Thread: vacuum sealed fish

Default vacuum sealed fish

Posted this in the flyfishing forum but thought I should put it up here as well.

Got back from my Kenai peninsula fishing trip on Sunday which was a blast. On Monday I was reorganizing my freezer and noticed in at least 50% of the fish that I had vacuum sealed at Kenai Cache, the bag was partially unsealed or coming that way. All fish that I had sealed up in Ninilchik (double the amount as Kenai Cache)are great and the price per pound was a $1 cheaper.

I emailed Kenai Cache about the vacuum seal problem but no response yet. Just wanted to let people know that for $2lb for vacuum seal and freezing, they might want to make sure they are getting the quality they are paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineWoods View Post
    Posted this in the flyfishing forum but thought I should put it up here as well.

Got back from my Kenai peninsula fishing trip on Sunday which was a blast. On Monday I was reorganizing my freezer and noticed in at least 50% of the fish that I had vacuum sealed at Kenai Cache, the bag was partially unsealed or coming that way. All fish that I had sealed up in Ninilchik (double the amount as Kenai Cache)are great and the price per pound was a $1 cheaper.

I emailed Kenai Cache about the vacuum seal problem but no response yet. Just wanted to let people know that for $2lb for vacuum seal and freezing, they might want to make sure they are getting the quality they are paying for.
    Yup! I wasn't very impressed with the service at the "Cache" this year. If I have to buy tackle and services, I'll definitely go to Gwinns next year. They got most of my business after my first encounter at the cache. Funny thing is... last year the Colonel and his help were very helpful and friendly! Maybe it's the lack of business in these hard times that have changed their attitudes. Either way, it's no excuse for a business model.

Back to the vacuum packing. I brought my FoodSaver to pac my fish and it was 1/2 air when I got home too! I immediately drove to the Cabelas in town and spent the coin on a CG-15. Wow! What a unit! I repacked all of my fish and they are tighter than a snare drum! If you are a lower 48'er like me(dreaming of being an Alaskan), I'd recommend just having your fish frozen in ziplock bags and then repacking them at home with your own vac packer. I think it was Hamiltons on the Kenai side of the road that will freeze your fish for dirt cheap! I highly recommend those folks.

Best of luck next year and I hope my bit of advice helps.

2.00 a pound is insane! I paid 1.05 a pound to vac pac and flash freeze at Coal Point and they did a truly GREAT job. I have yet to find one that has come undone

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    2.00 a pound is insane! I paid 1.05 a pound to vac pac and flash freeze at Coal Point and they did a truly GREAT job. I have yet to find one that has come undone
    I have used Coal point as well, and they did a great job!

Default Kenai Cache

John
    I was telling Chuck about this several weeks ago. After my wife and I spent several hundered dollars in Kenai Cache, we went out and loaded everthing in the truck. I told my wife that I was going to run back in and use the restroom before we left. I know they have a restroom in the back corner, I have been in the store many times and spent a ton of money. When I walked in the owner looked in my direction and I told him that I was just going to use the restroom before we left. He told me that they did not have a restroom and for me to go find a tree and then laughed about it. I hate to be negative, but if he only knew where I was working in Seward and how many people headed his way were warned to stay away.
    Like the old saying says, "I don't get made, I get even", I know for a fact that his remark cost him serious money. I will not forget that for a long time.

Randy

Default John

Funny you mention Hamilton's and the CG15. I brought up a cg15 with me this year and packed my fish, then ran them down to Hamilton's and froze them. 35cents per pound for the entire summer! The Cache gets more than that per week just for freezing. I asked Chuck not to tell anyone about Hamilton's freezer, I liked having my own personal freezer (grin). I know that alot of people reading this knew Hamiltons had a freezer, but it seemed I was one of the few with fish in it most of the time. The old man seems grumpy most of the time, but is really a nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by txguide View Post
    Funny you mention Hamilton's and the CG15. I brought up a cg15 with me this year and packed my fish, then ran them down to Hamilton's and froze them. 35cents per pound for the entire summer! The Cache gets more than that per week just for freezing. I asked Chuck not to tell anyone about Hamilton's freezer, I liked having my own personal freezer (grin). I know that alot of people reading this knew Hamiltons had a freezer, but it seemed I was one of the few with fish in it most of the time. The old man seems grumpy most of the time, but is really a nice guy.
    Never judge a book by its cover, Randy!

I totally understand how you feel about the "Cache". I'm looking elsewhere for my goods from now on. It's kind of sad, because I really like the place! I guess what comes around goes around and like the old saying goes " Screw me once, shame on you... screw me twice... shame on me!

It's sad because the previous owners were awesome!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    It's sad because the previous owners were awesome!!!!!!
    As far as I know, the Colonel still owns the place.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    As far as I know, the Colonel still owns the place.

Not Hamilton's John, Kenai Cache.

Reel-em-in charters in Ninilchik did our first batch of fish which was about 80lbs for $1 a pound for freeze and seal and the quality and service was fantastic. They have a $4500 sealer that can do 6 bags at once and it does not suck the air out but instead has a domed-lid and the air inside the dome is negatively pressurized forcing the air out of the bags. Really cool!

Kenai cache is a great store for tackle and stuff but the fish processing will make me go elsewhere next year.

Default Drifter

The same guy still owns Kenai Cache, the guy John stated. I think the guy has went nuts, hope he doesn't end up doing what the owner of Gwinns did.

These style units are commercial chamber units.The work way better than the external units.I bought a smaller chamber machine this year from mini-pack (MVS-31) and was told that a external unit like foodsaver will remove about 75% of the air at best but a chamber unit will remove 99.99%.They are weird to play with.You can fill a bag with water put it in the machine turn it on and the water will start to boil.What it is doing is sucking all the air out of the water.

Reel-em-in charters in Ninilchik did our first batch of fish which was about 80lbs for $1 a pound for freeze and seal and the quality and service was fantastic. They have a $4500 sealer that can do 6 bags at once and it does not suck the air out but instead has a domed-lid and the air inside the dome is negatively pressurized forcing the air out of the bags. Really cool!

Kenai cache is a great store for tackle and stuff but the fish processing will make me go elsewhere next year.

Quote Originally Posted by txguide View Post
    The same guy still owns Kenai Cache, the guy John stated. I think the guy has went nuts, hope he doesn't end up doing what the owner of Gwinns did.

LOL! See, Dave! I might know a thing or two about Cooper Landing... eh? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    LOL! See, Dave! I might know a thing or two about Cooper Landing... eh? LOL!
    I haven't seen the old boy or his wife in three years.
    There's always some punk with attitude working in there.

When I go to Homer I have Ed's vacuum and freeze for me. It's $1.00 per pound, 5 mil bags, free storage, and they don't sell seafood so you get your own fish.

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    You can fill a bag with water put it in the machine turn it on and the water will start to boil.What it is doing is sucking all the air out of the water.

What you are seeing reflects the fact that water will boil at near room temps when subject to such an extreme vacuum. On the opposite side of things, it boils at higher temps when subject to higher pressure which is the principle pressure cookers work on.

Vac up some seawater in the 5mm bags and freeze them flat for cold packs in your coolers. Seawater freezes hard and holds the cold for extended times.

The reason the water does not boil when using a seal a meal type machine is because it does not have enough power to even come close to pulling a true vacuum (30"hg) Most are pulling 15"hg at best. I've had a couple people complain about leaky bags and yes a few bags will be leakers and some the seal could be overlapped or soiled, thats going to happen to a few when your doing 5,000 bags a year. What I hate is when I see someone throwing fish from the freezer to the cooler, plastic bags are brittle at -20.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com