Louie

Smile PM sent...

AK Louie, I sent you a PM with a phone #. Thanks for the info and have a good trip. What kind of boat are you in?

Default Louie make up your mind!

Dan, a week ago you said you were'nt going, now you are? Glad to see you aint skeered!

Default Never Give Up

Skeered-NO! Aprehensive-YES! Been there done it got the T-shirt. 13 trips in and out, no problem! You still need to be CAUTIOUS! JH ran to the Vill last night with a prop, no problem but still-----

Be careful and go slow if ya must. Lot easier pushin off at 5 MPH than 40.

Louie

Default Louie

No truer words have been spoken. A coworker of mine always said "where the birds are walking, don't go there".

Smile Yeehaw, rain...

The weather report for Huslia for the next 9 days is rain, showers and snow. The Koyukuk will be on the rise. I will go hunting! My buddy with the DM830 permit will shoot a big moose. My other buddy will shoot his first moose. I will film it. At least that is the plan for now. Thank You Lord!

I will see you up there i think we are leaving about the same time. Good luck
    T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Default koyukuk river,water level

hi all just returned to galena for the night,,koyukuk water low but very doable,,lower end of long stretch has some new bars,,kateel river forget it til we get rain,,,3 day slough went as far as coville bend,15 bulls first night,,but realy worked to get in and up there,,water raising alittle,,heading backup tommorow

AKchallenge, thanks again for the info. We will be in Galena the night of the 15th heading up on the 16th. We will stop for the night, come down to the gas shack and say hi.