Thread: DB990 Success!

Default DB990 Success!

Well, first night out and I filled my grizzly tag on the Dalton. Just north of Ice Cut we spotted a grizzly crossing the road and heading east towards the pipeline. Several big rigs were heading through, and really worked him up, so he ran well past the pipeline and started foraging around out there. I was dropped off and began the stalk, but he was out in the open so I could get to the pipeline and figure out what to do from there. He started heading further east, and headed down the ridge some, but turned and kept south, so I paralleled him on the west side of the pipeline VSM's and was either going to head out after him if he crested over the ridge much further, or set up an ambush if he decided to come back my way.

As luck would have it, he came back my way, almost on a string. The VSM's are 60 feet apart, and he walked right between the two VSM's that I was stashed away in a bush. He got back on my side of the pipeline and the wind carried my scent right to him. I had already drawn my bow when he was at 15 yards and his head was behind the VSM, so I was ready to go, but did not have a shot yet. He started to trot off, so I yelped at him a few times and he stopped for a quick second to look back at the noise. I already had my 30 yard pin on him and touched off the shot like it was second nature to me. The arrow sailed perfectly blowing right through him and sticked straight up in the tundra about 10 yards past him. He hauled fur across about 50 yards to the road and went another 50 yards past on the other side before laying down. About 2 minutes went by and his head was down and he was no longer moving. Meanwhile the adrenaline is flowing and I'm all sorts of jacked up. I knew it was a dead bear when I saw the arrow hit, it was just a matter of having to wait. 15 minutes later and we are taking pictures.

Unfortunately there was no video. My buddy driving had to drop me off and get out of there because of all the traffic. Tons of big rigs heading north and south, and a couple guys got a real good view of me shooting the bear. We gutted the bear and muscled him back to the road and took him up to the boat launch to have AK Nimrod lend a hand with skinning.

Anyhow, here are a few pictures and I'm off to bed. It's almost 2am now and I'm rambling. Hopefully I can get some sleep. Third grizzly/brown bear with the bow in three years. Gotta love it!

THATS AWESOME!!! Great story!!
    What arrow set-up are you using?
    Shaft?? Broadhead??
    Thanks!!

Default Great story

Hey Jerod, that is really great how the bear hunting went.
    I am also curious to hear what arrow set up you use as I am just getting back into archery after being out for about 15 years.
    By the way, how was AKnimrod doing? I was out halibut fishing with him last month down in Homer.
    Andy

Sweet! Nice Story and Photos!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Thanks guys. The set up was my Mathews Switchback XT set at 65# using Gold Tip Carbon's and slick trick 125 grain 4 blade broadheads. I've been very impressed with the slick tricks and have used them on all the grizzly/brown bears, musk ox and bison with great results.

Here are a couple more pictures...

Default Thanks

Great report and story. It doesn't get much better than that!

Thumbs up

What a SCORE! Jerod - YOU THE MAN!
    Great bow. Those SB's are killing machines!

Man, am I stoked for you. Congratulations!

Taylor

-[]------->

Default Confidence

Hey nice job Jerod you have lived one of my goals multiple times!

Questions time: I have honestly always been a little leary to stalk a brown/grizz bear as I usally always hunt alone. What are your experiences on the stalk and kill hunting with a bow I know I canot wield a pistol fast enough if things go south. So how do you handle this?

Have you ever had any close encounters or dangerous experiences?

Any additional info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Again Congrats on a great experience.

Thanks guys!

Moosehead, each stalk I've had on grizzly and brown bears I was seen by the bear at very close range, sometimes as close as 25 feet. Every bear I have hit has taken off like a bat outta hell in the opposite direction, and only a couple of times did I have a bear turn to me after seeing me and come in for a closer look. One warranted a less than optimal shot because I thought he was about to charge, and I ended up not getting the bear. It was popping its jaws and stood up on his hind legs, so I took the shot into its chest. I think the arrow went into a shoulder rather than through the chest cavity, and we found the bear a couple days later still foraging around.

Each time I head out after one, the thought goes through my mind, "what the hell am I doing?" The challenge and adrenaline rush is what really pushes me on. I know full well what I'm getting myself into, but in my experience, the bears want absolutely nothing to do with you, they might come closer to check you out, but the majority of the time they will head out in a hurry.

I went after this guy alone, and on both of my grizzlies I had no backup except the extra arrows in my quiver. Probably like a life vest though, it's good to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I just don't see a need for them from my experiences. I have held off on a stalk from a bear that looked too aggressive when I first started bowhunting, something just didn't feel right about going after him.

