Thread: Primers

Default Primers

Hello all,
    I am new to the world of handloading and am still acquiring all the odds and ends. I was picking up some primers the other day to load .40S&W and they were out of regular small pistol primers. So the guy at the counter said I could use the small pistol magnum primers without any issue. Is this true? Does it affect my amount of powder charge?
    Thanks
    AKF

What store were you shopping at? My best advice is to buy a couple of reloading manuals!
    Some loads using magnum sp primers will up the pressure.

Well, I don't want to dirtshoot anybody so I'm not gonna post who it was. But I trust the guy and if he was wrong it was cause he was misinformed, not due to ill intent. I am just trying to find out if he's wrong so that I can grab some other primers as I am just gathering components at this time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    Well, I don't want to dirtshoot anybody so I'm not gonna post who it was. But I trust the guy and if he was wrong it was cause he was misinformed, not due to ill intent. I am just trying to find out if he's wrong so that I can grab some other primers as I am just gathering components at this time.

Any help would be appreciated.
    He's not completely wrong, but not completely right ether, the thing is the advice he gave is incomplete which makes it poor advice.

With some powers and loadings it would be fine, with others it could land you in the danger zone so you need to know exactly what you are doing, if you don’t already know what you’re doing you need some guidance. So what the guy should have said to you is that you can use mag primers with many lodes and then point you to a book so you do it right.

So yes . . . you can use mag primers in .40S&W, but it’s not a good idea to blindly substitute mags for standard primers.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Start at the lowest load in the reloading manual. Work your way up. You will probably reach max sooner with a magnum primer.

It also depends on the brand, some brands of magnum primers are not a whole lot hotter than other brands of standard primers.

Default you might also have some fail to fires

sometimes magnum primers require a little more striking force to set them off than standard primers ! It probably wont be a problem unless your gun has been modified or the springs are weak . If you have a fail to fire or a misfire empty the gun and check the barrel to be free from obstructions before shooting another round ! Kevin
    Little bullets might expand ! But big bullets never shrink !
    When you swim with big fish try not to act like bait !