Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: odd homes and alaska

Default odd homes and alaska

my brothers and sister say in the family i the one who comes up with a off the wall typle homes and i was allways thought that what makes us great at time ..
    so what are your off the wall off the grid typle homes if money was no object typle home so post your ideas here people

one of the homes i had a idea for was i read article about a man in mich area in the 1970s era time frame where i guy found a 15.ft round-x-15.ft tall -x-50.ft long horoizontal and covered with dirt ..
    he bult up the inside with a two story unit with the upper story was the bedroom for the family with two kids and the bottom floor was liveing room area and bathroom and kitchen area with a small staircase going up and down into the top to bottom floors and it was covered in dirt and had eartharching to protect it for moveing as need ..the family lived in it for years intill he moved out west somewhere i remember reading ..
    so tell me you off the wall dream homes

the guy who bought the tank said it was brand new and never been used and the people who made the tank sold it to him cheap and it was hauled out to the land that he owned and sit out there intill it got made into a house for the family over a year time frame..

ok guys your are tellling me here that not one person on this board has never thought if you had the money what typle of odd dream home you could come up with at the time ..

when my wife was alive she wanted a old fashion house that look like a old miliarty fort with the stockade around it bult at waist high typle ..with a log cabine in the back of the fence ..she got the idea for the house and fence and we went to a old western fort in the west and allways wanted one and house and fort to look like that

so let hear your ideas ..

I think most people were asleep, so the could not read your post.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

i sleep odd hours as it is for all the years in law enforcement ..so iam up and down at odd times ..
    i see this evening about the post

i seen a house that was in a dirt mount at big lake this summer, it looked like it must have been a meth lab, there were several cars parked around it, reminded me of the hills have eyes movie.
    Semper Fi!

I've had a few such ideas.

The latest idea is to get some ocean front land in PWS and have two shipping containers dropped off on the land. I'd level out a pad, whinch/roll the containers onto the pad and use them to store tools and supplies while building a cabin on top of the container foundation.

I've thought a 1/2 buried home in the interior would be easier to heat than a conventional cabin, but when you consider issues with permafrost, drainage, overflow et al, it can be more trouble than it's worth.

ok guys your are tellling me here that not one person on this board has never thought if you had the money what typle of odd dream home you could come up with at the time ..
    Yep. If I had the money my house would still be "normal"....just bigger with finer materials. Frankly, I am totally satisfied with my current house and would likely spend the money on a really big shop.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

come tell me about the dream garages ..
    iam in and out the courtroom all day waiting for this person retrial to end ..so i can get on my way up to alaska ..

just keep my mind off the supid things going on in trial right now..for iam waiting in a room with three other law enforcements typles for the recalled back to stand here and there ..
    for we are being kept away from the courtroom and we are to give our statements when called ..

Well if money was not an object, I always wanted to put a round house up on a pedestal on a hill here in Delta that would rotate with the sun, or just for a view of the surrounding mountains.

underground houses would be way more efficient, they just dont look pretty like our society likes.
    Semper Fi!

A friend of a friend had gotten ahold of an old crane "turret" (the rotating base part) and was planning to do just what Rockskipper described...I dont know if he actually did it but it sounded like a cool idea for a small cabin with no plumbing or electricity...

An Arizona senator that owned a ranch near ours had the coolest house I have ever been in. It was a Frank Lloyd Right 1930s design built in 1949 that looked like a horse shoe from above. The middle part was a courtyard with a swimming pool, lush gardens, a roll back greenhouse like roof, and barn doors to close the open end of the horse shoe. I was friends with his youngest son in high school and loved to go hang out at the pool swimming as the snow fell on that roof winter! The living/kitchen/dining rooms, what we call a ‘great room’ today, was in the toe of the shoe with rounded sliding glass doors 30 foot wide that opened 20 foot wide to the courtyard. One heel was a huge master sweat and the other 4 bedrooms with 2 baths, every room had a curved glass door to the courtyard. It was on the steep side of a flat toped mountain just below the top (which had an airstrip on it) and the views were over the treetops for miles of Ponderosa forest.

When the old man died in the late 90s the kids took a dozer to it, they said they could not afford the taxes on it. Also that due to no inflation it was too pricy to heat and not having a flat wall or window any place would be too expensive to update. I have made it a point to never drive past the tract house they built in its place, makes me too sad!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    A friend of a friend had gotten ahold of an old crane "turret" (the rotating base part) and was planning to do just what Rockskipper described...I dont know if he actually did it but it sounded like a cool idea for a small cabin with no plumbing or electricity...
    It's not that hard to plum and power it. I saw one on TV and when they showed how he did it I was shocked how simple it was.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

belive it or not.. in my truck that parked right at my brother house in seattle there is a complete set of blueprints for a underground round tank home set up that i was playing around with a couple of years ago ..
    i design a rough stetch on a paper then took to the guy and he did a three d-lay out of the two story tank home with layings with plumbing and elec runs and everything else it need to liveable for a person to live in..
    after reading the people back in mich idea i started to think about the idea for a while and still might do it just for sh--and gi--- at time when i get down the road..
    i found a company in kansas that will make the tank and ship to the a place that outfits rv there in kansas and make it look nice inside with a nice light wood shelfs and other rv typle items ..

belive it or not with the right typle of lighting a underground home is a very good way to go for cold weather liveing ..

I never thought about using a crane or an excavotor, but that would be cool to have a cabin on tracks.

Have to give that one some thought ,hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Default McGrath Rd in Fairbanks

Has a hose/fort that is build upon what looks like a radio tower, only a bit beefier. It is a circular shaped dwelling and it rotates! It is very cool. Every time I drive by it, I wish I could go up there and check it out.

As for my dream... it isnt that exotic, but I would love to have a hosue that is built into a hill so that I could have a great root/wine cellar and a cool place to hang out in the hot days of summer.

another friend of mine has often talked about building a hosue underground deep enough that the temperature never got much colder than about 38 degrees. He figured that the savings in fuel oil each year would be very high. I told him the trouble with that logic is that he woudl be heating his hose all year because the ground woudnt get much warmer than 38 degrees either

if you can get down about 10.ft into the earth it makes a big difference in how the house is heated and cooled ..

with extreme weather conditions it make a big difference in the heating and cooling of the house ..

with the cold of alaska the saveing on fuel oil in years times would to be able in three to five years would to buy a new truck every five years with cash in the amount of money saved each year..

the university of fairbanks did a study back in the 1970s time frame about underground homes and the effect and cost of the future cost of heating oil ..

google building underground home in alaska and it will come up somewhere on the front page of the seach engine.

the guy who wrote all the articles was a teacher at the university of fairbanks and a local guy up there..

the guys name was louis wampler..1978..

the progam was called the coopervative service program

there where a lot of programs that schools got money for to try and figure out how to make the underground homes work in cold weather....

the guy louis wampler figure out to do house on top fo the permafost inside a hill with the house faceing south toward the sun..

Default What about sod homes?

Are sod houses feasible in Alaska? They would be easy to heat and could be open on one whole side for light...

if you can get down about 10.ft into the earth it makes a big difference in how the house is heated and cooled ..

10' down in many areas of the Fairbanks area is into permafrost. A minimum of 32degF ground temperature, probably less. Average temp for the year in Fairbanks is about 27 deg F . On that level alone you would probably see a savings in fuel, but not a tremendous amount. 1978 technology in building homes is not 2009 technology in building homes.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast