Thread: "Fish box" for bear hide

Default "Fish box" for bear hide

My guide has instructed me to purchase a "fish box" in King Salmon, on my way to Port Moeller, to hopefully pack my bear hide in for flight home. Any idea where I can purchase such a thing when I land in King Salmon?

Thanks again for all of the help!

I'm assuming he is talking about the waxed cardboard boxes or insulated boxes you ship fish in. Man, he must be thinking you aren't going to be getting a very big bear...not a lot of room for a hide in one of those!!

Default Hides in boxes

We sometimes use them for black bears to ship out and they work fine. This spring one fella got a biggie, 21.5" skull I think and around 7 foot, wouldn't fit. If you get a nice bear in Port Moeller, you'll need one WAY bigger than a 50# box expecially for the skull.

Good luck down there i'll be in Pilot Point chasing them as well.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

If there is a fish processing plant (ie cannery). Just go down and let them know what you need. they should have wax boxes up to 80lber that we used to call coffins.
    Good luck.

Default you'll be

better off with the BIGGEST duffel bag you can find.
    pack/wrap hide in "contractor" plastic bag(s) first, slide into the duffel.
    another option is an extra large plastic tote. use zip ties to keep the lid on.
    Gary

Default Fish Boxes

Fish boxes come in 50, 80, and 100 pound varieties. The 100# boxes are sold at Fred Meyer for about $15. I don't know what they'd cost you in King Salmon, though. You'll definitely want the 100# box... not the 50# boxes.

Default King salmon

We bought ours after having a successful hunt at the grocery store there in King Salmon. I think it was $25, might have been for both, two hides. I believe they were 80# boxes, big enough for our 7'ers. I believe it was the only store near by. The cab driver or charter service will know where to take you.