Biggest issue is movement. You can get away with being seen as long as you don't move. Draw back when he isn't looking or can't see you and keep your body as motionless as possible. Second biggest issue is calming your nerves. After the shot I generally try to knock another arrow right away, and it is nearly impossible sometimes with the shaking that I get after the shot. I'm generally calm and collective until after the arrow sails, then the adrenaline kicks in and I get the shakes. With grizzlies though, when they come in, I can feel the nerves start to kick in, especially when they are getting close. I get the same thing with other critters, but it is definately more prevalent with grizzlies. This was the furthest bow killed bear that I have shot at 25 yards. The others have been 8-15 yards.

This bear in the photo below got my nerves rattled the most, even more than the couple of mock charges that I've experienced. He came in slow, with his head down and just looked like he was pissed at me. All I had was a camcorder in hand and I was half a mile or more from the truck. He got within 20 yards, turned and started slowly moving off. I sat there in the tundra dead still filming him and luckily he turned and walked away.

Default pix

I can't see the pix - but like the context of the thread -

Have you shot a bear with a bow that was on a previous kill site?

I watched an interior Griz that was on a kill and he was very aggressive - I do not feel that I would have been able to stalk that particular bear with a bow - - even if I had been legal to do so (was then a non-res). Now that I am a resident - my head keeps taking me back to that very large aggressive griz on the kill - and I question my ability to keep it together without flubbing up causing a bear to notice me prior to or immediately after the arrow is on its way.

Default Awesome

Reply Jerod, I like it a lot and it was very informative.

I was putting the stock on one two weeks ago but, I was going down hill in a steep gorge as I got above him and then came down due to wind I closed down to under 50 yards as he was laying down lounging, rooting, and eating berries. I slipped made a bunch of noise due to slippery wet grass and it was raining sideways needless to say he came busting out of the brush running away from me at mach speed and let out a nice healthy growl. Sellf conciously the whole time I was thinking to myself what the hell am I doing. The grass was five feet tall and alders all around probably not the greatest stalking conditions at all. My problem is I just can't keep my nerves together on the stalk with all that piled up adrenaline.

Oh well it will work out one of these days. You rock in my mind so again Congrats and thanks for the right up Jerod.

-Nick

I found that I can stay more calm stalking them than I can in an ambush situation. All three of my grizzly/brown bears were taken in an ambush. With an ambush you are watching them come to you, and have plenty of time to think about what that bear could do to you. I think I like stalking more though, your set up sounds like it was a blast. It sucks that one bad step can ruin the whole thing. You gotta get on 'em where they are though. I'd like to get an interior grizzly now and am starting to plan a hunt in unit 13 next July. Gotta wait till then for a fresh tag.

One thing I can warn you about, is that when it finally comes together for you, it's one of the best feelings in the world. Being all shook up with adrenaline and the feeling of accomplishment at the same time is a pretty cool feeling. It took me 6 years to get my first grizzly so it was built up for a while with me.

congrats Jerod, pictures and story are great , as always. but seeing that bear and hearing the story first hand that evening was awesome. wish i had been in camp when you dropped by on the way out hunting. then i could have seen the action.
    CONGRATS AGAIN VERY NICE BEAR, 3 GRIZ/BRN IN THREE YEARS IS AWESOME

PAT
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Thumbs up

Nerves of steel, Jarod. Good for you. What we all have to remember is that once they are that close your alternatives are few: Shoot the bear. Allow him to leave when and how he wants. Or, show fear and get mauled. If you so much as turn your back on him you are going to get swatted at least.

Keep leaving naked, headless bodies all over the tundra Jarod! It's good for business!

Taylor

-[]------->

Pat, one of these years we'll have to plan a hunt together again rather than just meeting up in passing. Thanks again for your help carving up the bear. I felt horrible with my hand being useless, but at least we had our work mule there doing most of the work.

Marc, it is always interesting thinking about those options when you are that close. The thought about the bear attacking always runs through my mind and I keep telling myself that I'll fight back by putting the bear in a headlock and jumping on its back, but reality will hopefully never have to be proven to me that out maneuvering a bear like that will be pretty much impossible and I'll probably come out of the ordeal with my wife cashing in the life insurance policy or at the least, having a limb amputated.

July can't come soon enough so I can get a fresh bear tag and do a float hunt for interior grizzlies.

Great job Jarod....very cool!