Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game Processing

Default Game Processing

Does anyone have any thoughts on who is a reputable processor/good experience. Come moose season if I dont have the time to do it myself I would like to find a processor if at possible and what is the going rate for processing in AK?

Default Glenn's

I always process my own, but Glenn's in Muldoon has been highly recommended. Met him the other day and he seems like a straight shooter, is affordably priced, drinks Leinenkugel's and loves the Packers. I would go there if I couldn't do it myself.

www.glennswildgame.com

I'd go with http://www.indianvalleymeats.com/ they've been doing my caribou and moose every year since 2000 and no complaints here.... outstanding work and you get your own meat back... not some crap meat that someone didn't take proper care of.
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

I've been using Indian Valley Meats for ten years with no complaints. If you check all the other sites, they are also the cheapest per pound. Also they add a lower % of fat. I like that. I do my own burger then have them make hot polish sausage and terriyaki pepper sticks. YUM!!!

Here's a link to this subject from last year:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=40115

I have had great luck with both Delta Meat and Sausage and Mat Valley Meat. Never used Glenn's, but they look like a good outfit.

Default Do it yourself!!

You need to make time to process the meat yourself! If you don't know how ask, or find somebody to help teach you. The fish saying about giving you a fish or teaching you to fish applies here. You go through all the trouble to harvest the animal and get it back to your house. Why would you give it to somebody else who does not have your best interest at heart. They are business', they are there to make money. They don't get every piece of hair off of it, get all the non edible glands, tissues, fat and blood shot out of the meat before they grind. They may say they do but they don't always! If you want the very best product from field to table don't let anybody else do it for you, period!! Specialty products are different but take in at least the minimum batch size to only get you meat back. I have worked around some processors and they simply do not care behind closed doors for the most part. Ask questions and find somebody willing to show you how to do it and you are far better off. It will take a little expense to get set up properly and some time invested but the taste and finished product at the table is well worth it!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs down Fairbanks

Dont use the one in town here.! i am still waiting a month later for my 49lbs i dropped off.. was told a week... and can't pick it up to send ot delta???? pretty sure it got lost or other. also lost almost an entire moose to them two years ago...

there is a thread in the Pantry forum on it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Location

Was it the one in Fairbanks or North Pole? I dropped off 450 pounds of moose and should have it the first of next week. I had breakfast sausgae, summer sausage, moose sticks, and steaks made. It sounds so good.

Give Lisa at Pioneer Meats a call. Switched to her last year and will be using Pioneer Meats from now on.

I have also been less than satisfied with the processor in Fairbanks. I haven't used them in a couple years. Didn't have the problems that Vince has had, but did get a lot of meat back with hair in it. They may be good for fish, but I won't use them for meat any more.
    B-Y Farms used to be pretty good. I haven't tried them since they re-opened as Tanana Valley Meats, but I've heard good reports about them. And, of course, Delta Meat and Sausage has always been great.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Default AK Custom Meats

If in the Kenai/Soldotna area, I highly reccomend AK Custom Meats beside Trustworthy Hardware. He did both of the families moose so far this year and did a superb job on both.

Indian Valley also picks up at the airport, which is nice if your doing a fly out. Have heard only good things about Indian Valley as well. I would ask them to be careful and double check the meat if coming in Alaska Air Cargo. Alaska Air Cargo let our moose sit on the tarmak for a week last year while we were in caribou camp. We paid extra for the time in the freezer, and they failed to put it in there. Worse yet, even after the outside hands fessed up--the gal inside tried to claim she had seen it in the cooler earlier in the week. Bad dealings and got pennies on value in return.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Thumbs up Agree

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    You need to make time to process the meat yourself! If you don't know how ask, or find somebody to help teach you. The fish saying about giving you a fish or teaching you to fish applies here. You go through all the trouble to harvest the animal and get it back to your house. Why would you give it to somebody else who does not have your best interest at heart. They are business', they are there to make money. They don't get every piece of hair off of it, get all the non edible glands, tissues, fat and blood shot out of the meat before they grind. They may say they do but they don't always! If you want the very best product from field to table don't let anybody else do it for you, period!! Specialty products are different but take in at least the minimum batch size to only get you meat back. I have worked around some processors and they simply do not care behind closed doors for the most part. Ask questions and find somebody willing to show you how to do it and you are far better off. It will take a little expense to get set up properly and some time invested but the taste and finished product at the table is well worth it!
    Agree a hundred percent. Doing it yourself is the only way to go. You can guarantee the best product in the end. Not to mention saving a ton of money!
    "One Last Cast"

I do everything myself except for the hot dogs and sausage. We grind our own burger and trim all of the meat ourselves, including the stuff that is going to the processor. Once trimmed, we take the more tendon-rich meat into Alaska Sausage. Yeah, you don't necessarily get your own meat back there (although you do if getting burger made), but I can live with that. I have personally seen them turn away meat multiple times because it was not clean, and I have always gotten good product from them. At the end of the day, their hot dogs and sausages are WAY better than anything else I have tried - particularly their hot dogs. Nobody else even comes close with those. I'll be trying something new if I get a black bear this year - maybe Mat Valley Meats or Mike's Meats - but for hot dogs, I've just got to have Alaska Sausage.

Grinding your own burger is the only way to go, though.

I've had good luck with MatValley meat on the Palmer Wasilla Highway.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by onehook View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts on who is a reputable processor/good experience. Come moose season if I dont have the time to do it myself I would like to find a processor if at possible and what is the going rate for processing in AK?
    It depends on what part of the state you're talking about. Alaska is twice the size of Texas; this is sort of like asking if anyone knows a good taxidermist west of the Rocky Mountains...

In the Anchorage area I have had good results with both Indian Valley Meats, and Alaska Sausage.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Talking black bear

I killed a black bear this year and couldn't find any place that would process it other than Indian Valley. Mike meats was too busy. All Indian Valley will do is b-fast sausage with bear. I had that done with last years bear and they did a good job but we are not huge fans of breakfast sausage. We ended up borrowing a grinder. We ran the bear meat through once, mixed it with jimmy dean sausage, ran it though the grinder one more time and now we we have some very good hamburger and of course a few roasts, and back straps for the grill.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I WILL SAY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alaska sausage and seafood

HAS The VERY BEST LIVER SAUSAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

talk about liverwurst with a bit o spice in it... OMG!!!! smear some on some home made bread with miracle whip... and Dijon mustard

man i am getting gas just thinking of it ... its that good!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have to agree to all those that do it themselfs.

It taste's so much better if you know what you are eating.

Default I use

Indian Valley and Delta Meats. Indian valley is a long drive from Tok but it is for the jalepeno/cheese dogs and spicy polish and Delta for snack stick/teriyaki. Once I get my meat room set up, I will be doing it myself, but for now, those two have my business

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast