Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Lake Louise water level

  1. #1
    Member rrjfish8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    161

    Default Lake Louise water level

    Anyone know how the water level at Lake Louise is right now. I was up the 3rd week in june and am going back up. Just would like to know if it is up or down from then and what it is most years at this time

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Member rrjfish8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    161

    Default

    THANKS FOR THE INFO MAYBE i WILL JUST HAVE TO STICK TO THE MAIN LAKE

  4. #4
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    I asked a friend out there what the water levels were and he said that the lake has not settled down enough to get an accurate measurement. He noted that is is down.

    I would avoid going between or near ANY islands or weedbeds at speed unless you know the area well. If you see weedbeds that are turning brown, it is shallow!

    The nasty hull raker heartbreaker near the middle of the lake is 3-4 feet out of the water.

    I believe that the lake turned over last weekend. Lots of foam and suspended sediment/vegetation. Water temp dropped. I do not know for sure.

    Fish have been tight lipped, lake has been a bit rough, winds gusty, cold nights, little wildlife in the last 3 weeks.

    Be Safe - If you have VHF, call out "northbound channel" and "channel clear" and likewise when heading to/from Susitna. Do not stop in the channel.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    124

    Default Use VHF channel 11

    To add a bit to DirtofAk's good advice:
    Call out on VHF channel 11 when entering and leaving the channel. Announce your direction of travel; prop boats slug slow thru there, jets go thru on-step and with speed. If a jet knows your a prop boat entering the channel, they'll wait for you to clear before running thru. It can get down right scary if you meet another boat in there unawares'.
    The channel was so low 2 weeks ago that one person I know who has a cabin back on Susitna and runs a 20ft Searunner with a prop ( go figure ), said he had to get out and push a couple of times to get thru the channel.
    Lake hasn't turned over yet. Surface temp still around 52 deg. per a friends phone call today.
    By the way- just for the record-- THERE ARE NO FISH IN THAT LAKE.

  6. #6
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    To add a bit to DirtofAk's good advice:
    Call out on VHF channel 11 when entering and leaving the channel. Announce your direction of travel; prop boats slug slow thru there, jets go thru on-step and with speed. If a jet knows your a prop boat entering the channel, they'll wait for you to clear before running thru. It can get down right scary if you meet another boat in there unawares'.
    The channel was so low 2 weeks ago that one person I know who has a cabin back on Susitna and runs a 20ft Searunner with a prop ( go figure ), said he had to get out and push a couple of times to get thru the channel.
    Lake hasn't turned over yet. Surface temp still around 52 deg. per a friends phone call today.
    By the way- just for the record-- THERE ARE NO FISH IN THAT LAKE.
    I am starting to believe you...... them tight lipped bastages. I threw the tackle box at them. Nope....

  7. #7

    Default Keep an eye out...

    Please keep an eye out for us little guys when going through the channel. We don't have radios handy and usually travel pretty slow in there. Canoes don't handle too well when a large jet boat skips past them around a corner.

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    230

    Exclamation Be listening

    If you are in a small boat or canoe in the channel, my best advice to you is to always be paying attention and listening very carefully while traveling from one lake to the other. If we don't know your are in there, (lack of radio) its always a good idea to try to get out of the way when you hear the big boats coming.
    I have traveled through that channel more times than I can remember, but I do remember times when smaller boats were sitting smack dab in the middle when I came around the blind corners. Not much to do then but hang on and hope the bigger boats skipper is paying attention and looking ahead.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default turn the motor off and listen before entering

    That's really the only way to hear my quiet motor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    If you are in a small boat or canoe in the channel, my best advice to you is to always be paying attention and listening very carefully while traveling from one lake to the other. If we don't know your are in there, (lack of radio) its always a good idea to try to get out of the way when you hear the big boats coming.
    I have traveled through that channel more times than I can remember, but I do remember times when smaller boats were sitting smack dab in the middle when I came around the blind corners. Not much to do then but hang on and hope the bigger boats skipper is paying attention and looking ahead.

  10. #10
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Ahhhhh......the channel, it sure was easy traveling last yr. Looks like this may be one of those low water yrs.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    124

    Default

    In June, I thought this was actually one of the highest water level yrs I've seen in the last 20 or 30 there. But a very, very dry July led to a huge drop in water levels beginning the last week in July. ( but who knows what really causes it).
    I had to reset my anchor bouy another 30 ft farther out in front of my cabin 3 weeks ago, so the back end of my boat wouldn't pound the sand in those nice friendly 2-3 ft waves that come running in to visit all too frequently.

    But I have increased my beach property by 6ft or more...

    Hey Dirt'- I find that the underhand toss of the tacklebox is more effective than the overhand or sidearm technique...

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    230

    Default I won't hear your motor

    In regards to Family Man's comment about turning off your motor so we can hear his quiet boat: In my case, and with many others I am sure, turning off the motor of our jet boats so as to try and hear your quiet motor is not going to work, at least not for me.
    I need to be on step long before entering channel from Lk Louise to prevent bottoming out on sand shoals which are very shallow upon approach to north end of lake.
    My comment about listening carefully was directed towards people using small, slow moving boats while they are in the channel. Seems to me that they will hear a jet boat coming from far away, and have time to scoot out of the main channel before it arrives, it would be prudent to do so.
    We all have the right to use that channel, thing is that some people are dictated by type and size of boat they are using. It takes everyones cooperation to make it work and be safe.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default yes, before entering

    Yes, out by those bouys, well before you enter the channel is the right place to turn off your jet and listen. I won't be dallying about while in the channel, and if I hear ya coming while Im in there I'll head for the weeds quick.... and hold on tight.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Interesting discussion, not having been on Lake Louise, where does the channel go?

  15. #15
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    In June, I thought this was actually one of the highest water level yrs I've seen in the last 20 or 30 there. But a very, very dry July led to a huge drop in water levels beginning the last week in July. ( but who knows what really causes it).
    I had to reset my anchor bouy another 30 ft farther out in front of my cabin 3 weeks ago, so the back end of my boat wouldn't pound the sand in those nice friendly 2-3 ft waves that come running in to visit all too frequently.

    But I have increased my beach property by 6ft or more...

    Hey Dirt'- I find that the underhand toss of the tacklebox is more effective than the overhand or sidearm technique...
    Are you on the left by the channel?

    I should have taken pictures of my fish finder. I should have turned off the fish alarm, it sounded like new wave punk rock. I plan to use my FishTV next weekend if they are in there. I need to find a good scent to use also. Tried many, nothing consistent yet.

    Mike

  16. #16
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    Interesting discussion, not having been on Lake Louise, where does the channel go?
    Susitna Lake, then Tyone, then all the way to Cook Inlet.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    If you are in a small boat or canoe in the channel, my best advice to you is to always be paying attention and listening very carefully while traveling from one lake to the other. If we don't know your are in there, (lack of radio) its always a good idea to try to get out of the way when you hear the big boats coming.
    I have traveled through that channel more times than I can remember, but I do remember times when smaller boats were sitting smack dab in the middle when I came around the blind corners. Not much to do then but hang on and hope the bigger boats skipper is paying attention and looking ahead.
    Sorry, but with our engines running (15hp outboards) we can't hear other boats all that well unless they are right on you (unless it is an airboat). We don't mess around in there any longer than needed, just ask that if you are running through the channel at high speeds that you are paying really close attention in case you do come across us.

  18. #18
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    230

    Smile Red Alert

    Every time I ever go through the channel, all systems are on red alert and my eyes are wide open and straining to see around the corners. Best way to go is just stay on the right side as far as water depth and draft will allow you. Jets have a little bit of lattitude to go around you. Most dangerous place is the 90 degree left turn just coming out of Louise. I usually have my top open and am standing up straining to see around it.

  19. #19
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    The LL community has been using a DR field and brush mower on the hill making it easier to see oncoming traffic. A couple of great Americans with community safety in their hearts spend their time to set the bouys and mow. Quite an unselfish act IMO.

    I go through after hailing channel 11 with my intentions. I go 1/2 throttle, on step and plan to spin out of bank it to avoid a collision. Then I call that I have cleared the channel.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •