Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150hp Performance

Default 150hp Performance

So I just recently bought a used Hewescraft 220 Ocean Pro with Hardtop and Extended Transom. The boat came with a 150hp Honda for a main motor. Honda doesn't have a performance report for a 150hp on an OP but Yamaha does. According to the performance report, a Yamaha 150hp should have its best cruise at 21mph and top speed of close to 42mph. My honda tops out at just under 30mph and I can't figure best cruise, but it seems to be around 20-24mph. The Honda performance report is just for a Sea Runner and not an OP. It says its best cruise is about 17mph and tops out at 35mph.

Now the Yamaha uses a 14.25 x 17 prop while my honda and the report uses a 15.25 x 15 prop. I am somewhat dissappointed with my performance and would like to see about getting it up closer to the Yamaha. My first thought is to put on a prop similar to the Yamaha. I just can't see a Honda doing that much worse than a Yamaha but maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone have any ideas or any experience with Honda on an OP.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

One other thing. I'm cruising at 24mph at about 5100 rpm. It maxes out around 5400 rpm at 28-29mph. Honda says top end rev is between 5k to 6k.

Wow that's interesting! I have a Yammie f150 and I top out around 42 at 5900 RPM and I typically cruise at 30 mph or so. 14.25x15 SS 4 bladed prop on my boat.

Ken

Yeah that's what I was expecting to get out of this boat and I am definitely not happy about the performance I'm getting. Do you have an OP or a SR?

I have a 22' sr ET/HT. So running it at wide open did you try trimming the motor up or down to see if you get in increase or decrease in RPM? And I just looked at the Honda specs and that seems really odd. The other thing is it could be the prop size. If I remember right Spoiled One used A-1 and they let him try a bunch of different props out till he found the right combo.

That does not seem right to me. Hondas are a strong running motor. Something is rotten in Denmark! Just a couple of questions. Did you leave the harbor with your trailer? What is your WOT rpm while trimmed out? Do you(boat too) have a clean bottom? I have been in a 22 foot hewes SR with a 115 with five adults, fuel and fish and we topped out in the low 30's. I used A-1, like Ken said, and they did me right, but I suspect that something else is going on here. Are you sure the engine was trimmed up as far as you could go for your WOT? (Just before cavitation) What were the conditions. Can you post your fuel burs and speeds at specific rpms. That might point to something.

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

You know I never did check to see if the trailer was attached. Was I supposed to do that

So yeah, I have owned boats my whole life so I do know about trim and such. I basically get it up on plane, and then try and trim it out to where it is getting the best combination of speed and rpm.

This boat is a bit different though. On my last boats I would trim it out just like Spoiled One suggested. Up to just before it cavitates. This boat will actually lose speed if I trim it up too far rarely cavitating. Seems odd. So basically, to get max speed, I gave it max throttle and then trimmed it up to where it maxed out. That was like 5400rpm doing about 28-29mph. Seems pretty crappy. I have been cruising at 5100-5200rpm at about 24-26mph. Both of these readings are trimmed out. One outing I had 4 folks and a days worth of gear. Another outing we had gear for a single overnight, 2 people, 3 dogs. Both had full fuel of 85 gallons. I know its alot of gear and weight but we should still be able to do better.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    That was like 5400rpm doing about 28-29mph. Seems pretty crappy. I have been cruising at 5100-5200rpm at about 24-26mph.
    Any ideas?
    I think you are over propped. Max rpm should be close to 6000. I have spent a lot of time playing with props, but do not see how you can hit the 40+mph that the yammies are getting unless there is some underlying issue here. How many hours are on the motor? How is your fuel burn at different RPMS?
    Last edited by spoiled one; 08-26-2009 at 22:25. Reason: forgot something
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Well I don't know my fuel burn exactly but we put on 5.5hrs and burned 24.5 gallons. Most of this time was cruising at 24mph. Pretty good economy it seems. I sure its a little off as we were cruising the entire time but its a good guestimate.

The motor runs like a top and only has 560hrs on it. I have thought about possibly selling it and getting a Yamaha but don't think I could get anything for it. So that's probably out for a few years anyway.

Any other ideas?

May want to check your throttle cable and make sure you're getting WOT at the engine. Also check that the cavitation plate is even with bottom of boat. Being that you bought the boat used, I would also change all fuel filters.

I have the 220 Ocean Pro with the Yamaha f150 fourstroke. I have the Yamaha 3 blade aluminim 16 pitch (forget the diamater). I cruse between 21 and 25 knots around 4000-4500 rpms. My top speed is only around 31 knots (all gps) at 6000 rpms. So far I am running pretty loaded (full tank and the family and friends). The yamaha performance report for this combo is running 2 people and maybe a 1/3 of a tank (makes a huge difference) and they are running the stainless series prop specifically designed for the F150 motor line (reliance) but since my boat is a commuter to the beach and a fishing/hunting boat I can't run stainless (better to ruin a cheap prop than expensive gears and stuff). All that being said I am very happy with my 150 on the boat. I frequently run it loaded to the capacity plate people wise and a full tank of gas and it isn't lacking on power. A higher cruise above 30 would be nice though and you get that with the 200 or 225. But I like the economy.

Sobie2....It would be great to talk boats with you as we just got this. I have to admit it's a little dissappointing about the performance but the boat overall is pretty nice. We get good economy and I don't really need to do 40mph, but the option would be nice when we need the extra power, say in big seas. When its time to replace the engine I will definitely be upgrading to a larger engine.

Replacing the fuel filters is probably a good idea regardless of whether it affects this problem. I will get that done this weekend.

Thanks again for all the help and keep the suggestions coming.

Default Impact on speed

I was running back from Pony Cove last year and could not figure out why my 22' HT/SR 115 Yamaha was running so slow. Turns out, I forgot to pull the 9.9 kicker up out of the water. Just that little bit of extra drag really slowed me down. Yup, felt like a fool. Some mistakes you only make once.

Its amazing how many little mistakes you can make. I've left the plug out once before. Hope that doesn't happen again.

This last time out I put the pots down in the boat instead of on top, gained another 1-2mph. Crazy how much the drag makes a difference.

Your tach indicates crankshaft RPM, correct? While shopping engines I found it interesting how much the final gearing differed between Yamaha and Honda, but I had no idea how the gearing would affect me. In the case of this thread, it would stand to reason that gearing may impact prop speed at an indicated RPM. Prop for prop on the two brands may not offer equal top speeds. Right?

I think you're exactly right. I wouldn't expect this boat to get the same performance as the 150hp Yamaha with the same prop just for the reasons you said. However, my boat sure seems to have the wrong sized prop on it. I just can't imagine that a 150hp Yamaha has that much better performance than a 150hp Honda. They should at least be fairly similar. I'm just trying to make sure my expectations aren't out of line.

Normally I would go talk to a Honda dealer but we all know the problem with that given I'm located in Anchorage.

I equate prop stuff to what we learn as pilots. An airplane has a narrow RPM range that it must reach to maintain airworthiness. For a boat I'd make what adjustments were necessary to achieve max rated RPM at my heaviest "normal" load.

Ron's Honda in Soldotna will let you try different props until you get the one you want. I've tried several and settled on a 17 pitch on my twin 150 Honda's. Need to get your WOT RPM up around 5800 to 6100 for sure.

Sounds like either your engine isn't making peak power, or perhaps your prop is damaged. I find it hard to believe the 150 honda won't get peak rpm with a 15" pitch prop on a 220 sea runner. If anything I'd have expected you to easily hit top rpm with the 15" pitch. It sounds like you have a 19" prop on your engine based on the top rpm.

I'd highly recomend getting one of the fuel burn units to see what your engine is doing. It is the best tool for figuring out the best cruise speed for your boat/engine/prop, and it'll also give you an idea if your engine is really running at full speed. Your engine should be burning ~13 gph at wot.

I'm thinking the top speed of 42mph may be a bit optomistic. I'd also expect the best cruise speed to be ~2/3 of the top speed, not 1/2 the top speed. Also look at weather the performance numbers are in mph or knots, different people use different units and it's easy to get them mixed up. I'd expect your best cruise to be in the ~22 knot ~ 25mph range and top speed ~31 knots ~36 mph.

Don't forget that the Honda 150 has vtec and that you want your engine when cruising to be below the cam switch over point to get sweet fuel economy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast