Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Down!!!

Default Grizzly Down!!!

I posted this in the archery section, but I know a lot of you don't frequent over there so I thought I would share the story here...

It was my first night hunting and I filled my DB990 grizzly tag on the Dalton. Just north of Ice Cut we spotted a grizzly crossing the road and heading east towards the pipeline. Several big rigs were heading through, and really worked him up, so he ran well past the pipeline and started foraging around out there. I was dropped off and began the stalk, but he was out in the open so I could get to the pipeline and figure out what to do from there. He started heading further east, and headed down the ridge some, but turned and kept south, so I paralleled him on the west side of the pipeline VSM's and was either going to head out after him if he crested over the ridge much further, or set up an ambush if he decided to come back my way.

As luck would have it, he came back my way, almost on a string. The VSM's are 60 feet apart, and he walked right between the two VSM's that I behind in the bushes. He got back on my side of the pipeline and the wind carried my scent right to him. I had already drawn my bow when he was at 15 yards and his head was behind the VSM, so I was ready to go, but did not have a shot yet. He started to trot off, so I yelped at him a few times and he stopped for a quick second to look back at the noise. I already had my 30 yard pin on him and touched off the shot like it was second nature to me. The arrow sailed perfectly blowing right through him and sticked straight up in the tundra about 10 yards past him. He hauled fur across about 50 yards to the road and went another 50 yards past on the other side before laying down. About 2 minutes went by and his head was down and he was no longer moving. Meanwhile the adrenaline is flowing and I'm all sorts of jacked up. I knew it was a dead bear when I saw the arrow hit, it was just a matter of having to wait. 15 minutes later and we are taking pictures.

Unfortunately there was no video. My buddy driving had to drop me off and get out of there because of all the traffic. Tons of big rigs heading north and south, and a couple guys got a real good view of me shooting the bear. We gutted the bear and muscled him back to the road and took him up to the boat launch to have AK Nimrod lend a hand with skinning.

Anyhow, here are a few pictures and I'm off to bed. It's almost 2am. Hopefully I can get some sleep. Third grizzly/brown bear with the bow in three years. Gotta love it!

Brown with a Bow....most excellent.

Might have to do that myself, someday........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

SCHWEET!! You-da-man! Very cool and beautiful animal...

Little info on the setup...bow/arrow/broadhead? Just for the curious minds...

Man, you are a stud!!! Congrats on an amazing archery trophy.

Nicely done.

Thumbs up ok, ok, ok...

Ok young man, I am impressed and I just gave you a standing ovation. 3 in 3 years is pretty darn good. A beautiful looking bear! Good for you.

Nice looking bear and well done!

Default Great

Good job! My wife liked the classy photos, me too.

Thanks guys!

The set up was my Mathews Switchback XT set at 65#. I shoot Gold Tip arrows with 125 grain slick trick broadheads. The broadhead slice through him like butter and is still sharp as ever. Nothing else really used. While he was coming to me I got a couple of ranges, but didn't really need them with the VSM's as a reference.

Only backup I had were the 4 extra arrows in my quiver.

Very nice bear, any thoughts as to how big he will square?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Very nice bear, any thoughts as to how big he will square?

K well i am guessing 5.5 - 6 foot. knowing that 7 foot up there is a huge bear...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

awesome jerod awesome! livin' the dream you are!! congrats!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I did the official size 12 extra tuff measurement while he was on the ground whole and got 6 steps from nose to tail. I'll put a tape on him in a little bit, I'm about to start surgery and get the skull and paws out.

Nice fat healthy bear. The fat on his backstraps was an inch and a half thick. This was my first fall bear, and my 6th bear total. Cool thing is I have never shot a bear the same color as another. My three black bears were cinnamon, chocolate and black, my first grizzly was blond, by brownie was light brown and this guy is dark brown. I love the variety.

Good job Jerod. Better be careful hanging out with that chump you took with you........grin.

Yea, you always need to keep an eye on him, he's good company though. The guy knows how to carve up a bear, so he's good for somethin' at least.

You guys putting the hurt on anything down your way yet?

Not yet, one alpine deer hunt that was more a scouting trip. One week home starting next Tuesday that might find me back up the mountain, then a week with the FIL trying to fill his moose tag.

After that it'll be blacktail madness 'til the end of the year.....

What a beautiful bear!!! Good on ya! Hope to try my hand at it next year. Glad you're also helping with the moose and caribou populations...darn fine wildlife manager...

AZinAK

out freaking standing dude. Loved the story and the bear. felt like I was there with ya. Thanks for sharing.

Got all the meat in the freezer, man these fall bears have a ton of fat. I didn't think about it before, but this is the first bear I've taken in the fall. The backstraps had an inch and a half layer of fat over them. The hindquarters were an inch deep in fat. Turns these guys into some greezy buggers. No smell at all to the meat, and it is a dark reddish color. I kicked myself for not keeping more on the sow I shot in the spring of '07, so hopefully the meat will be as good after this thing has been downing squirrels all summer.

Laid it on the floor and took the tape to it. 5'10" nose to tail and 6'4" paw to paw. Just slightly bigger than that sow from two years back.

Bill, I'd love to make it down one of these years to chase blacktails. I enjoy seeing what you guys put the hammer down on each fall.

Tried to find something to criticize you on. Apparently some folks think no success story goes without griping.
    Sorry tho, just ain't there. Love the idea of using the pipeline and supports for cover to stalk and hide.
    Congrats.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast